Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Beheading -- the past, the present...

by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / June 23, 2004 9:00 PM PDT
CHOP CHOPS

Historical background
Beheading with a sword or axe goes back a very long way in history, because like hanging, it was a cheap and practical method of execution in early times when a sword or an axe was always readily available.

Equipment for beheading
There are two distinct forms of beheading - by the sword and by the axe. All present day beheadings using the sword. Where a person is to be decapitated with a sword, a block is not used and they are generally made to kneel down

Beheading in Britain
In Britain beheading was introduced during the reign of William the Conqueror for the execution of Waltheof, Earl of Northumberland in 1076. It was confined to those of noble birth who were convicted of treason, or in a very few cases murder.

Germany
Beheading with a high block and axe was the normal method of execution in some L
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Beheading -- the past, the present...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Beheading -- the past, the present...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't forget the guillotine
by Diana Forum moderator / June 23, 2004 9:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Don't forget the guillotine
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / June 23, 2004 10:16 PM PDT

But of course.

The guillotine information is down at the very buttom of the CHOP CHOP link. Happy

Collapse -
Guillotine historical trivia...
by J. Vega / June 23, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

Historical trivia, which was recently covered on the History Chanel: Dr. Guillotine didn't invent it. He saw previously existing similar methods and proposed designing and using a better one (in France). It was not well received. A bit later, someone else proposed the same thing and when it was received favorably, he had Doctor Antoine Louis design one. Dr. Louis had a German engineer build it, and the rest is history. But poor Dr. Guillotine had the historical onus forever attached to his family name.

Collapse -
Re: Guillotine historical trivia...
by Paul C / June 23, 2004 10:56 PM PDT

J., the French doctor was named Guillotin.

"Guillotine" is a form of the French language denoting possession, or in this case, invention (although you're right that Dr. Guillotin did not actually invent the device).

In practice, the guillotine was quick - until the blade became dull, in which case the victim's neck might be broken without much else happening. Sad There are records of French noblemen at the height of the Revolution paying to ensure that a new or freshly sharpened blade was installed prior to their execution...

Collapse -
Perhaps...
by J. Vega / June 24, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

Perhaps I spent too much time around the swamps in South Louisiana (grin).

Collapse -
Re: Guillotine trivia -- and quintessential Guillotine joke
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 23, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

It's the time of the French Revolution and they're doing their usual daily beheadings.

Today they're leading a priest, a prostitute and an engineer up to the guillotine. They ask the priest if he wants to be face up or face down when he meets his fate. The priest says that he would like to be face up so he will be looking toward heaven when he dies.

They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it, it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck. Being devoutly religious, they take this as divine intervention and release the priest.

Next the prostitute comes to the guillotine. She also decides to die face up hoping that she will be as fortunate as the priest.

They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it, it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from her neck. So they release the prostitute as well.

The engineer is next. He too decides to die facing up.

They raise the blade of the guillotine and suddenly the engineer cries out: "Hey, wait! I see what your problem is!!"

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL!!!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Chop Chops !!! let's just say decapitation.
by Mary Kay / June 23, 2004 10:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gracefully said Mary KAY :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / June 23, 2004 10:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: Chop Chops !!! let's just say decapitation.
by Dan McC / June 24, 2004 1:56 AM PDT

Beheading has the aspect of intent that decapitation does not.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: Chop Chops !!! let's just say decapitation.
by Mary Kay / June 24, 2004 2:01 AM PDT

I'll grant you that Dan. My comment was about Chop
Chops . I thought it was just not approrpriate for beheading.

Collapse -
Re: Beheading -- the past, the present...
by John Robie / June 24, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

Re: "....a head is proof that an enemy has been slain..."

Course in the US we learned from the Indians that a scalp is proof and lighter to carry as proof/trophy, even for the occasional bounty offered for such. A victim may also not be quite dead for taking such.

Beheading in the US by axe or sword was rarely used, but beheading was fairly common until professional hangmen were used, and even then they sometimes made mistakes.

