Computer Help forum

Been at this for hours can't find right computer

by mic66 / May 20, 2013 6:06 PM PDT

OK. i need some help / advise. i can't find what im looking for does it exist? and if not what is the closest?
I'm looking for one.
LIGHTWEIGHT. i travel a ton. and am a student. so looking for under 3lbs
so anything under 12in screen to 9inch -anything under that I find to hard to work with
2. not a fan of windows 8. not a fan of android. looking for a WINDOWS 7 Operating system
i know NETBOOKS are dead but they seem like a good option.
love HP. hate samsung. no idea about asus and acer but they seem a bit heavy. so i've found a bunch of HP netbooks but they have crap for processors. and 1GB RAM. looking for at least 2GB. and something not so slow for videos a lot of multi-tasking.
4. obvious student budget constraints. max $400
was looking into an IPAD i love my iphone, but its basically an ipad but smaller. i need word/excel/ more options / be able to stream videos/ download/ use proxy websites when im abroad.
5. nothing to delicate like some of those swiveling dells not even really into touch screens. i like durable.
i was looking at the HP Slate 2 Tablet but it has a lot of reviews about being slow (processor)and its just a bit small.
HELP ME PLEASE . i can't search anymore.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Been at this for hours can't find right computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Been at this for hours can't find right computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have a hard time finding what you want
by glb613 / May 20, 2013 10:14 PM PDT

with a budget of $400.00.

Collapse -
It doesn't exist
by Jimmy Greystone / May 20, 2013 11:38 PM PDT

It doesn't exist. At least not at $400. If you at least triple your budget, you MIGHT be able to find something, quadruple and you have probably an even money chance.

Collapse -
Here is a link ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 21, 2013 12:46 PM PDT

to help you out. I am not suggesting that you buy from WalMart, but the link is to show you pretty much what is available with your criteria and you should note that there isn't much champagne listed within that beer budget.

A netbook isn't going to allow the multi-tasking you want nor will it have much of a processor. Most have the Atom and are designed to allow you to browse the internet and send and receive email and play serious games like solitaire and FreeCell and Minesweeper.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?