TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best Buy... look out

by sirroundsound / December 12, 2006 10:35 PM PST

Someone bought an LCD TV from best buy, geek squad came out to install.
Person got told their dvd player wouldn't work with new TV, had to have new model. (lie)
Then customer was told he had to have special cables to hook it all up, to the tune of $2100.00. (cheat and steal)
It then took 2 of them 14 hours to wall mount and connect the TV.
They also told him they had to do some special tweeking of the set so he could see it off angle. (stupidity and more lies)

It's sad, they claim this Christmas season will be the biggest ever for Plasma and LCD sales. The biggest winners will be places like BB and CC, and if this is any indication, all they have been trained to do is rip you off. (I know not all of them will be like this, but I am pretty sure after Xmas we will hear plenty of stories like this) They may have the lowest price tags, but at the end of the day a ton of people are going to pay, pay, pay.

Meanwhile down the road, some small independant shop that would love to have your business, and would actually "help" you because they want you to come back again and again, has to sit back and watch and listen to all the horror stories. Sure they pick up a few fix up jobs left from bad installs, but by that time the customer is already upset because they have to pay twice to get the job done right.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Buy... look out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Buy... look out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well
by masterying01 / December 13, 2006 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Best Buy... look out

for a while, the real isntall guys were all backed up and stores were forced to send geeksquad double agents to do the work (the guys driving the geek mobiles). they are NOT certified to do the job and some stores have neglected to care about that little fact. especially with mounting a tv...geeksquad is NOT covered under the 12month warrenty for craftsmanship...so if the tv falls off the wall that geeksquad mounted..you ARE out of luck.

IF YOU SEE A GEEKSQUAD AGENT COME TO YOUR HOUSE FOR A HOME THEATER INSTALL OF ANYKIND...TELL THEM TO GO HOME AND GET A REAL INSTALLER. the "real" installers wont have geeksquad all over their clothes/car and will drive a BBY van with all his tools in it. geeksquad is useless.

starting dec 9 (last week), bby is scheduling installs on weekday nights (all the way to 9pm as appose to 4pm)...and will be doing installs in sundays too for their own installers.

we have NEVER sent one of our store agents to do an isntall for that reason. they dont know what they're doing and will waste more time trying to do one little thing.

Collapse -
Thanks -
by sirroundsound / December 13, 2006 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: well

I hoped you would chime in on this one. That is why I did add the comment "not all of them" There certainly are some employees for both BB and CC that will look after the customer. If you are a consumer buying in either of these places, make sure you are very confortable with the sales staff you are dealing with. If you think you are being fed a line, or made to feel like you "have" to buy the extras, stop.

Collapse -
I hope that someone called the BBY store and complained!!!
by jcrobso / December 13, 2006 2:38 AM PST

Called his credit card company and protested the charge!
Years ago I had a service person come out for my furnace, he didn't do a good job. I called the company and complained, they said that they would send out a different person but I would have to pay for a new service call. I explained that I would stop payment on the check and call a different service company first. The service manager came out to fix the problem correctly and there was no additional charge. John

Collapse -
A LITTLE SECRET FOR YOU FOLKS
by stewart norrie / December 13, 2006 3:03 AM PST

Years ago I found a custom home theater store that treats me like a king. All the equipment I have bought from them has been priced about the same as the big box stores, but they have spent so much time with me . even coming out to my home and setting my amp up etc. Example one one of my new atlantic technology speakers had a rubbing voice coil and in 2 days I was told to bring my speaker in the folks had the replacement speaker shipped and they replaced it on the spot I always tell folks to check out hi-end home theater stores you may find on that will work with you and the advantage you will have a wounderful well balanced system for a very reasonable price happy holiday stew

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!