Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Buy Service Plan - worth it?

by penaltybox / September 23, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

This has probably been explored before, but I couldn't find anything too recent on this.

Generally, is Best buy's Performance Service Plan worth it? The laptop I'm buying is $850.00 (Canadian). The Service Plan is $229.00 for 2 years, and $299.00 for three.

Compared to the price of the laptop, the service plan seems pretty expensive. I've always heard that these plans are not worth it, but the salesperson gave me a hard sell and, against my better judgement, I found myself having second thoughts.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Buy Service Plan - worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Buy Service Plan - worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Service plans . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 23, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

are the most profit a company can make. Well documented that the seller of the plan makes 100% profit if the plan is never used.

But!

The price of the plan is less than almost any laptop repair. Use it once and you've paid for it. But look at the fine print. Some plans have the option to cancel if the repair is more than the cost of the plan!

Hard decision with no easy answer.

Collapse -
Normally No.
by Renegade Knight / September 23, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

Most times the answer is "no it's a complete waste of money". But.

Do you plan on breaking your equipment? If yes, then they are worth it. I break every single electronic thing I touch. This has been true for the past 10 years. Plans are worth it for me. Heck I break things and nobody would say I do anything but take good care of my equipment.

The best buy plan is expensive.
Dell/Lenovo both offer far cheaper plans that run longer. Heck even WalMark has a less expensive plan. (I actually have a laptop taking advantage of that plan which just saved me the entire cost of the plan).

Collapse -
Keep in mind that 2 and 3 year plans
by Steven Haninger / September 23, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

are actually 1 and 2 year plans if you already get a 1 year warranty. This would mean that going with the 2 year plan gives you 1 additional year of coverage for $229. That's steep. These are insurance policies and not true service agreements. It's a gamble...and, as another poster states, the plan might allow for just a refund of your money and your your dead laptop back if they stand to lose. Read the fine print. Laptops are becoming throw aways and, 3 years down the road, that $299 might go a long way toward getting a new one.

Collapse -
the best buy
by CODAMAN12 / September 26, 2008 2:37 PM PDT

plan covers what the manufacture doesn't cover during the first year (surge issues, wear and tear, accidental damage). With Circuit City and some others, if you have a problem, say 6 months into the 1st year warr. you have to contact the manufacture first before their warranty kicks in. With the Best Buy plan you just take it in or send it in (depending what you bought) I worked for CC and BB for over 10 year (NO MORE!) Yes, I was good at selling those plans and they do make money hand over fist on them. These plan are not for everyone. I do buy them because I have benefited from them. As posted earlier, it can be a real help on laptops. Read the fine print, if you get one, get the one that fits the computer and your life style. Be an educated buyer!

Collapse -
Extra Warranty
by choosenotebook / September 26, 2008 7:17 PM PDT

Personally, I never buy it... but then I fix all the minor stuff myself.

Probability wise, I don't think it's worth it. Of course there's always a chance you can get a lemon, but if you think of it, when was the last time you've seen a laptop part fail on its own?

Hard drives seem to fail a lot less than before... it's getting harder to find a part failure in a laptop less than 3 years old. The chance of an accident (spill, drop, etc.) I think is much higher.

So for me, I'd recommend getting it(one that includes an accidental plan) if you plan to use it in a harsh environment or you know you'll break it like the guy above. Happy

Collapse -
Best buy service plan
by cor6830 / May 24, 2011 10:02 AM PDT

I brought my laptop in to be repaired, my service plan still good I still have 1 year left on it. They sent it out to be repaired after two weeks they called me to say it was done. I went to pick it up, less than 24 hours later, I was back in the store with the laptop with the same problem it was brought in for originally. Again I wait two weeks, they called to say it was done. I picked it up. They said they replaced the motherboard. After a 11/2 week I noticed the brightness was fading in and out on it's own, I called and complained they said bring it in. In the mean time my laptop while I was using it shut off and turned back on within a few seconds and then started running really hot, also video card was bad, and braket and when they repaired the laptop the 2nd time they did not put the bracket in right that was over the fan or the screw over where the usb port is. I brought it back to best buy, spoke with the manager he said they will ask geek squad in an email to junk it and they would overnight the laptop. I called 2 days later and no one at the geek squad desk knew any thing about them asking them to junk because when I asked them if they stated that to the geek squad, they were avoiding answering me. I also asked if the motherboard was a reconditioned one that they put in and they were trying to avoid that to,but when I asked 2 more times this is the answer I received from them. they said when you sign the service contract to have your laptop repaired you are signing for a new one or reconditioned one. I will never do business with best buy again.

Collapse -
The biggest thing about
by orlbuckeye / May 25, 2011 7:37 PM PDT

in store warranties is Best Buy will be around for 2 years. I bought a laptop from Comp USA a few years ago and the salesman tried to sale me the in store warranty (i didnt purchase) and Comp USA as we know closed. They did reopened but with a new owner.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?