Cameras forum

General discussion

Best camera for shooting jewelry for online store

by seismo123 / March 21, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

I have a small online business selling native american jewelry. Though I know about the jewelry, my knowledge of digital cameras is lacking. Does anyone have relevant advice on a good micro camera (reasonably priced)? I'm replacing my Coolpix to get better image quality. I don't think I need large pixel quality as I have to reduce all pics to 100x100 and ~ 600x600. Thanks for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best camera for shooting jewelry for online store
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best camera for shooting jewelry for online store
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recently discussed. The advice came down to lighting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

A light box and any camera seems to work fine at the resolutions needed for a web page. The recurring message is to use a light box and small tripod. Extra points for a remote release (the thing that you push to take a picture.)

Bob

Collapse -
On-line Store Photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 8:25 AM PDT

Here is a link to a short course in tabletop photography:

http://www.shortcourses.com/using/tabletop/chapter7.htm

I suggest you read the short-course before you start looking for the camera.

All name brand digital camera have a macro option for taking close-ups of small objects.
Macro mode will let you focus from a few inches up to about 18 inches.
The regular lens setting will let you focus from where the macro mode leaves off (18 inches) all the way out to infinity.

The actual limit to macro mode will vary, depending upon which camera you buy.

A camera with some manual controls will give you more control of the aperture so that you can get the best "depth of field". Very important when photographing any 3 dimensional object.

One line of small cameras by Canon has a LCD display that can tilt and swivel. This is helpful when trying to focus on a small object.
(Canon A620,A630, A640). It keeps you from putting your neck at an awkward angle. Those cameras have the necessary manual controls.

If those cameras are above your budget...look at the Canon A540.
It can be found for under $200. It takes sharp photos and has manual controls in addition to the auto controls.

As Bob said....lighting is the most important element in macro shooting.
And a tripod is a must if you want images that are sharp and clean.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice but can I use your eyes?
by seismo123 / March 21, 2007 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: On-line Store Photos

I want to thank both of you for the advice. Not to try to sell here but I need an objective pov of the photos that we (my employee) is taking. I have to work another job to help the store. Maybe looking at the photos you will understand. www.indiansungallery.com
We have the tripod and small white shooting box. Something is just not 'there' with the photos, and as we know, the photo sells the product. Will Image stabilization help?
Is it just a problem with color balance or field depth? We have 2 types of products, jewelry and everything bigger than the box. Maybe the camera is fine and all I need to invest in is the lighting. I just don't want to spend tons of cash I don't have.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Tabletop Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

I see what you mean.
The photos are not in razor sharp focus.

You didn't mention what model Nikon you are using.
That might tell me a bit more.

Since you are using a light-box and a tripod, you do not need image stabilization. However...it is possible that you are getting camera movement when the shutter is tripped.
A suggestion....use the cameras shutter delay....so that no hands are touching the camera when the shutter trips. Most digital cameras have a 10 second shutter delay.

I took a copy of several of the enlarged photos and looked at them using Photoshop Elements 3.

The Canyon de chelly beads do have a "depth of field" problem at the top end. It appears you had them hanging on something that caused the top end to be further from the camera.

I used the Photoshop Elements software to sharpen the images:

Filter/Sharpen/unsharp mask
settings: amount 100%, Radius 1.2, Threshold 0

This made all of the images look better.

If you don't have a Photoshop program,
here is a way to see what a software sharpening will do.

Go the www.irfanview.com and download the free irfanview program.

Look at one of your photos with Irfanview and then sharpen the image to see the effect:
Image/Sharpen

See if that appeals to you.

Photoshop's unsharp mask gives you more control and a slightly better look.

What model Nikon are you using?

Collapse -
This Thread Has Been Locked by the Forum Moderator
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 5, 2009 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Tabletop Photography

People are attempting to use this old thread for advertising purposes.

Therefore it is now locked.

Advertising is not permitted on any of the CNET Forums.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?