Desktops forum

General discussion

BENQ- BAD company-NO AFTER SALE SERVICE

by pacifist / September 11, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

I purchase a DW1655 Benq dvd/rw with lightscribe and tried to use it for the first time today and continue to get "Cannot communicate with lightscribe" error when attempting to make a label.
I contacted benQ and they told me they don't look after anything to do with lightscribe and to find something on the internet by googling Lightscribe. They would not even provide me with a phone number, web site or the name of the company that looks after lightscribe and offered no assistance what so ever.
As a result I have a benQ DW1655 dvd-rw with lightscribe for sale and would like info on where to buy one that offers some after sale service. This unit writes to disk just won't do the lightscribe thing.
I can't believe how a company like BenQ can survive with an attitude like theirs.
Anyone else have similar problems with BenQ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BENQ- BAD company-NO AFTER SALE SERVICE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BENQ- BAD company-NO AFTER SALE SERVICE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a Benq exclusive (no support.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 2:07 AM PDT

My bet is the same issue would happen with the HP models in your machine.

Since you didn't tell anything about your machine I can only note the usual causes and leave you to sort it out. But first, why should Benq support your PC? Isn't that for you and your machine's maker?

Most common issues I've run across are:

1. Out of date or not installed motherboard drivers.
2. Intel accelerator software may interfere.
3. Odd jumpering scheme.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Who should look after it
by pacifist / September 11, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

I purchased this BenQ DW1655 unit last month, updated the firmware and followed all the instructions. It printed out 1 disk and then no more. The error message states it is a Lightscribe error and appears to be a problem with the dvd/rw unit which is BenQ, so who else should offer support for their unit.
If Benq is selling these why do they not offer support. I only wanted to get to the bottom of the problem and they would not assist at all, no phone number, website or even who I should be talking to.
Do you think this is acceptable behaviour for product support?
My Motherboard drivers are up to date and my machine is a P4 2.8gh 1024mh ram and my jumpering is as a master as the only unit on the secondary IDE.
Can the Intel accelerator software be shut off and can it be the problem if it printed the first label Ok?

Collapse -
If so, then return it as defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

Do you think this is acceptable behaviour for product support?

Today it appears to be the norm. We can discuss about it and agree that it shouldn't be so but the common issues are that many machines have issues such as I noted plus many will call it in without regard to putting in the lightscribe media proper. A few wrote they thought it wrote on all media and while it worked once that still leaves us with the usual PC drivers and other issues.

"My Motherboard drivers are up to date and my machine is a P4 2.8gh 1024mh ram and my jumpering is as a master as the only unit on the secondary IDE."

Let me check that. What chipset is that and what date is on the motherbaord driver package. Good to read about the jumper. That would be proper if a 40 conductor cable was used but improper on an 80 conductor cable.

If you have a defective unit then you only need to get it exchanged and not "supported." No company helps us "get to the bottom of this." It's not done since you might not be willing to pay for a technician to go over your machine.

Bob

Collapse -
I have not found the product warranty yet
by pacifist / September 11, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

Intel D845GVSR Motherboard and a Bios date of 5/2/06 ver P20
My IDE is a flat cable and appears to have a lot more than 40 wires as I attempted to count and got to 20 before I was 1/4 way across, so I assume it must be 80 wire.
Would switching to 40 wire help?
I am attempting to determine my warranty period but have not found it yet.
The media I am using to lightscribe on is: Verbatim Lightscribe CD-R 52X 30PK Spindle 80MIN 700MB
If it helps I get the same delay and warning if I select lightscribe preview as I do selecting print.
Nero with lightscribe is the software than came with the unit

Collapse -
Here's the Intel.com link and date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 4:00 AM PDT
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=757&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21

"INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE] (1541KB)
6.3.0.1007 12/16/2004
This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB and AGP."

Don't install the Accelerator software as I've found it to interfere with items like lightscribe.

Nero (Ahead software) does note updates for LightScribe issues. Got 'em?

-> Worth noting is that while it worked once some will
not look for updates to the machine or software since
it worked once. I've learned to not be derailed
like that.

"My IDE is a flat cable and appears to have a lot more than 40 wires as I attempted to count and got to 20 before I was 1/4 way across, so I assume it must be 80 wire.
Would switching to 40 wire help?"

I prefer 80 conductor cables. The blue connection
would go to the mainboard, the black to the master
drive and the jumper would be Cable Select for 80
conductor cables.

Here's the point I was making. Do you think Benq
should be supporting your PC and working through
these possible issues?

"If it helps I get the same delay and warning if I select lightscribe preview as I do selecting print.
Nero with lightscribe is the software than came with the unit"

One of my repeating annoyances is that what comes with
most products is out of date or needs patches before
they work. Also no one seems to put in the
documention items like "May not work with Intel
Accelerator".

I see you have the right media. Did you flip it over?

Bob
Collapse -
Nero updates and benq firmware were updated before
by pacifist / September 11, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

trying the print operation. However I rechecked again and Nero and Benq firmware #BCDB are both current
Yes I did flip the media over when attempting to write and I have read all the instructions as well as viewed the Lighscribe video tutorial provided by Nero.
I do have the blue connectors on my IDE cables on MB and black to the DVD drive
I do not expect Benq to solve any problems that are not their fault or problem but at least expect a better answer than "we don't have anything to do with Lightscribe and try googling Lightscribe on the internet for help"
I would expect an answer such as: try this number, website or company name or a reference of some sort.
I also wrote to them for help on THEIR contact site for technical assistance and the mail was returned not deliverable, go figure.
I am going to try the INF file you recommended, again, as it is the one already on my machine
This accelerator is already on my machine will reloading the inf files reset it? Or should I uninstall it as it shows up in my install/uninstall programs section?
I still have not come across where it says anything about the Intel accelerator but am about to reread everything including the lightscribe site I did find on the Internet
I will advise as to my progress, Thanks

Collapse -
"This accelerator is already on my machine "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

Hey, your choice here. You didn't really answer my questions and seem to second guess my take on the Intel accelerator.

Entirely your choice on both matters. I can only share my experiences and hope it helps.

But if we remove the Intel accelerator and that doesn't do the trick then the drive is to be declared DEAD and exchanged ASAP.

-> About email. You also need to know that because of spammers many domains are simply ignored. There is also that issue that millions are looking for machine support. Most won't pay for it so companies may be slow in responding.

So far I don't see a good drive and while you may think it far and beyond the call a test of the drive in another known good machine would be the last test.

I'd skip that and ask for the exchange or full refund.

Bob

Collapse -
re: who should look after it
by ramarc / September 11, 2006 2:16 PM PDT

don't expect hp/dell/seagate level tech support from benq or other smaller niche optical drive manufacturers. the margin on drives is too low to support telephone customer support. if you're paying $45 for a piece of hardware (the web price for a benq OEM drive) you won't get a helpful rep to hold your hand. get a plextor drive if you want such support.

as for your drive, you probably need the "lightscribe system software". some companies don't provide it with their drives -- i have an lg drive and use http://dl1.Nero.com/LS_HSI.EXE. here's some additional links:

lightscribe: http://www.lightscribe.com/gettingstarted/index.aspx?id=87
benq firmware & feedback: http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/1260
benq forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?