Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Best all around protection from free software?

by Sekhmehet / November 2, 2010 4:56 AM PDT

Hello,
Working in a local computer store for five years where we developed a system of cleaning up viruses for clients.
We use Avast, Avira, AVG, Malwarebytes, Kaspersy, and Nod32.
I found that Avast finds the most viruses out of the three free AVs, and coupled with malwarebytes pretty much covers my computer.
Now, First questions is: Did any of you find other AVs that are free and have higher detection rate?
What software do you have on your computer?
And aside from these programs what would you put on your computer to protect from misc malware? (spyware, rootkits etc.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best all around protection from free software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best all around protection from free software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good start but you didn't mention the best protection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 5:00 AM PDT

I found that "us" is the best protection. No software today has come close.
Bob

Collapse -
Us
by Sekhmehet / November 2, 2010 5:21 AM PDT

"us"? you mean as in the user being cautious?

Collapse -
Or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2010 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Us

Over the last few years, all the infections I've been asked to help with were all self inflicted.

And many were done in spite of warnings from the antivirus or other protection software alerting to the issue.

It appears that we either have to be diligent or consider the alternative.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by Sekhmehet / November 3, 2010 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Or

I agree with this statement, I have noticed the same.
With some it's only a matter of time no matter how good you explain.

Collapse -
Yep, the end user(s) are usually the problem but ....
by Edward ODaniel / November 3, 2010 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Us

since the repair shop personnel have to clean up after them I recognize where you are coming from.

First, in addition to Avast (if that is your preference) use a second virus scanner (either an online scan from Panda or TrendMicro or some other site or Avira, AVG, or any you prefer ) This second scan by a second scanner will usually pick up anything the first scanner might have missed because none of the scannersw can catch everything.

Second, in addition to MalwareBytes try Super- Anti Spyware and Hitman Pro and even Dr Web CureIt. Again multiple scanners find different things that others miss. A good one for most users is Spyware Terminator which you could set up for them as it will auto-update and can be set for auto-scans without user intervention - get it from the Spyware Terminator web site as there is malware parading under the same name - http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Third, you might consider something specifically for Rootkits such as Sophos Anti-Rootkit , F-Secure Blacklight, Rootkit Revealer, Unhackme, or any other that works on the OS you might be working with.

Fourth and definitely not least EDUCATE the user and leave these free utilities installed for them to use.

Collapse -
The problem with that
by Sekhmehet / November 3, 2010 4:16 PM PDT

Is that more often than not, the user is already too confused with the simple Antivirus.
Now, I was actually asking for myself. Putting all those software that one *should* have on their computer plus probably a firewall it's just too much for people to handle and if they were savvy enough to use all those programs they probably wouldn't be in that situation in the first place.
I do appreciate the comment it was most educating I will look into those programs.
I have had a really good experience with UnHackMe it got me out of a really tricky situation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!