General discussion

Best < $500 Lenses

by indyman6 / April 13, 2006 9:16 AM PDT

I am looking for the best sub $500:
a.) 17-70mm lenses ? Sigma F2.8-4.5
b.) 20 to 30mm prime lense ?1.4
c.) 70 or 100 to 300mm telephoto lense
to go with a Canon 20D.
The best flash cards (Compact flash) Sandisk or Lexar?
The best place to get Photo books made for major trips and events from my photos?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best < $500 Lenses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best < $500 Lenses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't get many good, Canon lenses for less than
by Kiddpeat / April 13, 2006 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Best < $500 Lenses

$500. My advice is to stay with Canon, and get the best medium range zoom that you can afford. I would aim for L lenses, although I realize that they are costly. Then save your money for additional and/or better lenses. I just talked to a bunch of working pros last night. They said to stick with Canon or Nikon. They are both good. Anything else isn't.

I use the Sandisk Extreme III 1gig with the 20D. It is fast enough that the camera doesn't seem to be slowed down by it. I always shoot raw unless I'm running short on space.

Also, look for a portable harddrive with a built in card reader. You'll be surprised how fast those cards fill up. When I'm traveling, I usually have a portable computer that can burn a second copy of the images to CD.

I have no experience with photo books, but there are all kinds of services around these days.

Collapse -
Canon Lenses for 20 D
by rogernoel / April 17, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

I agree with the previous writer that Canon lens are your best choice for your camera but, look at some third party lenses too. I don't know what your objective is in photography and what you want to shoot. Moreover, there is also the question how large are you going to print the pictures?

No argument that Canon L lenses are the cream of the crop, and if you are a pro and can afford it, go for the L's. On the other hand, I have six lenses, no L's and two are Sigma lenses. The Sigma 10-20 mm WA has been an excellent lens for me. I use a Canon 28-135mm USM IS as my walk around lens. For my tele use, I have the new Canon 70-300 USM IS lens and for portraits, I use the very cheap but great Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. My next purchase will be the 30D, but I am an amateur and still getting by with the Canon 300D.

Collapse -
70-300
by Alan Copeland / April 17, 2006 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Best < $500 Lenses

I just ordered a Tamron 70-300 for my Minolta 5D. They also make it for Canon and Nikon. The newest Di model is due out in May. Cost is around $160. You can get the non-Di model for $10 less if you look around, but it appears that dealer inventory is slim at this time. FWIW, I ordered mine from Adorama. They had the best price I could find. I have heard from others who have the older version and they say it is a killer lens.

I bought Lexar 80X 2GB CF for my 5D. I have heard good things about other brands, but it seems that some brands don't work well with all cameras.

Collapse -
I just checked Adorama in the last few days. User rating
by Kiddpeat / April 17, 2006 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: 70-300

is 5 out of 10. Watch out! That sure didn't look good to me. 17th Street Photo, by contrast, was scoring a 10. B&H is also very reliable, and scores high.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.