HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Belkin notebook card F5D8011df

by warrenpurple / October 9, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

Hey, was wandering if anybody could possible help me as Belkin have the worst tech support ever.
I have a compaq nx9005 laptop running windows xp sp3.
I had previously a Belkin usb wireless adapter (FD58051uk) this worked fine in every room in my house,good to excellent connection, however this caused my cooling fan to be permanently on when connected to the internet, and this was cause for concern to me.
So I bought the notebook card, these are both high performance (N1)MIMO
however the connection in every room bar the one with the router is poor to very poor, has anybody a clue as to why this is, or if there's a possible fix,hope someone can help..Cheers Warren

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belkin notebook card F5D8011df
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belkin notebook card F5D8011df
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about this video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

Listen to what he says about the "bars" in his home -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA

Belkin support was fine for me. BUT they do not install your network. Just talk about driver versions and such. Your home, coverage and such is your problem, not Belkins. Many expected the hardware makers to cover more than just the hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
hey Bob
by warrenpurple / October 10, 2009 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: How about this video.

This device is the same spec as the usb type ,however it is very different (poor), I'm not gonna make some cardboard cut-out booster when I've paid Good money for something I expect to work..

Collapse -
Same reply last week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: hey Bob

An owner said "I'm not moving my router (with wifi) out of my basement. It should work fine there."

This in spite of warnings about that.

How should owners be answered if they won't follow instructions or try cheap fixes?
Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by warrenpurple / October 10, 2009 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Same reply last week.

Look, I know you're trying to help, but what idiot would put their router in a basement?, I'm sorry but I haven't a clue what you are on about, I was hoping for some technical advice like try this driver etc not some Blue Peter workshop, Please if you can't be constructive then I'd rather you left me alone. Thanks anyway for taking the time to mail me, Have a nice day
Warren

Collapse -
That helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob

Given the story my advice is to go get your money back and try another product.

I have to write posts like this to see where members stand and what they think to which you are being much more clear that you want a product that works without any tweaks or adjustments. I know that sometimes just changing make or model will help immensely but what works in my house may not work 2 doors down. This is why we end up with a swap and try it approach.

-> In closing I don't see what settings you use. For EXAMPLE that old advice about hiding the SSID is dated and creates networks that drop and have trouble connecting. But we are not talking about settings but about today's expectations from the maker's tech support lines. While that is interesting to me you may not like the answers so if you can, share your router settings such as SSID broadcast on/off, and which security you used. Over in our Networking forum is the recommended settings if you want to try those.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.