Phones forum

General discussion

Best bluetooth headset

by drjordan / January 20, 2006 10:48 AM PST

Is there a general consensus (I know, there's generally NEVER a general consensus with electronics) on the bluetooth headset with the best sound quality? I'd like one that's reasonably comforable, but I don't necessarily need it to be really small. I'm not concerned with how it looks...the person on the other end of the line isn't really going to be affected by what it looks like.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best bluetooth headset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best bluetooth headset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a little more info, please
by tychocat / January 20, 2006 4:41 PM PST
In reply to: Best bluetooth headset

You're asking for the "best" bluetooth headset, but all you can say as to your specifications is that you don't care what it looks like? C'mon, work with us a little. What would be a good BT headset to you? Do you need something with noise-cancellation, long battery life, or what?

Collapse -
Ok
by drjordan / January 23, 2006 2:51 AM PST

In the first sentence I specified that I'm looking for the headset with the ''best sound quality''. By that I mean that I would like for it to have noise cancellation but also not be so quiet that the person on the other end has a hard time hearing me. I have a Shure QuietSpot wired headset that's awesome. I don't really think that anything bluetooth is going to match that yet, but close would be fine. I want to be able to walk around a mall or Wal-Mart and use it without the other end compaining that all they hear is background noise and an echo. I don't want the person on the other end to be able to tell that I'm using a bluetooth headset.
I'll probably use it for an hour or 2 a day. I can charge it everyday if necessary, so battery life not all that important. As long as it gets me through a 2-hour conversation, that would be sufficient. Sound quality is the main component.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Moto HS 850 vs Jabra BT130
by r k moreland / January 25, 2006 7:36 AM PST

I can only speak of these two units. I have both and use a Razr V3 Motorola. I have 3 HS850's and two BT103's. I purchased the HS850's because 1)Motorola has a "y" cable that allows you to charge phone and headset at the same time, 2) Looks, 3) felt staying with one brand had an "upside" and 4) found little no bad reviews on the HS 850. My experience has been the the Jabra units are much more dependable. The 850's don't seem to "understand" the first voice dial name on virtually every call made. Often, the second time is missed also requireing you to press the button again. THe sound both spoken and heard are about the same. The 850 I think looks much better but unless I'm going for style, I'll pick up the Jabra. Hope you find something of value here. Good Luck

Collapse -
Sony HBH-660
by tychocat / January 25, 2006 7:23 PM PST

I've got an SE S710a, and the headset works flawlessly with the phone. No complaints from anyone I've called about sound quality, even though it's not a noise-cancelling headset. Voice commands work fine through it. No complaints.

Collapse -
Sometimes the cheapest is the best buy
by aarnoldt / January 27, 2006 11:19 PM PST

I have bought both. A motorola 850 for $90 and a motorola 810 for $25. Both sound good, The cheap one runs on a single AAA battery and I have used it a month so far with about 20 hours of talking and 100 hours standby time, battery still strong. It weighs a little bit more than the 850 but still very comfortable. I lost the exspensive one so I decided to get one that is a throw away.

Collapse -
HS850
by Fireboss / January 27, 2006 11:27 PM PST

I am limited on the headsets I can try however as I wear heaing aids and in ear models are completely useless to me. So I stick with those that hover outside the ear. I've used the Motorola HS850 for a long time now and am relatively happy with it. It's true that the first time recognition on voice dials is not perfect. I have found that waiting a full one second count before speaking makes that racognition rate much higher. On the other hand I love it in my car. People never hear the road noise nor has anyone complained about backround noise elsewhere. I also like the fact that I can charge it and the phone from one cord.
I got mine off of E-Bay and the seller provided a 2 year replacement warrnty for $6. That was a big plus for me as I have dropped mine in water, broken the ear piece and the microphone trying to open it in a hurry. Yea I am clumsy too.
I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Moto HS810
by sethg / January 28, 2006 2:22 AM PST

I tried the HS810 with my Moto phone and sent it back after a week. The earpiece fit so loosely in my ear that sound from the speaker got back to the microphone, which the echo cancellation could not remove. The result was poor intelligibility for the listener and the volume changing for me as it wandered all around my ear. Yes, I tried to adjust the ear hook as far as it would go without breaking it. This was just not designed with the human ear in mind.

Sadly, I've gone back to my wired, over the head Plantronics headset with long mic boom. The sound is perfect, but I hate the wires. Still waiting for a BT headset with good sound quality.

