Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Best browser for font size and spell check

I have Windows XP Home with SP2. I use Firefox 2.0 but sometimes IE6.

The thing I like about Firefox is my ability to enlarge the size of the font by holding down Ctrl and using the wheel on my mouse. When using IE6, I can enlarge the font size in some websites and not in others, and I assume that this results from the mechanics of the website rather than from IE6. Also, there are times when using IE6 that the font size is too large and I can't reduce the size. The other thing I like is that when I misspell a word it gets underlined and I can highlight it, right click, get the correct spelling and make the replacement with a mouse click.

What I am wonder is whether I would get those features with IE7?

A main reason I use IE6 is that, using Hotmail, when I updated to Firefox 2.0 I lost my ability to use the Rich format features that I can use in IE6 and that I formerly could use in Firefox 1.5 after installing an Addon that doesn't work in Firefox 2.0. I couldn't find an Addon that would give me that ability in Firefox but I am wondering if I am overlooking one?

So, my questions are:

If I install IE7, will I be able to always enlarge the font size as I can now do with Firefox?

If I install IE7, will it provide me with the same kind of, or maybe one equal to, the spell check I get with Firefox 2.0?

If there an Addon for Firefox 2.0 that will enable me to use Rich Text features when using Hotmail?

Thanks, Jerome

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best browser for font size and spell check
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best browser for font size and spell check
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remember this about spell check.

In reply to: Best browser for font size and spell check

Microsoft's position on spell check is that it's part of their Office offering. So don't expect a Microsoft update to provide spell check unless you purchase Office.

As to IE 7, if you read the posts in the forums you can get the idea that it's a hit and miss update. Sometimes it works for most but for some it's a struggle to remove it and get back to what worked.

Same story for WMP 11.

At this date I don't advise updating to IE 7 or WMP 11.

Bob

Collapse -
Spell check

The latest Google tool bar has a convenient spell check option. It is easy for the user to use and update it's dictionary. But sadly is does not check grammar, so it doesn't always recognize incorrect spelling. It would be a really great tool if it did. Seems Google dropped a really big ball here.

Collapse -
Thank you Bob and caktus

Good information which saves me a lot of looking and wondering. Jerome

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.