Camcorders forum

General discussion

best camera for professional quality video?

by Meistro1 / March 14, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum the last few days and have been enjoying everyone.

My budget for everything is around $2000. Basically what I want to do is make my own (very low budget :P) T.V. show. Think talk show, I'm going to have 3 people sitting in chairs talking. What exactly do I need to film this? I've already got the video editting software and I can make one of those steady cams. What sort of camera will I need to have rather high quality video (comparable to say the movie clerks?) What else will I need? Thank you! Will $2000 be enough?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best camera for professional quality video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best camera for professional quality video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think you are even close. I would forget about
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

buying cameras, and get some training. A pro quality camera will start about $3,000 and go up fairly quickly. Add sound, lights, tripod, etc., and the knowledge to set up the camera, sound, lights, etc. plus the knowledge needed to edit the results when you are done.

$2,000 simply will not do it.

Collapse -
luckily
by Meistro1 / March 14, 2007 7:37 PM PDT

Knowledge is free, I am confident I can learn to operate the camera through extensive research into the subject. How much am I looking at?

Collapse -
You clearly didn't understand what I said. It's far more
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: luckily

than learning how to operate a camera. How much for camera, lights, sound, etc.? My guess is $5,000 to $10,000.

Collapse -
Dude, no need for $10,000 lights
by ihenrickson / March 18, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

I beg to differ.
I could do that easily under $500.
I'm sure he is not speaking of a broadway production, hence the "low budget."
For a "low budget" production, you can get by with a lot more stuff.
Like duck tape.
Though I do agree that for a more "professional" camera, he'll be looking at a price tag off a bit more than $2000.

(originator of thread)
Are you thinking high definition or standard def?
Or are you just going to keep saving...

Collapse -
Who said anything about $10,000 lights?
by Kiddpeat / March 18, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

Are people having an increasing problem with reading comprehension these days? Sometimes it's better to read and understand before speaking.

Collapse -
Not the most constructive advice is it?
by whitelabel2k / July 18, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

Really, some poor chap is asking for advice and you essentially tell him to bring more money or not bother. Horrible.

Collapse -
Difference between home and pro...
by Papa Echo / September 26, 2008 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: luckily

What kind of differences are you look for ? For your purpose of filming a talk show, what is wrong with a home movie cam ? Why won't a simple SONY DV cam (or the hogher end HD models) do the job ?

Collapse -
There are good cheap pro cameras out there
by techie12345 / April 25, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

I Would Recomend ebay for a good rig. i bought a Canon gl2 in almost new condition with a canon Wide angle lense, Azden xlr shotgun mic, xlr adapter, three batteries, all the cables and accesories, and a lowepro backpack case for 1850, everything in pristine shape. then there is a nice davis and sanford fluid head tripod at BH for only 200 bucks. unless you are doing a narrative film or super low light a lighting kit is not needed and a waste of money. also i am confused because clerks is shot on black and white so how can you compare quality to a pro cam? what kind of quality do you need?

Collapse -
Professional video is a very loose term
by g4guy333 / September 26, 2008 7:08 AM PDT

You never told us where your video would be shown, if it was to be shot in high def or standard def. Many projects can be done cheaper by planning and executing them to a precise time table.
Making rental of the equipment a cheaper way to go without the hassles of maintience. Weekend and off time rentals of equipment can give you a great bargain.
I have also used makeshift lighting kits from standard home lighting florescent tubes attached to floor mike stands. As long as all the lighting comes form the same type of light the camera can be adjusted for optimal color. Be creative and save.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.