Collapse -
pardon, this was a HS850, not HS810
by sethg / January 28, 2006 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Moto HS810

subject says it all

Collapse -
Plantronics Voyager 510
by sfollmer / January 28, 2006 5:41 PM PST

I use the Voyager 510 with my RAZR and it works like a champ. It has noise canceling plus it's real comfortable to wear for an extended amount of time. Everyone I talk to says the connection is great and can easily hear me even when the road noise gets loud (except for wind because I don't use the foam cover that came with it). It has plenty of volume so you can hear the person you are talking to over pretty much any background noise. In fact it's better talking on the headset than on the actual phone.

I never have any problems with it pairing. Either it pairs up to my phone automatically when I turn it on, or press the main button for a couple seconds if it's already on (and is not already paired with my phone). It usually gets my voice dialing correct on the first try and always on the second for those rare occasions it misses the first time.

The plus side for this headset is that it seamlessly switches between two bluetooth devices and I often use it with my computer either for skype or gizmo project as well as any recording I may need to do.

The negative side is that it may increase your talk time on your cell phone usage minutes because it's so nice to use you forget you are talking on a cell phone. So be careful of that Wink

I went to a kiosk in a mall and tried several different headsets (including the Motorola ones already mentioned) and found that this was the best choice for what I needed, which is also what you have said you need. Ok, it's not the most stylish headset, but I think it's the best functional one out there.

Speaking of "stylish", has anyone tried the new Motorola "b_u_t_t_p_l_u_g" one yet? Just curious.

Collapse -
The 510 is supposed to be good
by jjellyneck / February 12, 2006 10:58 PM PST

I've been looking for headsets for awhile, and some kind of noise cancellation is important. I've heard from lots of people that the 510 is one of the best at it--without clipping off our voice under severe background noise like lots of the advanced headsets do.
I was not thrilled with the fit of the 510, though. I just ordered a Tekkeon 2000 because I've heard lots of great things about it, and I believe that the fit will be very good (it's easy to slightly customize on that headset). It is not the best for background silencing, so I'll see how it works. I really want to try it out, so I can send it back if it doesn't fit the bill.

Collapse -
Bluetooth
by forkboy1965 / January 29, 2006 3:43 AM PST

I've only ever used my Motorola HS850, but I have been very pleased with it overall. The range has been solid when around the house. Battery life has been as promised thus far. The reception and clarity at my end has been very good. Those hearing me speak through it have never noticed any difference at their end (or at least nothing worth mentioning to me). However, I haven't ever used another brand/model so I can't offer you any comparisons. However, my wife uses a popular Jabra unit and has been very pleased with it as well. I, however, didn't like putting the earpiece in my ear; I prefer a unit that rests against my ear. My only complaint: it's a bit small for my size ear, but I'm 6'4" so the problem is really more of my size than that of the Motorola.

Collapse -
Plantronics Discovery 640
by jjjonesy / February 13, 2006 1:30 PM PST

This is a great headset. No one I've talked to knew I was using a headset unless I get far away from my Razr. Sound quality was much better than the phone when outside in the wind. Pairing is easy, and fit is great since it comes with 3 different size eargels. The only downside is that people around me sometimes don't realize I'm on the phone since the headset is so small.

Collapse -
Noise reduction of the 640
by jjellyneck / February 13, 2006 11:18 PM PST

How good is the noise reduction while driving in the car on the highway, for example?

Collapse -
Plantronics 640 Battery Life
by docslm / February 14, 2006 12:09 PM PST

I too have the Plantronics 640 and Motorola Razr. The performance and fit of the headset is perfect in every way except one very important one. The battery life is horrible. I performed a test today. I left it in standby for only 15 hours, then made a call. The talk time was only 4 minutes before it failed. Horrible!!!! Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse -
Battery life
by jjjonesy / February 15, 2006 10:03 AM PST

Well, I plug mine up every night when I get home, so I havent had a problem.

Collapse -
Bluetooth Battery Life
by docslm / February 14, 2006 12:23 PM PST

In general battery life seems to be a problem with bluetooth headsets. Between myself and my friends we have tried close to 10 different models by various manufacturers. Many of them considered high end. Without exception all had only a fraction of the manufacturers' stated talk/standby time. Why is it that the reviewers, CNET and others never seem to measure actual talk/standby time against the manufacturers claimed statistics? This should be standard practice in reviewing these devices.

