General discussion

Belkin Wireless N Router: LAN - YES. Wireless - NO. Help?

Toshiba Satellite A205 - laptop
Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

I set up my Belkin-N wireless router through the Toshiba mentioned above. I successfully connected an additional laptop (new Dell) to the network and it works fine. However, when I unplug the Ethernet cable and try to connect wirelessly on the Toshiba, it says I have "limited connectivity" and am unable to get on the Internet.

I've fiddled around a little bit, but I am at a loss. Help?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Belkin Wireless N Router: LAN - YES. Wireless - NO. Help?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Belkin Wireless N Router: LAN - YES. Wireless - NO. Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There are 2 clues in your post.

One is the ethernet connection and then I see no mention of a reboot before retrying the wifi.

The second one is that Vista Ultimate. That version if cleanly installed rarely sees the wifi working. I'd pester who installed that for drivers.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I rebooted after the install. The wireless connection worked for about 10 minutes yesterday before freezing up. Last night and today, however, only the Ethernet connection works. The wireless connection is recognized in the network and sharing center, but only with limited connectivity.

Vista was factory installed. If I still have the drivers CD, should I reload the wireless driver?

- Collapse -
Vista Ultimate is rarely a factory install.

And few Toshibas had a driver CD. But sure, go ahead and try that.

Be sure your wifi is secure or it may indeed get hijacked. The Cnet Networking Forum is full of posts about wifi troubles that vanished when we moved to WPA/WPA2.

Bob

- Collapse -
re:Belkin Wireless N Router: LAN - YES. Wireless - NO. Help?

Well Mr.Proffitt, I feel your pain!
My Linksys WRT54g finally gave out after many years of faithful service and had to buy a new router. One moment of silence please while I wipe the tear from my left eye...

OK, I purchased a Belkin "Play Max". And REGRET it! Wow, what a piece of junk.

First, DO NOT install the software. Just links to the routers page for setup and HTTP://192.168.2.1 is faster. Not counting the 20mins to install the stupid crpware.

My symptoms:
Kept losing my connection for NO apparent reason. Just dies. Have to reset the dang router to defaults way too many times.

I am hard headed though, I WILL NOT let a piece of hardware beat me! That is my personality type you C. LOL

Called Belkin and they said it was my Windows XP. So that was a short conversation! Hung up and hacked away.

After the <lost count> re-set, I kept to the very simple default settings. Just making one little change at a time over a few days. Yes, "days" to get to the root of the problems. Still working on as we speak becasue I really want to use some of the options.

I got down to enabling the Guest account so anyone coming in my home with laptop or iPhone can just jump on and outside of the secured network.
EVERY time I enable, the router locks up and I am forced to do a hard reset. I tried the restore from file, but that does not work, the reset from the routers config does not work either. Annoying!

So, this is where I am in my adventure with "NO Play Max" router.

If you get yours working (including all the widgets) PLEASE pass along to me. I would love to hear from you or anyone that can tell me why / what need to do.

I know, long winded response, but I a very annoyed with this router and NEED to get it working as designed. Right now, I have connections, but just barely.

some links: If you have any others, please share
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/belkin-play-max-wireless/4505-3319_7-34057930.html

Rick

CNET Forums

Forum Info