Desktops forum

General discussion

Best Buy's 3 Year Warranty

by BigKenjDogg / August 21, 2005 10:41 AM PDT

So I'm looking to buy a computer from Best Buy and the sales rep told me about their 3 year parts and labor warranty for $250.

Question: Would you recommend that I get the warranty if buying a new computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Buy's 3 Year Warranty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Buy's 3 Year Warranty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well, IMO, they're not but
by AKonny47 / August 21, 2005 11:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
I got a Best Buy three year warranty
by coreth5 / September 17, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

They're not too bad. Their call center is rough, the techs assume you're dumber then a bag of hair, but once you convince them to actually fix something they're not bad. My warranty covered at home repair and it was fairly prompt. Overall I'd probably give them a B- or a C+

Collapse -
3 yr warranty
by GMartin2R / September 17, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

so a C+ or B- job is worth the roughly $75 a year? just asking...

i had a 1 year on my last comp which i bought straght from compaq and by the time it ended i had the kinks worked out and it was pretty smooth sailing. (relatively speaking, win ME and all that fun stuff) the main issue i see is that $250 is almost enough to buy an entry level computer, or at least do some upgrade work on the machine. i personally wont but that's just as much a combination of it being unavalable and just not wanting one.

most bugs should surface pretty early on. plus who's to say in 3 years if something does go haywire it wouldnt be only $250 to get a computer of equal specs to the one that the warranty was covering anyway.

Collapse -
save your money
by linkit / September 17, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Save your money. Put it towards an upgrade or a new computer down the road.

Collapse -
Best Buy's 3 Year Warranty
by jcrobso / September 19, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Best Buy's warrenty isn't even good for toilet paper. John

Collapse -
Extended Warranty
by gypsiewagon / December 15, 2010 7:27 AM PST

Best Buy will still you blind. Here's what happened to me. In Sept. 10 I bought a dell laptop. I bought the extended warranty to cover accidental damage. A month later I was being a really good girl and had the laptop in a padded carrying case sitting on my passenger side car seat. I had to slam on my brakes and while the padded carrying case stayed neatly in place, I hadn't zipped it shut so out shot the laptop onto the floor of the car. After turning it on the screen would blip blip blip so I took it to Best Buy to have it fixed under the extended warranty. After another month I got a voice mail saying the manufacturer had no parts to fix the new laptop so they chose to let me replace it with a different one. So I go back to Best Buy to get a replacement computer only to find out that the extended warranty was cancelled, and if I wanted a new extended warranty I would have to pay another $250 for it. I was furious. The clerk said some rude things about my not understanding how things work now days so I told her to not make value statements about my opinions. I am still furious with them. When I pay my auto insurance premium then have to file a claim, I am not charged another premium for that month. So for Best Buy to call it insurance, or a warranty or whatever, is a total lie. All it is met to do is get you to bring your computer in for repairs, and then collect another $250 off the original sale. I'm done with Best Buy. I give them an F on their integrity and an F on the treatment issued out by their Geek Squad.
Julie
Kansas City

Collapse -
They could have handled it far better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Extended Warranty

I think that the fact you got a new laptop after an accident is outstanding. And to get dinged 250 for an accident replacement is far better than what I've seen (hint? total loss).
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.