iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Benefits of Upgrading iPod Touch to 3.0

by Manny_the_Cavalier / June 15, 2009 5:06 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I just want to know if you have any idea if it's really worth it to upgrade an iPod Touch to version 3.0. If yes, can you enumerate the benefits. All I know is that there's a lot of features added for an iPhone, but I'm not sure if iPod Touch will also benefit from this upgrade.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Benefits of Upgrading iPod Touch to 3.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Benefits of Upgrading iPod Touch to 3.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure either
by mattlp / June 19, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

Since I don't currently own one. I just read the Apple website, and here are the benefits they enumerate:
- download from iTunes via wifi.
- Stereo bluetooth
- peer to peer gaming
- landscape keyboard in Mail, Notes and Safari
- spotlight search
- cut, copy & paste.
There are others on Apple's site: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html
My Nano was ruined recently and I was thinking of replacing it with a Touch, but decided to wait until the new OS is out. I just can't tell if it's available on the new Touches or if I go into to buy one I get an old one and need to upgrade the OS.

Collapse -
Not sure either
by Manny_the_Cavalier / June 19, 2009 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure either

Thanks a lot Mattlp. Appreciate your response.

I think I just answered my question on this thread. I just upgraded my 1st Gen Ipod Touch... and... well, I suggest that all of you out there who have the same Ipod as mine to not upgrade your 1st Gen Touch to 3.0. To tell you honestly, I can say that there's no much benefits. Just get the 2.2 version and everything just as the same as 3.0. Your $10 is not worth for it.

Just a friendly tip...

Collapse -
I'm with you
by justwinbaby / June 19, 2009 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure either

I just can't see any reason why I would upgrade my ipod touch 1st gen. 2.0 to the 3.0. I'm very satisfied with how my ipod operates right now and don't see how the new software will benefit me.

Collapse -
I'm with you
by Manny_the_Cavalier / June 22, 2009 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm with you

I agree with you, justwinbaby.

The few changes I noticed so far for the past few days since I upgraded it to 3.0 is it added a search field, and... I think that was it. If anybody can add something to it, that would be much appreciated. The browsing speed is still the same. The battery life is also the same.

Darn! Apple should have had advised people who are using 1st Gen Ipod Touch to stick with the 2.x version because it won't benefit anything compared to at least the 2nd Gen Touch.

Thanks a lot Apple!

Collapse -
iphone bluetooth compatbility
by kevinkubits / July 7, 2009 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm with you
Collapse -
OS 3.0 Speed difference?
by dell_dude3449 / September 20, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

There are some of the new features I would like (copy/paste, google maps w/ streetview, search, etc.) but my concern is the overall speed of the device. I have two friends who also have an 1G iPod touch like I do, and both have upgraded to 3.0. One said it's a lot slower now, and the other said it's faster. I need to get an honest answer here, because one of them I don't know well enough to trust, and the other I know well enough not to trust.
What have your experiences been with the speed(new features aside) of OS 3.0 or 3.1 on a 1g touch?
Thanks,
Nick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?