Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time

by hgratt / October 23, 2003 10:03 AM PDT

I have just purchased and set up a Belkin wireless g router (f5d7230-4). I have a cable modem feeding the router and a desktop (win xp pro) connected to the router via a wired connection.

My laptop (win 98se) uses the Belkin wireless pc card (f5d7010). Also, I updated the router firmware to the latest version posted on the Belkin site.

I have MAC filtering enabled, WEP enabled and am not broadcasting my SSID. Also have zone alarm free with each networked computer in the others trusted zone.

This setup appears to work correctly with one exception - the router will occasionally will lose the connection to the internet ( the

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time - Cannot due long Posts!!!!
by hgratt / October 23, 2003 10:07 AM PDT

( the

Collapse -
Re:Re:Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time - Cannot due long Posts!!!!

If the router ocassionally loses the internet connection, and it seems as though you've followed the appropriate setup steps, this could probably be a hardware-related issue with the router and should be returned.

OR this could be an issue with either your cable modem or DSL modem from your service provider. See what other responses come in, but I had the same issue two years ago. My service provider gave me an upgraded cable modem that worked fine. What we don't realize is that, cable companies for security and other reasons, make modifications to signal and equipment that can play havoc with PC related hardware.

Good luck, and await other responses.

W!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time - Cannot due long Posts!!!!

Thanks for your response. This is the 2nd Belkin router I've tried (Staples swapped it out) and has the same issue - the WAN light starts flashing every 30 min, to 4 or 5 hours.

Staples has now allowed me 60 days to return the unit since Belkin is trying to resolve the issue. Belkin is going to take a new router out of stock and stress test it (preferrably with my model of modem) and then send me this 3rd replacement unit. I am now thinking it may be an incompatibility with modem (motorola SB4200). I may also try to have Comcast swap out the modem.

At any rate the response so far, by both Staples and Belkin, has been quite good.

Thanks,
Harvey

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time - Cannot due long Posts!!!!

There is another variable which can lead to dropped connections. The age and condition of the Coax cabling being used, as well as the number of times that cable signal is split before it reaches the modem can have that effect

Collapse -
Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4)

Sure would be interesting to find out what ever happened with that router. Staples is almost giving it away this week.

Collapse -
Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - One More Time
by tigershark / January 26, 2005 10:19 PM PST

have you checked the Connection Type: dynamic, static, PPPoE, PPTP that is set for the router? i have the Belkin FSD7231-4 w/Verizon DSL and when i set mines up with PPPoE i lost my connection from time-to-time. i finally changed it back to dynamic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.