Collapse -
THE "REVIEWERS" DONT CARE ABOUT YOU JUST THE SUPPLIERS
by tech lies / February 14, 2006 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: Bluetooth Battery Life

IF I HAD A DOLLAR FOR EVERY LIE ABOUT BATTERY LIFE I COULD RETIRE. BATTERY LIFE IN ALL INSTANCES IS A LIE.
IT LIKE MILES PER GALLON. IF YOU WANT THE TRUTH YOU MUUUSSSST TEST FOR YOUR SELF BECAUSE THE REVIEWERS JUST WILL NEVER CARE ABOUT WE THE REAL WORLD USERS.
WE DONT PROVIDE THE UNITS FOR TESTING FOR FREE. SO WHO WOULD THEY REPRESENT ALLWAYS...
SICK OF THE LIES

MICHAEL WOODY
SAN DIEGO

Collapse -
Stop yelling
by jbroshear / March 6, 2006 9:59 PM PST

Point made, but please. My ears are hurting.

Collapse -
YES MY EARS AND POCKET BOOK ARE HURTING TOO.
by tech lies / March 12, 2006 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Stop yelling

I GUESS YOUR RELPLY PROVES THAT THE TRUTH CAN HURT SOMETIME. MY EARS ARE ALSO HEARTING. BUT MY POINT IS THAT NO ONE WILL TURN DOWN THE LIES. THEY ONLY GET LOWDER. SO COMPLAIN JUST A LITTLE THE NEXT TIME YOU HEAR THOSE LIES. STOP BUYING EVERY HYPE AND PROMISE.
MAKE THESE PROMISES BE REAL OR TAKE THEM BACK.

GOOD LUCK,

MICHAEL

Collapse -
sorry to yell but when we are being robbed our whole lives..
by tech lies / March 12, 2006 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Stop yelling

Yes I was yelling because all the lambs in this world by definition think its just fine that they keep buying and tossing their tech toys out the window.

technology doesnt march near as fast as plain old greed and lies. thats all i was saying. my noble interests are with us lied to consumers. i have always been in the high? tech world and see much more lies than truth. if you are a casual consumer then dont bother yourself, but if you have purchased more than 1000 dollars of tech this last year you should be very afraid. money still does not grow on trees no matter what the kids of today say.
i care about us the willing, honest conusmers not the lying providers...
most sincerely- michael

Collapse -
Get the one to match your phone!
by cnet_god / February 19, 2006 12:32 AM PST

Get the one that uses the same charger as your phone. No features or slight quality differences are worth having to buy and manage multiple chargers.

Collapse -
Not True
by jjjonesy / February 19, 2006 8:19 AM PST

The Plantronics Discovery 640 has adapters for almost every phone charger. It simply snaps onto the charging clip.

Collapse -
touche'
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: Not True

I didn't know that about the plantronics. Good advice. Either way, my point is to consider the mess of chargers you're going to have to juggle.

Collapse -
Plantronics discover 640
by fishmongerconsultant / February 28, 2006 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: touche'
Collapse -
Just bought the 640 Plantronics
by jjellyneck / March 2, 2006 12:15 PM PST

I've tried a few of the Bluetooth headsets, and this is easily the best one. It has noticeably the best incoming and outgoing audio quality, it's very light, has an excellent fit, and it's intuitive to use. It has very little noise cancellation, but it sounds better than the normal headset of most cell phones. Highly recommended.

Collapse -
some reviews
by Valikhanov / March 7, 2006 11:18 AM PST

some decent reviews at mobileburn.com

Collapse -
I bought one
by drjordan / March 16, 2006 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: some reviews

Thanks for all of the feedback. I ended up buying the Plantronics Voyager 510 and I'm very happy with it. The only issue that I have is that I can't find a car charger for it. I don't mind having a couple of chargers in my car. That's what the glove compartment is for. And I have a y-adaptor should my phone and bluetooth headset need to be charged at the same time.

Otherwise, I really like it. The noise cancellation tech is very good. I bought the Gennum NxZen 5500 Plus and took it back. It was a little too loose fitting and I was having a problem with some of the features not working correctly. For example, I would press the button for voice dialing, the bluetooth would get that kind of hissing noise like it does when it's activated, but the phone wouldn't recognize that it was doing anything. I took it back for the Plantronics and have been very happy. It fits securely, has almost no background noise, and all of the features (including voice dialing) work like a charm.

Thanks again,
Jordan

Collapse -
Thanks for the follow up...
by sfollmer / March 16, 2006 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: I bought one

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for coming back and following up with what you ended up with.

Ahh... another satisfied Voyager 510 user.

I never heard of the Gennum NxZen whatever (or of anything from Gennum) but I took a quick look via google and I gotta wonder what possessed you to get that one? It's expensive and it got so-so reviews from various places. But at least you were able to return it and get one that was actually recommended in this thread.

Collapse -
Motorola H-700
by dlflyboy / April 11, 2006 12:31 PM PDT

I like the Motorola H-700. It's small, lightweight, great sound and battery life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?