Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Best Buy Extended Warranty! I feel so good.

by tedln / December 14, 2008 11:12 AM PST

I'm usually a very laid back, calm, cool, and collected person. At least I usually am. That has changed over the last couple of years thanks to Best Buy and their overpriced, useless, extended service plans on computers.

I guess after you run up against a brick wall and you finally realize that Best Buy doesn't care at all about doing the right thing, you probably should just give it up. I have. No more conversations or dealing with Best Buy. However.........., I am determined to do everything I can legally and morally to minimize their profit.

In order to accomplish my purpose I find myself hanging around parking lots, Walmart stores, and Sams Warehouse clubs, looking for people who may be in the market for a computer. I encourage them to purchase their computer anywhere but Best Buy. If they simply can't resist the temptation to shop at Best Buy, I then tell them my horror story about dealing with Best Buy and their extended warranty. They usually run away with a horrified look on their face.

Last night, part of my life's goal was realized when two people shopping at Walmart for laptops heard my story. They immediately canceled their plans to go look at the Best Buy computers and bought them at Walmart. It warmed my heart to see that peoples bad habits can be changed when faced with hard facts.

Now I have a real and worthy purpose in life. I will fight on.

I feel Good!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Buy Extended Warranty! I feel so good.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Buy Extended Warranty! I feel so good.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by C1ay / December 14, 2008 11:47 AM PST

I bought their 3 year extended warranty on my laptop because it covered the battery and it was cheaper than a new battery. At 2 years and 11 months I took my laptop with its worn out battery in and they gave me a new one. I had also had the video display replaced about a year into the service contract. I very much got my money's worth.

Collapse -
Yep, their are some happy soldiers also.
by tedln / December 14, 2008 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: FWIW

I believe if you do a google search, you will find about 400,000 results on their extended warranty. Their are a few happy campers in those results. I guess they haven't lost your new laptop when they had to send it back to the factory for repairs. I didn't know when they lost your computer, your $320.00 warranty was also lost. That means when they replace your new computer with a lower value computer, you have to buy a new extended warranty plus repurchase all the software they had installed on your "lost" computer. They made a profit by losing my computer. I congratulate you on your good service from Best Buy. Your day will come.

Collapse -
There's a reason there's only a few happy ones
by C1ay / December 14, 2008 8:54 PM PST

Happy one's don't go out of their way to spread the news about their satisfaction the way unhappy ones do about their dissatisfaction. I suspect they sell millions of extended warranties and those that are dissatisfied with them are a relatively small percentage of the whole.

Collapse -
It sounds like overkill
by Angeline Booher / December 14, 2008 10:03 PM PST

.... for you to take the actions you did. That is overboard for one bad experience, particularly as you had other avenues to pursue/

We have had discussions here how to handle poor service and other consumer concerns. One of the top ones was to contact the home office by registered letter, return receipt requested, The Better Business Bureau could probably do more damage to a company's reputation than you could ever do in Wall Mart's parking lot if there is a pattern of complaints. States also have consumer advocacy available.

No doubt, due to the number of members community wide, you will find others who are dissatisfied with Best Buy, OR their competitors.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Wow !!
by critic411 / December 14, 2008 10:08 PM PST

What a terrible way to waste your life.

Collapse -
Nope! I'm enjoying it.
by tedln / December 15, 2008 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Wow !!

I know there are normal channels to resolve grievances, but if you read some of the previous posts by other people; you will know that "normal" channels don't work with Best Buy.

The small story I told actually happened about a year ago. I accepted the "company policy" with little argument or hard feelings. When I took the "replacement" laptop in for some minor repairs, "the rest of the story" occurred. I won't bore you with "the rest of the story", but it simply went beyond what is acceptable.

The simple fact is Best Buy sells good products. The people who work at Best Buy are good people. The Geek Squad folks are nice and knowledgeable, but their company policy sucks. I complimented the last tech for his efforts to make things right. He said "I understand why you are unhappy, but I have to work within company policy".

Life goes on, but I have a purpose in life.

Collapse -
It wouldn't matter how bad Best Buy
by critic411 / December 15, 2008 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Nope! I'm enjoying it.

screwed me, I wouldn't waste any of my time stalking other customers in parking lots.

Collapse -
(NT) Bingo!
by Angeline Booher / December 15, 2008 1:44 AM PST
Collapse -
I don't understand this reply. No words.
by tedln / December 15, 2008 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Bingo!

I don't understand this reply. I think it was from critic.

In simple English, I believe people and companies should always deal honestly with each other. Don't put the loop holes in the small print. I'm one of those people who always over tips in restaurants. I always ask the checkout clerks to recheck my receipt when I believe they have undercharged me for a purchase.

I'm retired, but I spent my working life in industrial sales working on multi-million dollar projects and deals. I was very successful for two reasons. I sold good products and my customers always knew they would be dealt with honestly. They didn't have to worry about any hidden loopholes in their contracts with me. I provide that kind of honesty and I require that kind of honesty from companies I deal with.

