Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Belarc Advisor is right - Windows Update is wrong

Belarc Advisor said my desktop needed 10 security updates and Windows Updates said none were needed. I finally found each of the 10 that applied to my XP SP3 system and installed them. I had to use Google to search for "KB*** update download" and then make sure I got the right one on the Microsoft site.

I bought a used HP NC6000 for a grandson and Windows Update said I needed SP3 which downloaded and installed fine. Then a check on Windows Update again said 18 updates were needed. They all downloaded but failed to install.

Belarc said I needed the same 10 that I needed for the desktop and I got them installed.

From now on, I will not use Windows Update.

The failure to install is apparently a common problem and I found lots of solutions that didn't work for me or anyone else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belarc Advisor is right - Windows Update is wrong
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belarc Advisor is right - Windows Update is wrong
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Then the day comes you read a post that proclaims

In reply to: Belarc Advisor is right - Windows Update is wrong

Windows Update is right - Belarc Advisor is wrong

This issue has been with us a very very long time. The moment you think you have it pegged, the shape of the peg holes change.
Bob

Collapse -
But you are right about

In reply to: Then the day comes you read a post that proclaims

the not installing. A very common occurrence. _ Amos

Collapse -
Well, I stuck with it and found on CNet forums:

In reply to: Belarc Advisor is right - Windows Update is wrong

Windows XP updates fail to install
by fnlvn2 - 7/28/07 12:16 AM
In reply to: Windows Update KB928366 by jackfrost64

This sounds like a problem that I have after I've performed a repair installation. It's taken me about 6 months of research through tech sites including Microsoft's to find a repair that always works. In summary all if my updates would download but, all failed to install.
The solution is to register the dll files associated with the Windows Update Program. To do this do the following
Go to the start button then then the run button and type the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll (enter) you will recieve a confirmation message
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Reboot and go to the windows update site and try to install your security update. I do understand that my problem was somewhat different than yours. However, one of the items that I was attempting to update was the same as yours. Therefore I'm quite confident that the solution is the same.

This worked for the updates that wouldn't install.

My grandson picked up his computer 10 min ago and it is up-to-date.

Collapse -
I should have used quote marks

In reply to: Well, I stuck with it and found on CNet forums:

"Windows XP updates fail to install
by fnlvn2 - 7/28/07 12:16 AM
In reply to: Windows Update KB928366 by jackfrost64
This sounds like a problem that I have after I've performed a repair installation. It's taken me about 6 months of research through tech sites including Microsoft's to find a repair that always works. In summary all if my updates would download but, all failed to install.
The solution is to register the dll files associated with the Windows Update Program. To do this do the following
Go to the start button then then the run button and type the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll (enter) you will recieve a confirmation message
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Reboot and go to the windows update site and try to install your security update. I do understand that my problem was somewhat different than yours. However, one of the items that I was attempting to update was the same as yours. Therefore I'm quite confident that the solution is the same."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!