Laptops forum

General discussion

Before buying a Dell computer, read this...

by chafe99 / November 1, 2005 12:57 AM PST

If your thinking of buying a Dell computer you should read this first and think twice. What I've highlighted below is true fact and part of my letter to Mr. Dell. Although I seriously don't think anything will come out of my letter, I strongly feel others should hear my case.

To buy a computer you must have two things - a good product and a good support/service network. You can have the best deal in town on a very good product, but if there is poor support or service to backup the product, would you still buy that product? This is the case with Dell. Read my case and decide for yourself and then reconsider. Do you really want to buy that Dell computer?

When it was time to upgrade my home computer, my first thought was to consider Dell for my systems and software solutions. As a first time Dell customer I placed my order online on September 7.

? On September 7 2005 I placed an order for a DIMENSION XPS GEN 5 computer and flat panel monitor via Dell?s website.

? On September 8 I received an email from Dell confirming my order along with the 3-5 day delivery date.

? On September 15, I received an email indicating that my order was shipped on the 14th and that it would take 3-5 days for delivery. Since I was leaving for vacation on the 21st, I assumed that I would receive my order in time prior to my departure.

? On the morning of the 20th, I called the customer support number to obtain a tracking number and to find out the status of my shipment. The person I spoke with provided a tracking number and they indicated that my shipment should be delivered by noon time that day. They also confirmed my email address and indicated that they would send a survey to track the quality of the call; I never received such email.

By mid-afternoon I had not received my shipment and I was unable to obtain any status form Fedex with the tracking number provided to me. I called the customer support number again and the person I spoke with was also unable to locate my shipment with the tracking number. They indicated that the shipment most likely had not left the shipping department, although a tracking number was issued. The person indicated that they would look into the matter and that they would call me back. I never received a call from that person.

That evening I called the customer support number again and tried to explain my situation. Since I was leaving for vacation the next day and no one would be home to receive the shipment, I was trying to prevent a delivery while I was away. Again, as I understood from my last conversation with the customer support department, my shipment had not left Dell shipping.

Regardless of all my efforts to explain my situation, the person I was speaking to could not understand or comprehend my concern and request regarding the unavailability of someone to receive the shipment at my address. They kept apologizing for the delay and insisted that shipment would be received in 3 to 5 days! Finally after half an hour of trying to explain why they should not send the shipment, I thought I had convinced the person to ship the order one week later than originally promised. Again at the end of our conversation, the person indicated that they would send a survey regarding the transaction and again I received no email from Dell customer service.

? On September 21, while at the airport, I called the customer support number one last time to confirm the arrangement I had made the night before. After explaining my situation, I was shocked when the person I spoke with assured me that the shipment would be received in 3 to 5 days. Frustrated I asked to speak with a manager; however the person kept insisting that they would try to resolve the issue.
Respectfully I told the person I did want to speak with them and told them that I had very little time and that I needed to speak with a manager as soon as possible. Not sensing the gravity of the situation they told me that they would put me on hold until the manager was available. Fifteen minutes later, while still on hole I hung-up in anger and disgust.

? Sure enough upon my return home there were three delivery attempts by Fedex from Dell. I called customer support on October 4th and finally spoke with a case manager. After explain my situation ? yet again ? the manager was able to track the shipment as having been returned to Dell. After all the aggravation and frustration I had gone through, without hesitation the case manager refunded my purchase price and indicated that the full amount would be credited to my Visa account.

? On October 12th I called customer support ? reluctantly - to enquire about the processing time for my refund. This time the person I spoke with discovered that only a portion of the purchase price had been refunded, which I received the next day.

He indicated that he would have to request another credit for the balance of the amount which would be made in two payments. As of today, I am still awaiting for the final balance to be credited to my account.

To this date (November 1) I still have not received my final refund, despite four other calls to Dell's accounting department. During my last call with them, the agent promised he would call back the next day with an answer. Guess what? I never got a call back, what a surprise!

Dell truly sucks!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Before buying a Dell computer, read this...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Before buying a Dell computer, read this...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You sound like you could be a new HP customer...
by togus / November 1, 2005 7:02 AM PST

When buying my new Dv4000 I bought and canceled a different computer from them and bought and canceled a 3 year warranty package... all were stopped in shipment and the refunds processed accurately and quickly, as a first time HP buyer I was impressed.

Collapse -
HP, maybe
by chafe99 / November 1, 2005 1:46 PM PST

As a matter of fact I'm considering the Pavillion zd8000 notebook. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Collapse -
I like HP but I wouldn't buy a zd8000...
by togus / November 1, 2005 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: HP, maybe

They come with P4 chips, a desktop processor and not a good choice for a notebook (for most people). They run hot, they eat batteries at a prodigious rate and they tend to be in big and heavy notebooks. People get fooled by the GHz rating on P4s that makes them look so much faster than P-Ms... in fact a P-M that's rated at about half the GHz of a P4 will perform at about the same speed in the real world. If you're interested in profiles of the different processor options (written in terms simple enough for even me to understand) go here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=24051

If you like HPs and want a reasonably good machine with multimedia and gaming capacity look at the Dv4000, or wait until the new Dv8000 with the Turion is available.

Collapse -
It's great! I have one!
by pktechgirl / March 1, 2006 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: HP, maybe

Well, like the Subject says, I have one and I love it. The 17"wide screen 2 gigs processor, a gig of ram with of course, the dvd/cd r/w drive, bla, bla, bla. The only bad thing! I recently saw a similar one with a glass looking screen! Much brighter! Dam!

Collapse -
Couldn't agree more
by nino88 / November 1, 2005 6:17 PM PST

I ordered notebooks from HP/Compaq at least 5x. Every single one came earlier than expected. The last one I ordered (customized V2000Z) came 1 week early

Collapse -
Great Company but not Sony!
by pktechgirl / March 1, 2006 11:38 AM PST

I can't afford Sony, which we all know is the best, so I went to HP. I love my laptop though, and the customer service is great.

Collapse -
Where did you get the part about everyone knowing Sony
by togus / March 1, 2006 8:02 PM PST

is the best? I wouldn't agree with that statement at all. Sony has nice displays. They also have very spotty customer service. I'd rate Apple, IBM and Fujistu all as superior builders in comparison to Sony, both in terms of build quality and customer service.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!