Collapse -
I don't think anyone's questioning anything
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2008 3:06 AM PST

but the importance of your seeming obsession with taking down a store because of your own bad experiences with them. But, if that's your mission, so be it. Underlying what might seem to be criticism of your actions is really advice to find a way to shrug it off and get on with life. Policies in such companies are made by a very small minority of persons. Few, if any of these folks, will face the company's customers. Keep in mind that, if you could be successful in shutting down Best Buy, you'd also be causing a lot of pain for a lot of good people...some of whom you've already alluded to. Certainly there's a better solution than just trying to undermine their sales efforts in the manner you've mentioned. Maybe something just needs fixing and maybe, in a small way, you can contribute for the good of the other customers rather than for the demise of the stores.

Collapse -
Not trying to shut Best Buy down.
by tedln / December 15, 2008 4:14 AM PST

I'm not trying to shut Best Buy down. I'm not such an egotist to believe I have the power to force the closure of a "Best Buy". I do believe in voting with your wallet and spreading the word. If no one speaks out, Best Buy's company policy will only get more onerous. Best Buy's company profits based on extended warranties dropped 12% in the last quarter. That means more people have become aware of the predatory nature of their warranties and have elected to not purchase them. My hope is that Best Buy would modify their warranty contracts to make them more consumer friendly and regain lost sales.

Collapse -
Well, your tone has changed quite a bit since
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2008 4:33 AM PST

your initial post. That one left a feeling that you were hunting down potential customers in the parking lot and steering them away from Best Buy. I don't think that will serve the purpose you stated in this last one...that you hope Best Buy would modify their contracts, etc. etc. I'd think, unfortunately, what speaks louder to such a company is more and more customers having experiences like yours who go directly to proper management and express their dissatisfaction in a believable manner. This would mean that you'd need to stay out of the parking lot and let (business) nature take its own course. Personally, I never buy extended warranties in these stores. I'd just as soon see that part of the sales effort disappear but leave an otherwise good store in place.

Collapse -
I'm not a stalker!
by tedln / December 15, 2008 5:02 AM PST

but if you want to talk with people, you first have to get their attention.

Everything I said is true in that I take every opportunity to tell people about the Best Buy extended warranty. I don't care if it is in a parking lot, a walmart, or a Sams Club.

The sad thing is that this conversation would not have occurred if Best Buy had been willing to replace the backspace key on my replacement laptop keyboard without insisting on formatting my hard drive as well. My backspace key needs repairs. My hard drive does not need to be formatted, but it is "company policy".

It doesn't matter because I have already bought another laptop at Walmart for a lot less money. I could have bought an extended warranty at Walmart for $99.00 equal to Best Buy's $320.00 extended warranty. I will just replace my laptop from now on rather than deal with an extended warranty.

Collapse -
You're not a stalker???
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2008 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not a stalker!

Well, these extracts from your first post seem to say otherwise. This would fit the definition well

"In order to accomplish my purpose I find myself hanging around parking lots, Walmart stores, and Sams Warehouse clubs, looking for people who may be in the market for a computer.

Now I have a real and worthy purpose in life. I will fight on."

Enjoy your laptop from Walmart and may it never break. Happy

Collapse -
Thanks !
by tedln / December 15, 2008 5:24 AM PST
Collapse -
according to threads in other forums
by jonah jones / December 15, 2008 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not a stalker!

you were advised to backup your 'old' computer before sending it away
if you had done this, half your problems wouldn't have been "problems

Best Buys policy is (in certain cases) to return the laptop to the manufacturer, you were made aware of this fact?

the manufacturer will format your old laptop to return it to its basic "factory fresh" mode, you were made aware of this?

all in all, IMO, Best Buy stood by their agreement

stuff happens.....

Collapse -
Yep, thats "company policy"
by tedln / December 15, 2008 12:30 PM PST

but all I need is a backspace key. I don't want my computer returned to factory fresh mode. It's my computer. It no longer belongs to Best Buy. I will keep my computer and they can keep their "company policy".

Collapse -
Keyboard key replacement
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2008 7:45 PM PST

After we'd bought a laptop from MicroCenter for my daughter, we'd determined that one key was prone to falling off. It was easy to snap back in place but would come loose again. It was under the regular warranty but MicroCenter didn't want to fix it for free saying that they considered such as broken keys to be customer abuse. I was fairly well "fit to be tied". I was told we could ship the laptop to a repair center and pay to have it repaired. It was going to be about 100 bucks for the labor and 25 bucks for the key (minimum charge). After some considerable protest, emails, and request to escalate to a higher level, they agreed to send me the key for free. I replaced it myself. It's not that difficult.

Collapse -
RE: Steven.... they agreed to send me the key
by JP Bill / December 15, 2008 8:11 PM PST

I hope you sent them a bill for $25 for your labor to replace your key Devil

Collapse -
Then don't give it to Best Buy to fix
by Josh K / December 16, 2008 12:55 AM PST

Because they (and the manufacturer) make very clear that their repair may involve wiping everything off your hard drive and reformatting it. It's not their fault if you didn't read it, didn't listen or didn't back your stuff up.

