Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Best Camcorder for Dark or low-light ambients?

Hi there all

I was wondering if any ouf you guys know which one(or which ones) is the best camera (in the market now) that provides the best video quiality when shooting in dark or low-light ambients, without the need of external light sources. It doesn't matter if the camcorder is mini-dv or High Definition, etc; I just want to know the best one on this.
Your help would be very apprecited.

Thank you very much
Radio-ear

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Camcorder for Dark or low-light ambients?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Camcorder for Dark or low-light ambients?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These are very expensive.

In reply to: Best Camcorder for Dark or low-light ambients?

You can spot them as the huge lens needed is a dead give away. Also the price is in the 5K range. Is that acceptable?

Collapse -
Low light camcorders

We really need to know how much you want to spend and what you are trying to accomplish at what levels. In the end the more you spend the better low light images you will get.

For example...just a low quality image like for security or something you want to watch on TV or ???. A consumer price range ($500 -$1200) or a prosumer price range ($1800 - $5000)?

Are you just looking for black and white very low light or are you looking for colors in natural light settings (say indoors with normal lights on)?

Either way the larger the lens you have the better the low light performance. Think of how your eye pupil dilates in the dark to see better. The bigger the lens opening the better you can see.

I purchased a Sony HVR-V1U (about $3,500) for its low light capability. It is a "broadcast" quality High Definition camera with a large lens and relatively large body. I first tried the next camera down (smaller lens, one CMOS chip instead of 3 about $1800). While it was still High Def - it just could not pull in enough lighting from "naturally lit" shots. I my case these shots were of an orchestra on stage with normal stage lighting. I wanted to be able to pick up enough detail to see the performer's faces while they were performing (even though they were far away and small relative to the TV screen size).

If you are interested in great HD from naturally lit shots consider visiting a supplier to video professionals. They will have cameras with larger lenses (and prices) so you can match your needs against the amount you can spend. I sure am glad I did because the first "prosumer" camera I picked up from them just could not gather enough light. The allowed me to trade up to the next larger camera (the HVR-V1U) without any restocking fee. Can't do that mail order!

Good luck!

Jim H

Collapse -
Night vision mode & old big big lens

In reply to: Low light camcorders

HI

some camcorders have Night vision mode, what about that ?

Regarding big lens many peoples have old time big lens but i have no idea how to attached them?
even i have seen in 2nd hand market old JVC lens from old move cameras very cheep BUT can some one guide how to attaches them ?

Collapse -
Try it and see

In reply to: Night vision mode & old big big lens

About the only way I could determine which camera had good enough low light capability for me was to try them (I struck gold on my fourth try).

Probably the same for you. There is a big difference between a green monochrome (B&W) image, a grainy color image with high gain and a decently colored inside natural light image. How much you spend and what you purchase will be determined by the amount of detail you want for a given lighting setup.

Jim

Collapse -
nightshot

i think the sony ccd-trv228e hi8 or simular type model are best
for night shooting. they have nightshot plus.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.