Collapse -
Re: Beheading -- the past, the present...
by Dan McC / June 24, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

Actually, the Indians did it a little before the Europeans showed up. It really took off when colonial governments started paying settlers for scalps.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Beheading -- the past is history (2)
by jonah jones / June 24, 2004 8:57 PM PDT

what are your views on beheading in the PRESENT?

how do you view the beheading of innocents by subhuman scumbags?

Collapse -
Re: Beheading -- the past is history (3)
by jonah jones / June 24, 2004 8:59 PM PDT

what are your views on beheading in the PRESENT?

how do you view the beheading of innocent 'kaffirs'
(non-believers) by muslims as a means of protest?

Collapse -
I would be very surprised...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / June 24, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

if CL EVER comments your posts anymore. After the two posts you made to him/her I am just about sure that you can fuggetaboutit! What surprises me is that you are still here and posting after those racist and prejudice attacks you made against his/her person and the entire Muslim community.
You're about to drive away another rather new member from the forum, jonah... SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

Collapse -
people who live in glasshouses......nt
by jonah jones / June 24, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

b

Collapse -
Re: shame on me?
by jonah jones / June 24, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

did i make any racist comments?...no
did i show prejudice?...no
did i say anything about the ENTIRE muslim comunity?...no

Collapse -
No, you said it to CL! And I have the posts here...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / June 24, 2004 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: shame on me?

You want me to send it to your email? Create an account specifically for this at Hotmail and I will send three posts from you where you personally attack CL.

Collapse -
Re: well well well...the wheel turns full circle
by jonah jones / June 25, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

and i get to call you liar! once again.....

newsflash!!!!!!!!!
calling (in this case)al qaeeda terrorists "islamic subhuman scumbags" is NOT, and i repeat, N..O..T.. not, insulting the entire islamic community...

it was chorus line who brought prejudice into SE when he made his 'F16-sticks and stones' post, ergo, calling him prejudicial is NOT a personal attack...

Collapse -
The liar is on your side...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / June 25, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

But I happen to have your posts that have been deleted jonah. Did you ever say that CL had an "islamic hypocritical extremely prejudicial outlook"? If you say no, you are a liar! And if that isn't a personal insult, I don't know what it is! Now you can twist and turn it around as much as you want, because I have nothing more to say to you.

Fi Amanullah

Collapse -
The liar is on your side...You may not have anything more
by dawillie / June 25, 2004 3:00 AM PDT

to say to Jonah, Charlie, but I have something to say to you.

You have deliberately chosen to attack Jonah on his responses to CL.

I have not seen any evidence of CL asking for your or anybody else's help.

that is why we have Mods here.

put another way, what Jonah says in response to CL is none of your business.

this is seen at yet another pathetic attempt on your part to stir things up.

as a post it has no value whatsoever, except to show once again, that you are incapable of coherence, much less any literary ability.

david williams

Collapse -
Re: The liar is on your side...You may not have anything mor
by Dan McC / June 25, 2004 4:21 AM PDT
put another way, what Jonah says in response to CL is none of your business.

Well, it is a public forum.

Dan
Collapse -
Re: The liar is on your side...You may not have anything mor
by dawillie / June 25, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

i grant you it is, Dan.

thepoint i was trying to make is that CL seems none the worse for whatever Jonah was saying.

all Charlie is pathetically attempting to do is stir the pot and then when his post gets pulled, whine about over moderation.

david williams

Collapse -
In SE? Someone stirring the pot? ? Say it ain't so! ! !
by Dan McC / June 25, 2004 6:49 AM PDT
Devil
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It ain't...
Collapse -
Re: of course i said it
by jonah jones / June 25, 2004 3:29 AM PDT

but as it's true, how do you perceive it as a "personal attack"?....n/m

it's also true that he was the one who brought prejudice into the thread, so get of your high horse...

Collapse -
"islamic hypocritical extremely prejudicial outlook"?
by SteveGargini / June 25, 2004 8:42 PM PDT

I shouldn't bother Jonah, that sentence was complete grammatical nonsense.

Collapse -
Re: grammatical nonsense
by jonah jones / June 25, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

taken/used/quoted out of context, i agree...

Collapse -
Re: shame on me?
by Mark G / June 24, 2004 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: shame on me?

in charleies head you did lol Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.