Collapse -
Has this person ever considered...
by Paul C / December 15, 2008 7:17 PM PST

...that just walking up to someone in a parking lot might be construed by that person as a threat, and could lead to a very unpleasant outcome?

Collapse -
I did succeed with Best Buy, but it wasn't easy.
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2008 1:08 AM PST

My portable started shutting down when the CPU was stressed (i.e. video games). I took it in for repairs several times without success. Finally, I shot a video of the problem and showed them the video. To top it off, my daughter recreated the problem on-site.

They offered full credit on a new computer, but the extended warrantee would not be extended. I insisted that they fix the old machine. Finally, they agreed to transfer the warrantee to the new machine, and I accepted the deal.

I don't know why software should be a problem. You can easily install that on a new machine. That assumes, of course, that you have fully backed up your machine before it goes in for service.

Collapse -
Extended Warrantee.
by caktus / December 15, 2008 6:20 AM PST

Personally, I would have politely, yet somewhat audibly expressed my problem and dissatisfaction right there in the store . Perhaps you, yourself did just this. Sometimes it is helpful, sometimes not.

If not helpful, rather than go to all the trouble (and expense I'm sure) I would have reported my dissatisfaction to the Better Business Bureau, which can often settle problems to the consumer's satisfaction. And contrary to popular belief, often rather quickly.

I have personally learned that the most reliable extended warranty's are purchased directly from the manufacturer rather than from retailers. Although retailers may try like all he|| to convince me that I should buy it from them, that just ain't gonna happen.

Collapse -
I did all that!
by tedln / December 15, 2008 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Extended Warrantee.

I'm not a loud and belligerent person, but I do let my displeasure be known. Best Buy's only response was "it's company policy". I left with a smile on my face.

I don't really have much use for the BBB. I consider them more of a company club rather then a business dispute resolution group. The fact is Best Buy was exercising their contractual obligation by declaring "company policy". While their company policy is wrong and predatory, the BBB wouldn't and shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. If I felt they were operating outside their contractual obligation to me, they would have a huge lawsuit on their hands. With that said, I do believe their company policy is wrong and predatory; and should be avoided by declining to purchase their extended warranty.

Collapse -
In plain English,
by tedln / December 15, 2008 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: I did all that!

Best Buy is a pile of crap. Happy

Collapse -
Fine, friend. Just be aware...
by Paul C / December 15, 2008 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: In plain English,

...that your actions in accosting folks in the parking lot are probably going to put you in handcuffs, as Best Buy has a right and duty to see to their customers' safety. They would be well within their rights in having you arrested as a nuisance.

In addition, there are many people who think as I do; namely that your accosting me in that parking lot could be seen as a threat, giving me the right to respond accordingly.

Were I you, I'd reconsider my actions before something really ugly happens.

Collapse -
Hey, I'm a nice friendly guy.:)
by tedln / December 16, 2008 12:25 AM PST

I don't accost people. I simply visit with people. I'm about as threatning as a Teddy Bear. Most of the concept of me as a stalker, lurker, revenge seeker; is from my first "tongue in cheek" comment.

The only thing I want to say is about Best Buy's lousy warranty / company policy. I simply refuse to be a Best Buy lemming waiting for them to invoke the "company policy" mantra and jump off the cliff with the other lemmings.

Folks need to understand that everytime someone tells you something is right because it's company policy, you don't have to invoke your rights as a leeming and jump off their corporate cliff.

Collapse -
uh huh
by jonah jones / December 16, 2008 1:24 AM PST

let's "suppose" for a moment that an article owned by you a laptop is taken in for repair at a "reputable" store Best Buy

one of the local "geeks" takes it apart what you wanted in the first place and in the process breaks it

i wager you would be the first to scream "why didn't you send it to the manufacturer" which is the policy of the "reputable" store

and BTW, if you "simply visited" me in a parking lot,
you might go home with the Xmas nuts in a different bag

Collapse -
National recruiter for the local lemming club.
by tedln / December 16, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: uh huh

Okay Jonah,

I herby offer my sincere apologies to the local Best Buy. I hereby declare the Best Buy warranty as the best thing since sliced bread. I offer up my laptop (missing a backspace key) as the ultimate sacrifice to their corporate majesty. I renounce any ownership claims of said laptop and plead with them to do with it as they please. Would you point the way to the closest cliff. I have a sudden urge to jump from a high place.

Never been concerned about my CHRISTmas nuts though.

Collapse -
If a stranger approaches me in a parking lot...
by Josh K / December 16, 2008 1:37 AM PST

...my first assumption is not that he is a "nice, friendly guy." People take safety classes to learn how to defend themselves against "nice, friendly guys" who accost them in parking garages, etc.

You had a bad experience with Best Buy, which apparently was at least partially your own fault. Get over it and move on.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?