General discussion

beep beep beep...

Hello folks! I just have a couple quick questions. I use Win 98 SE and I woud like to learn more about backing up my files and such. Is there a link in here for that? I looked for a while, but I am not very technical, so many of the threads are over my head. I do not have a supplementary backup program, only the seagate backup that comes with said version of Windows. Also, what can cause bad sectors, how bad can they actually get, and can anything be done to reduce these annoyances?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: beep beep beep...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: beep beep beep...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
bad sectors?

Most of the time, these will happen during power outages that all of a sudden shut down your system cold....but just about anything can also cause them. How many do you have, how do you know you have them, and how often are you getting notified of them?

As for backing up your files, use a program such as EZCD creator and create a DATA cd in Creator Classic...then go through the folders that you want to save such as the following items:

FILES TO SAVE BEFORE FORMATTING
I don't normally save my password file and instead have a pre-typed text file from notepad that I list all of the usernames and passwords for each site and program, including registration numbers, etc......then I print it out and also send that file to a floppy disk for safekeeping so I always have two backups for it during a format.

- Collapse -
If that drive is fairly new. You

should go to the mfr's website and download their diagnostic software to run from a floppy. If that reports problem just request an RMA and send the drive back for repair/replacement.

Do you have Smart Drive enabled for the drive in the BIOS???

CNET Forums

Forum Info