Cameras forum

General discussion

Best camera for my needs ??

by lldorsey / September 26, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

I am going crazy trying to figure out what the best camera would be for my needs. I would like something $400 or less.
Here's what I plan to use it for:
* auction pictures
* pictures for website (animals, family, school projects)
* soccer (so I'd like it to have the movie mode (preferrably with sound) as well as a good zoom
* possible enlargements up to 5x7 or 8x10

My brain hurts Happy
Any advise ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best camera for my needs ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best camera for my needs ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Best camera for my needs ??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 4:54 AM PDT

I could get by with my 300 buck refutb by Kodak 6490 (included the dock). And would certainly try out the 7440.

Bob

Collapse -
by Caira01 / September 26, 2004 11:39 AM PDT

You only need 3 mp to get a decent 8 x 10. I would avoid spending the cash on 4mp, especially if you plan on doing the majority of display on the web - high mp are not nearly as important for computer viewing. My Kodak 3.1 mp took pretty good photos, but I had several repair issues & will never recommend them. But 3 mp was great for the 8x10s I printed. I would look at Canon or Nikon - but from there I am in the same dilema myself as to which one... Good luck!

Collapse -
by rgfitz / September 27, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

This is the opinion of an amateur with three digital cameras and the experience of giving four more to children and grandchildren.

First decide if you want a point-and-shoot camera (which sounds like what you need) or something more "professional" that will take various lens attachments.

Then decide if you want a small pocket camera or a larger camera. It is certainly easier to carry the pocket cameras around and use unobtrusively.

Finally decide if you have a printer that will give you a good quality print on glossy photo paper.

In my opinion, my Nikon Coolpix, Fuji Finepix, and Minolta Dimage (2.1 to 3.2 MP) cameras can give excellent quality 8X10 in prints. Certainly much better than most of the ones I took with 35mm cameras for 30 years. Ninety percent of the time I use the pocket Minolta which cost a lot less than $400!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.