Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Best analysis I've seen of the current Middle East situation

by Ziks511 / September 11, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

This is from an invesment newsletter quoting Stratfor.com (as in Strategic Force, not the guy from "upon Avon"). Sorry but it requires a paid subscription.

"My good friend George Friedman, the President of Stratfor.com, has posted a very insightful essay on the dilemma facing the U.S. on the situation in Iraq. Contrary to many of the conflicting assessments by politically motivated pundits, each with their own agendas, that are put forth as "analysis," Stratfor provides reality based in-depth and logical analysis. Again, if you are in the business of managing money (someone else's or your own) where an eye to what is happening in the world is critical, or you are a student of geo-politics, or both, I strongly suggest that you stay up-to-date on the geopolitical landscape as it can have broad implications for both investment and political decision making.

"As I have said in the past, Stratfor is my main and favorite source for geo-political news and analysis. They have often been referred to in the mainstream press as a 'private CIA,' but I would say in Stratfor's defense that they seem to be more right than their government counterpart."

http://www.investorsinsight.com/otb_va_print.aspx?EditionID=383

"When we look back through Iranian eyes, we can now see what they saw: a golden opportunity to deal the United States a blow, redefine the geopolitics of the Persian Gulf and reposition the Shia in the Muslim world. Iran had, for example, been revivifying Hezbollah in Lebanon for several months. We had seen this as a routine response to the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon. It is now apparent, however, that it was part of a two-pronged offensive.

"First, in Iraq, the Iranians encouraged a variety of factions to both resist the newly formed government and to strike out against the Sunnis. This created an uncontainable cycle of violence that rendered the Iraqi government impotent and the Americans irrelevant. The tempo of operations was now in the hands of those Shiite groups among which the Iranians had extensive influence -- and this included some of the leading Shiite parties, such as SCIRI.

"Second, in Lebanon, Iran encouraged Hezbollah to launch an offensive. There is debate over whether the Israelis or Hezbollah ignited the conflict in Lebanon. Part of this is ideological gibberish, but part of it concerns intention. It is clear that Hezbollah was fully deployed for combat. Its positions were manned in the south, and its rockets were ready. The capture of two Israeli soldiers was intended to trigger Israeli airstrikes, which were as predictable as sunrise, and Hezbollah was ready to fire on Haifa. Once Haifa was hit, Israel floundered in trying to deploy troops (the Golani and Givati brigades were in the south, near Gaza). This would not have been the case if the Israelis had planned for war with Hezbollah. Now, this discussion has nothing to do with who to blame for what. It has everything to do with the fact that Hezbollah was ready to fight, triggered the fight, and came out ahead because it wasn't defeated.

"The end result is that, suddenly, the Iranians held the whip hand in Iraq, had dealt Israel a psychological blow, had repositioned themselves in the Muslim world and had generally redefined the dynamics of the region. Moreover, they had moved to the threshold of redefining the geopolitics to the Persian Gulf.

"This was by far their most important achievement."

I've been saying since the time of the invasion that the Iranians were more dangerous than Saddam Hussein's Iraq, and here finally is someone else saying the same thing, and backing it up both with intel, but also with an extremely persuasive analysis of what's been going on. It explains the activity of Muqtadr bani Sadr in Iraq as well as Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best analysis I've seen of the current Middle East situation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best analysis I've seen of the current Middle East situation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For anyone wary of a left-wing slant to this:
by Ziks511 / September 11, 2006 7:44 AM PDT

InvestorsInsight Publishing, Inc. -- 14900 Landmark Blvd #350, Dallas, Texas 75254

Rob

Collapse -
I have a feeling Russia is behind the scenes
by Dragon / September 11, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

After all, it has supplied Iran. Not only that, but it has also supplied war planes to South American bad people (forgot the country).

But then it may just be that Russia is hurting for money.

Collapse -
With greatest respect Dragon, this all seems too Jihadist
by Ziks511 / September 11, 2006 5:58 PM PDT

and Islamic to be Russia mixing in. Besides, Russia is so close to bankrupt that I don't think they can afford to give much away. Iran on the other hand is afloat in oil money and seems to be spoiling for a fight, and is one of two players behind Hezbollah (the other is Syria). Ask Jonah Jones.

Was down in Cuba about 2 years after moving up here, during the Reagan administration. The Cubans were expecting an invasion any minute. Guns emplaced and hidden by vegetation, trenches dug sixty or a hundred meters back from the beach. And the kindly Mig 21 wake up flight about a quarter mile off shore, and about 200 feet up; now that'll get you on your feet quicker than a hot cup of coffee, let me tell you.

Rob

Collapse -
Russia not giving ... selling
by Evie / September 11, 2006 7:45 PM PDT

Arms & technology for oil.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Source name and location mean nothing
by Evie / September 11, 2006 8:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?