Question

Best Android app to sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calndr

Now that Google is discontinuing their Google Calendar Sync, what is the best Android app to use? I live and die by Outlook (calendar, contacts, etc.) and need my phone to sync with my computer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Best Android app to sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calndr
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best Android app to sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calndr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Where did you read that?

"Google Sync was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® protocol. With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols. Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement."

- Collapse -
Google Calendar Sync will no longer function after August 1

I was notified by Google (and you can read it several places on their web site -- like https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/6054804?hl=en . Yes, you can sync through Exchange... except I am not on Exchange. Yes, Google will still have a sync software, but you will have to pay monthly/annually for it. I am looking for an Android app (preferably less than $20) that will sync Outlook calendar and possibly contacts as well. I am not looking for a stand alone separate calendar that syncs with Outlook (although I may end up with that); I would prefer to use the native Android (Google) calendar. However, I am open to any and all suggestions (other than ditching Outlook). Thanks!

- Collapse -
I read it again

And if you are up and running it will keep working to give you time to find apps. I suggest you stay inside the Google Play store unless you know the author.
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. Sorry forgot to add this.

Since it will work for a time, your search begins. This also means that new apps may show up to fill the void.
Bob

- Collapse -
Recommend AkrutoSync to sync Outlook calendar, contacts, etc

I recommend AkrutoSync (http://www.akruto.com). It is very accurate and reliable, which is great for Outlook power users, because it syncs all the details of your contacts, appointments, tasks and notes. You can sync Outlook with all your devices.

A great feature for me is that it does not use a separate calendar or separate contacts app on your device; it works with your phone's built-in apps, which means that contacts appear in the dialer, calendar events generate notifications and all other standard Android functionality just works. And it is not cloud-based. You install it on your own computer and do not need to worry about anyone changing or discontinuing the service, like Google just discontinued their calendar sync.

- Collapse -
Answer
I've looked into this

I've looked into this and the long and short of it is that if you want bi-directional support the best solution I can find involves using Microsoft's online calendar that you can access if you have a Live email account. With a little work you can get the Microsoft calendar and the Google calendar to sync against each other. Outlook can read/write to the Live calendar, Android can read/write to a Google calendar, so you have a convoluted, but effective, solution.

If you only care about being able to read your Android calendar, you can just import the ICS version of the calendar from Google into Outlook. You have to specifically go to the Calendar section, nothing will show up on Outlook's calendar so the sidebar will be useless, but that's free and doesn't require any additional software.

Unfortunately this is just one of those situations where you either have to break down and pay a few bucks, stop using Outlook, or just live without. Thunderbird can do bi-directional syncing with Google Calendar with an extension. Problem is Mozilla is no longer developing new features for Thunderbird, just keeping it on life support so it continues running. With extensions you can still add new features and as far as email clients go, it probably had reached the pinnacle of development before scope creep set in, but it's still something of a pity there seems to be so little in the way of desktop email client development these days for those of us who aren't as enamored with webmail interfaces as we apparently should be.

- Collapse -
There are programs out there...

There are programs out there, but I'm not sure which ones are good (or not). People seem to like gsyncit. then there's CompanionLink, Sync2, Syncmycal, etc. There are at least a dozen programs/apps out there and they are anywhere from free to $80. I was just wondering if anyone had used any of them and if they could give pros and cons. It seemed like that would be easier than the Outlook live route.

- Collapse -
Third party apps
- Collapse -
Anyone else?

Thank you so much for that info! Anyone else know anything about these programs? gSyncit seems to be very popular. I tried the free version and it caused nothing but problems; HOWEVER, their support said it was because I still have Google Calendar Sync and apparently they work against each other a little... I will now investigate those other two. Thanks again!

- Collapse -
I agree.

Try it the way they intended. A clean install.
Bob

- Collapse -
Edit option?

Is there a way to edit a post? The iframe stuff shouldn't be there ... don't want to confuse folks!

- Collapse -
The Edit option shows when you Preview your post.

This gives you a chance to see what you are posting when you are getting fancy with HTML or BBS coding.

After you post you have to use the yellow triangle with the ! mark to alert you want your post removed. Moderators can only delete a post. I know of only 2 superusers that can edit.
Bob

- Collapse -
Tried different apps

I'm very late to this party, but I was in the same boat and tried a few apps to sync Outlook calendar with Android. It all started with Samsung Kies and that was a disaster. I spent too much time fixing the damage it did. I also tried one or two not mentioned here before I settled on Akruto. It's been working as advertised.

Then I got an email from them a couple of months ago saying they now cover iPhone and iPad. I have an iPad that I had been wanting to sync with Outlook. Now it does. HTH.

- Collapse -
Answer
Syncing Outlook TASKS

Forget Kies Happy

I rely on Outlook TASKS.
CompanionLink as well as Android-Syc are good, reliable and easy-to-use applications for this purpose - based on lengthy research for personal use. Neither comes cheap. Good luck

- Collapse -
Answer
My app...

I like using AkrutoSync to sync Outlook with my Android. 411

- Collapse -
Answer
Best Android app to sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calndr

The best app to do this is " Myphonexplorer" by FJ. Its free and very simple and easy to use. I have tried dozen of apps and either they are difficult or chargeable.

You can sync your phone with outlook and take back up of your phone... Its very easy and effective and most important is it is free.....

This one is very easy and is Free.

If you like the app do not forget to donate....

- Collapse -
Answer
Best Android app to use, need my phone to sync with PC

CNET Forums