Cameras forum

General discussion

Best camera for mom

by gingeoff / June 22, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

I am looking for a digital camera with good zoom capabilities, excellent color (kids with beautiful blue eyes!) and a few more advanced options that will capture active kids. I have owned two Kodak Easy Share point and shoot cameras, but have become bored with the lack of options. I'm ready to go to the next level and capture some genuine keepers of my kids! Taking pictures of my kids is really my only hobby, but I don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best camera for mom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best camera for mom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check this page out...
by twuhing / June 22, 2005 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Best camera for mom

Hi, as a semi-professional digital camera user for several years, I feel I could give a little tip:
Go to this page:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120350,00.asp

The number one camera, if in your budget, is excellent; easy to use, has a pretty good zoom (optical is always best).

You can click on "Compare" if you wish to surf the possibilities.

Cheers

Collapse -
Thanks!
by gingeoff / June 22, 2005 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Check this page out...

I appreciate the help!

Collapse -
The Bank
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 9:16 AM PDT

You failed to mention where breaking the bank starts:

If you want lots of features but do not want a camera with manual controls, look at the Nikon 5900 and 7900.
(about $260 and $360).

If you want to graduate to intermediate photography, get a camera with Manual Controls:

The Canon S60 or S70 would be nice.
(about $400 and $450).

Here is a side-by-side view of their specifications:

http://tinyurl.com/cge55

Collapse -
Thank you!
by gingeoff / June 22, 2005 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: The Bank

Thanks for the info.!

Collapse -
Camera for taking pictures of blue eyes children
by mamajenn / June 22, 2005 9:37 PM PDT

You have definitely come to the right site to ask questions as there are some really great photography minds at work on this site. I am not one of those; however, being an ole retired science teacher, I research everything to death. When my Kodak LS 443 died a sudden death, I put my fingers to work. I knew that I wanted a terrific optical zoom and a camera that did not give my blue eyed grandson red eye. By asking a lot of questions, I settled on the Konica Minolta F5 and have been extremely pleased with my purchase. It has auto and manual controls, (which the manual is not important to me but it has them), 5 megapixels (which is only important if you plan to blow up a picture), 12X optical zoom (which is the most important zoom) and 4X digital zoom (which most leave off), hot shoe capability (can add an external flash) and anti shake (which is a must when you get over 8X zoom. I bought this camera for $415.00 out the door and I will also receive a $25.00 gift card and a $50.00 rebate which will bring the camera to $340.00. I added the 5 year warranty for $200.00 which covers everything, even if the camera gets wet. That is a fantastic price for a camera that has the highest optical zoom, anti shake, hot shoe and it takes great pictures (my grandson no longer has red eye). I would strongly suggest that you compare this camera. I bought my camera a Ritz and have found their sales associates to be extremely helpful. As stated earlier I am not a professional photographer, just like yourself, just want great pictures of my family and the eagles soaring over the lake. Have fun shopping and good luck. Jen

Collapse -
Great info.
by gingeoff / June 22, 2005 11:36 PM PDT

Thanks for the information. I am so glad to hear that you went from Kodak to another brand. The zoom information is very important to me. I'm putting the Konica Minolta F5 on my list of prospects.

Thanks, again!

Collapse -
blue
by mamajenn / June 22, 2005 11:22 PM PDT

Well, you would think that I would know how to spell eyed. Sorry for not checking message.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.