General discussion

Been wanred for possible piracy, vista isn't genuine?

Any way to fix this? My Vista Home Premium is an OEM, and just recently it said "You're vista activation key is invalid" Etc etc. I entered my product key on the sticker, and then I got "You must restart your computer in order to advance." Then my start bar and icons were brought up and then I was told that "You may be using a pirated version. Certain features like the Aero color scheme etc etc. will not be usable." I assure you it's OEM, I payed for this two years ago, and I just recently reformatted with no problems. On a side note.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/NightHawkXi/Untitled-1-5.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Been wanred for possible piracy, vista isn't genuine?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Been wanred for possible piracy, vista isn't genuine?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Reactivate?
- Collapse -
It is activated

I must've not made it clear in my fist post. Windows is activated. It's accusing me of having a pirated copy, and therefore rendering Aero useless to me as well as slowing down my computer. It's saying my copy isn't genuine. I guess that's my major gripe.

- Collapse -
Just so you know.
- Collapse -
New problem

I've encountered a new problem. Now when I start up my computer it says "Windows must be reinstalled and reactivated to continue." And I get only a cancel button which takes me back to the log in screen.

- Collapse -
Re: Vista
- Collapse -
Dump Vista

Vista sucks, get Windows 7, I don't work for Microsoft.

- Collapse -
That message is a new one.
- Collapse -
Like Kees said

Like Kees said, you'll need to contact Microsoft's activation center for your country. There have been issues with false positives with WGA, and then there's also Bob's possibility of malware damage. If it's a false positive, Microsoft should be able to sort it out, but if it's malware damage then you're probably screwed until you reinstall.

- Collapse -
Blue screened

So... I tried to boot in safe mode, nada, booted normal, blue screen. So now I'm reformatting.

- Collapse -
Windows Activation

I had a windows XP OEM version that did the same thing, it was from Dell. Microsoft with OEM issues refers youi back to the distributer for these issues. The distributer says use their recovery disks. Sadly if you didnt buy them then what do you do? Here is what I did to make it so microsofts windows doesn't force you to reinstall.

Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\windowss\system32
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\windows\system32\dllcache

Start Task manager - End Task WgaTray.exe

Start Windows Registry editor and delete the folder "WGALOGON" located in the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinlogonNotify.
Delete all references in your registry to WgaTray.exe (repeat search using F3 function key).

Restart your computer, It will work just like a nomral Windows system, Just down't redownload the windows Guine advantage tool as it will Reinstall WGATray and give you another 30 days to buy their product a 2nd time.

- Collapse -
Sadly if you didnt buy them then what do you do?

All the machines I have seen in many years allowed us to create restore media. If we don't and pass up the chance then for much less than a full version we can buy restore media.

After more years and we passed those TWO chances we have made our choice we don't want those and can buy the full OS.

This was OUR CHOICE.
Bob

CNET Forums