Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Belkin 802.11b router, Can't connect all PCs at same time

by bsawick / November 26, 2003 4:05 AM PST

Hello,

I have 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop with a wireless network card. The two desktops are networked and can "see" each other. The laptop cannot see the other computers or be seen by the desktops.

I am able to get either the 2 desktops internet access OR the laptop internet acces - however, I cannot have all 3 with internet access at once. (ie. if the 2 desktops are on-line, when I use the laptop to access the internet the two desktops loose their internet connection).

I would like to be able to have all 3 computers accessing the internet at the same time. It is as if my laptop kicks the 2 desktops off of the internet. Incidentally, I had DSL access a while ago and had the same problem.
Any suggestions?

I have a Motorola Cable Modem with service through Optimum Online (Cablevision).
This is attached to a Belkin 802.11b wireless router.
Attached to the router with ethernet cables are 2 desktop PCs running Windows 2000.
My Dell laptop is running Windows 98 and has a Belkin wireless network card.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belkin 802.11b router, Can't connect all PCs at same time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belkin 802.11b router, Can't connect all PCs at same time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Belkin 802.11b router, Can't connect all PCs at same time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 4:42 AM PST

There is so much ground to cover here and so much informatin you've left out. Such as the IP number plan you used and if you configured the Belkin with the latest firmware and set the belkin to support at least 34 machines. You can mull over this as I note a few issues.

1. "I have 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop with a wireless network card. The two desktops are networked and can "see" each other. The laptop cannot see the other computers or be seen by the desktops."

a. In my networks, unless a share is enabled, the machine in question is not in the Network Neighborhood. This is proper.

b. You didn't share the IP numbers, if the names of the WORKGROUP was the same on each or if you installed a firewall on what boxes. ALL these items make for too much guesswork from me. All I can ask is that you think over why such is needed.

2. "I am able to get either the 2 desktops internet access OR the laptop internet acces - however, I cannot have all 3 with internet access at once. (ie. if the 2 desktops are on-line, when I use the laptop to access the internet the two desktops loose their internet connection)."

Here, the gritty details of what constitutes loss of connection is left out.

3. "I would like to be able to have all 3 computers accessing the internet at the same time. It is as if my laptop kicks the 2 desktops off of the internet. Incidentally, I had DSL access a while ago and had the same problem."

Seems to be a recurring theme. A simple misconfiguration of the Belkin router such as not setting the number of supported machines high enough or other is a thought, but with so little information, it's only a guess.

4. "Any suggestions?"

As above and call Belkin. They are smarting over the debacle of programming their router to deliver people to advertisements.

5. "I have a Motorola Cable Modem with service through Optimum Online (Cablevision).
This is attached to a Belkin 802.11b wireless router.
Attached to the router with ethernet cables are 2 desktop PCs running Windows 2000.
My Dell laptop is running Windows 98 and has a Belkin wireless network card."

That's only a sliver of the information required. A phone call to Belkin could find it as you work the issues list.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Belkin 802.11b router, Can't connect all PCs at same time
by bsawick / November 26, 2003 5:16 AM PST

Thanks for your suggestions.

I appologize for leaving out a bunch of critical info. - that's why I'm not a network engineer...lol.

I didn't know about configuring Belkin for multiple machines. I might try that before calling Belkin.

As for IPs - I left them the way they were and have not changed anyting. All are set to automatically obtain an IP I believe.
Should they all start with "192.168...."?

The latest firmware for Belkin has already been downloaded.

The WORKGROUP is the same on all 3 computers and sharing is enabled.

The Belkin router has a firewall that is enabled.
Zone Alarm is installed on the laptop.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'll be calling Belkin later today and dazzling them with my lack of networking knowledge...lol.

Collapse -
Someday we might plug it in and it will work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 6:00 AM PST

This is an ongoing issue as to why so much knowledge is required of people who just want it to work. Don't feel bad about this.

The IP Plan is still unknown to me. And revealing that I use 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.100 with the router at .1 is not telling anyone a state secret. The NETMASK of 255.255.255.0 would have been great to know as well.

You revealed that the WORKGROUP name is the same, but didn't tell it's name. Why this is at issue is that through the years Microsoft has BUNGLED on whether you can name the group with 15 letter+numbers or 16. And you can't call it INTERNET. Keeping these gritty details to yourself keeps a gaffe a secret. It may seem like I'm prying, but you have to let someone know these things since not everyone will know all the pitfalls.

The NUMBER of supported machines in your case is what I would push to 34. The reason is this. 32 is some 802.11b possible number of machines per WAP (Wireless Access Point.) 2 more for your LAN. Come to think of it, the router could count in. Make that 35 to remove this from the possible issues list.

ZONE ALARM ON THE LAPTOP is a TACTICAL blinder. You've roped off the machine before we even got a network up and running. As such I can only guess what it has done.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Someday we might plug it in and it will work.
by gavinayling / December 5, 2003 4:52 AM PST

I do not know if you got this working - but unless you have ZoneAlarm Pro, it does not allow you to trust local IP addresses - this will be your entire problem. Get the pro version or another brand of software firewall...

Collapse -
networking

i have got bt broadband and two laptops but instead of using the wired internet connection i wanted to change over to the wireless connection but cant seem to get around it i just bought a belkin adsl modem with wireless g router but prior to that was using the bt voyager205 adsl router and when i tried connecting the wireless connection it kept prompting me that local network cable is unplugged and one other question is must one of the laptops be permanently connected to the router? my op is windows xp.

Collapse -
How will this help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: networking

The poster has a Belkin and was looking for help with that.

Your post seems to be a new discussion but is under another discussion. Why is that?

Bob

Collapse -
vista
by janetflood / July 19, 2010 11:11 PM PDT

I use the Belkin router ADSL2+ as well, my system is Vista 32bit, I'm having problems connecting via wireless to download Windows update, all I get is an error code, the router is also affecting my Virus program updates as well, I get failed each time, if I use an ethernet cable windows update sucessfully as well as my virus program updating succesfully as well, the way I found out was a friend of mine, he repairs computers, was trying to find out what's wrong with my laptop, after trying many times of altering settings etc, he tried his sons lap top also Vista, and it did the same thing, failed on windows updates, so that's why we're both thinking the router is perhaps not compatible with Vista, Can someone perhaps shed some light on this, I do hope so, regards J Davies

Collapse -
This post is from 2003.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2010 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: vista

In the new forum software any post that has no activity will lock after a year.

About the Windows update issues. Here's a recent discussion about the .NET update failures.

-> http://blog.usabilitythinking.com/2010/06/root-cause-for-corrupted-net-framework/

As this is deeply technical let me sum it is. It's not the router, it's not you and it's not all Microsoft at fault here. It took a few mistakes for this failure.

My suggestion is that you post which update is failing in the CNET Vista forum.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.