TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Benefits of a consumer model plasma TV?

by johnhartshorn / May 3, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

I was looking looking at an industrial model panasonic plasma, but a salesperson at my local store told me that the picture quality on consumer models is better because industrial models are designed for things like airports, and static, non-moving pictures. Does anyone know if this is true?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Benefits of a consumer model plasma TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Benefits of a consumer model plasma TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FUD,,, yes there are differences,, But,,
by jcrobso / May 3, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

Comsumer modles have lots and lots of inputs to hook up all the goodies.
Industrial models only have a few inputs, they are desinged to be used with video switchers.
If anything they would have slightly higher picture quality. John

Collapse -
Im not sure
by gabereyes / May 3, 2006 3:58 AM PDT

but I do know a consumer model has more usable inputs.

Collapse -
No It Is Not True, Don't Buy Anything From That Person
by RoadRunner6 / May 3, 2006 3:07 PM PDT

Manufacturers like Panasonic make both industrial and consumer models that are basically the same as far as glass and electronics. Many times the industrial models will tend to have more flexibility and tweekability. Thus, many will say that the picture on the industrial models are slightly superior. However, I think this is because they are able to do more picture adjustments. You should be happy with either.

I would buy the consumer or industrial model based on your own needs. Do you need the tuner and speakers? What about the cabinet color. I actually bought the industrial model Panny mainly because I wanted an all black cabinet and I did not need the tuner and speakers. I purchased the stand separately. The picture quality on the Panny industrial and consumer models are virtually identical.

I stongly dislike salespeople who pass bad information just to make a sale. What that person told you is nonsense.

RR6

Collapse -
Floow Up
by RoadRunner6 / May 3, 2006 3:11 PM PDT

When I mentioned the flexibility on the industrial models I was talking about the picture controls.

John is correct about more inputs on the consumer models.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by johnhartshorn / May 5, 2006 7:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply -- all we really care about is being able to hook up the cable, DVR and speakers, so it sounds like either the consumer or industrial models would work. Besides CNET, is there any other place to get good info on this kind of stuff?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
depends on your knowledge
by masterying01 / May 3, 2006 3:22 PM PDT

if you know your way around home theater equpipment(example: know what inputs you need to get the best pictuer and know how to hook it up), already have a surround sound, and like to "build things" (cause if you want things like 2 hdmi inputs..you're gonna hve to buy extra boards to install into the plasma)....then go with the industrial.

if you are looking at the industrial just to save a couple hundred dollars, have no idea what you're doing and need things to be color coded, or if you're just really lazy....go with the consumer model.

at the end...you wont notice a difference other then on the outside of the tv.

Collapse -
This is just a theory
by gabereyes / May 7, 2006 3:10 PM PDT

I would thank a Industrial model would be designed to be matched with a PC feeding the video or still pictures, for a company to run ads or demos, witch would be a best case hookup, its like running down hill for a TV.

But I dont see them putting in a good video processor, for standard images from basic cable, or DVD quality stuff, so there would be no reason to put in 3:2 pull down, comb filters, progressive scan, ATSC-QAM tuners, or be set anywhere near NTSC standards.

all this statments or just a guess, but the saleman could be right but im sure he didnt know any of this, I think I would stick with a consumer model to be safe, it like trying to by a industrial van that doesnt have any back seats.

I would say a Industrial Plasma might have a better picture on HD but what about the rest, its sounds a little scary.

The only thing I do know is when a customer comes in the store and needs help hooking up a Industrial plasma I cant help them, for one I dont carry RCA to BNC connectors and two I dont have a clue what inputs they have to work with.

so if you dont work for a ISF or your a Pro a at video displays, I would stay away from them.

Collapse -
This Is Nonsense
by RoadRunner6 / May 7, 2006 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: This is just a theory

Sorry, for the direct comment, but your presumptions are just not true.

Many consumers including so called videophiles buy the industrial models. Check any of the many Forums that specialize in flat panel TV's and you will find thousands of pages of discussions about the Panasonic industrial series plasmas just to mention one brand. These are bought for home theater systems.

There are many specialty dealers such as Visual Apex who are excellent sources for buying these plasmas. This dealer for one gives great customer service and can answer any questions. They are experts on plasmas and everything you need to compliment your system. The connectors (BNC/RCA) adaptors are readily available. The video processors are the same. Yes they have some connection differences which a buyer needs to know. But they are basically the same in picture quality. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to the rank newbie unless they do some research before making a choice. Most of them do not come with stands, speakers or tuners. They have all the necessary features for home theater plus more flexible video settings.

Your comment:

''But I dont see them putting in a good video processor, for standard images from basic cable, or DVD quality stuff, so there would be no reason to put in 3:2 pull down, comb filters, progressive scan, ATSC-QAM tuners, or be set anywhere near NTSC standards''

is completely unknowledgeable especially for someone who apparently sells for a B&M store.

I don't know if it is on purpose or not, but I for one get tired of CNET posters who work at B&M stores giving the ''sales pitch'' here in posts to discourage readers here from considering products they don't carry in their stores.

We definitely appreciate the facts and knowledge that you people share with us due to your inside knowledge being in the business. But please refrain from the ''sales talk'' pushing your products no matter how subtle (intentional or not).

RR6

Collapse -
Sorry about the sales talk
by gabereyes / May 7, 2006 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: This Is Nonsense

but if he doest know what any of tech talk means, then he will be force to get help at a store somewhere, and it allready hard for the average consumer to hook up a HDTV, they dont need more challenges.

and I was under the assumption that videophiles buy CRT tubes like the KD34XBR or Runco CRT projectors, never heard of a videophile buying a panasonic plasma, maybe pioneer, NEC, Runco, or fujitsu plasma but maybe im just completely unknowledgeable especially for someone who apparently sells for a B&M store.

Collapse -
Also Sorry.....
by RoadRunner6 / May 7, 2006 5:51 PM PDT

.....but I got the impression you worked at an electronics store (where do you work?):

''The only thing I do know is when a customer comes in the store and needs help hooking up a Industrial plasma I cant help them, for one I dont carry RCA to BNC connectors and two I dont have a clue what inputs they have to work with.''

By Videophiles I meant to desribe those that spend countless hours researching before buying and then countless more hours testing and tweeking. The phony ones think that a common brand such as Panasonic can't possibly make the best plasma for the money, surprise, they do. Check out the Panasonic Plasma section at the AVS Forum. Pioneer, NEC, Runco (way overpriced and sold only at video boutiques), Fujitsu (now stickly Hitachi I've heard) also make excellent plasmas.

You obviously know of brands such as Runco and NEC but you don't know that Panny and other industrial plasma models have all the same features as the consumer models?

Many buyers get their info online just as we are doing here. I find it is a lot more reliable than talking to 95% of the salepeople in stores who last month were perhaps selling cameras or refrigerators. No offense in particular to any store personnel, but it is rare to find a truly knowledgeable saleperson in audio/video even at the supposed high end dealers.

RR6

Collapse -
here is a quick resume
by gabereyes / May 8, 2006 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Also Sorry.....

I do sell TV's and have been for seven years now, Ive worked for Circuit city, NFM, Ultimate Electronics, and now a sells and install trainer at Best Buy.

My reference electronics that I own are Sony KD-34xbr960, Hitachi 50swx20b, Denon DVD player,Onkyo txr600, Infinity Alpha series speakers, Velodyne sub, ATi HDTV wonder, pioneer elite DVD player, and all hooked up with Monster Z series cable, Calibated with sound and vision DVD, DVE Disc, and Avia Disc, through user and service menu's.

I know alot about consumer products on almost any level, but I will admit I dont know alot about industrial models.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?