General discussion

Best all around protection from free software?

Hello,
Working in a local computer store for five years where we developed a system of cleaning up viruses for clients.
We use Avast, Avira, AVG, Malwarebytes, Kaspersy, and Nod32.
I found that Avast finds the most viruses out of the three free AVs, and coupled with malwarebytes pretty much covers my computer.
Now, First questions is: Did any of you find other AVs that are free and have higher detection rate?
What software do you have on your computer?
And aside from these programs what would you put on your computer to protect from misc malware? (spyware, rootkits etc.)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Best all around protection from free software?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best all around protection from free software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Good start but you didn't mention the best protection.

I found that "us" is the best protection. No software today has come close.
Bob

- Collapse -
Us

"us"? you mean as in the user being cautious?

- Collapse -
Or

Over the last few years, all the infections I've been asked to help with were all self inflicted.

And many were done in spite of warnings from the antivirus or other protection software alerting to the issue.

It appears that we either have to be diligent or consider the alternative.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes

I agree with this statement, I have noticed the same.
With some it's only a matter of time no matter how good you explain.

- Collapse -
Yep, the end user(s) are usually the problem but ....

since the repair shop personnel have to clean up after them I recognize where you are coming from.

First, in addition to Avast (if that is your preference) use a second virus scanner (either an online scan from Panda or TrendMicro or some other site or Avira, AVG, or any you prefer ) This second scan by a second scanner will usually pick up anything the first scanner might have missed because none of the scannersw can catch everything.

Second, in addition to MalwareBytes try Super- Anti Spyware and Hitman Pro and even Dr Web CureIt. Again multiple scanners find different things that others miss. A good one for most users is Spyware Terminator which you could set up for them as it will auto-update and can be set for auto-scans without user intervention - get it from the Spyware Terminator web site as there is malware parading under the same name - http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Third, you might consider something specifically for Rootkits such as Sophos Anti-Rootkit , F-Secure Blacklight, Rootkit Revealer, Unhackme, or any other that works on the OS you might be working with.

Fourth and definitely not least EDUCATE the user and leave these free utilities installed for them to use.

- Collapse -
The problem with that

Is that more often than not, the user is already too confused with the simple Antivirus.
Now, I was actually asking for myself. Putting all those software that one *should* have on their computer plus probably a firewall it's just too much for people to handle and if they were savvy enough to use all those programs they probably wouldn't be in that situation in the first place.
I do appreciate the comment it was most educating I will look into those programs.
I have had a really good experience with UnHackMe it got me out of a really tricky situation.

CNET Forums

Forum Info