Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Beating the odds looked impossibe!

For the TN Titans to make the playoffs, the Steelers, the Chiefs and the the 49ers hadd to win yesterday. What would be the odds of all of that happening?

But that's exactly what happened.

But there was one more piece of the puzzle. The Titans had to also win yesterday. But the Patriots beat them.

We started out so badly that even considering making the playoffs was ridiculous, though.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Beating the odds looked impossibe!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Beating the odds looked impossibe!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tears in our beers!

In reply to: Beating the odds looked impossibe!

Hi Angeline!

The odds for my Packers looked like this:

Among the several scenarios that could put the Packers in the playoffs, the most likely involve the New York Giants losing to the Washington Redskins on Dec. 30 and the Packers beating the Bears the next night, plus ONE of the following three pieces of help:

A St. Louis Rams loss to the Minnesota Vikings;
A Carolina Panthers victory over the New Orleans Saints; OR
An Atlanta Falcons victory over the Philadelphia Eagles.

It is still possible for the Packers to qualify for the playoffs if the Giants beat the Redskins, but it would be mathematically unlikely for Green Bay to win the "strength of victory" tiebreaker over New York in that scenario.
- from Packers.com

So of course, the Redskins lost. GRRR.

Well, we CREAMED the Bears! Happy So, while it ends our season, it was a good win for our new team, and leaves us 8-8 when we started out 1-4! Only Brett Favre knows if it was his last game, but it's looking that way.

Cindi

Collapse -
I saw most of that game last night.

In reply to: Tears in our beers!

Frankly, he doesn't look old enough to retire. And his passing was sharp!

But maybe he wants to retire at the top of his game. (I don't know if the Packers are facing the salary cap bit that could cost them some good receivers, linemen, or backs.)

Sniff! Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Football

In reply to: I saw most of that game last night.

When you see the quarterback carrying a soccer ball onto the field, you know
things are probably going to go badly.

Collapse -
He's been QB for the Packers for 15 seasons!

In reply to: I saw most of that game last night.

And at 37 years old, he is getting to be an old man for this game! He looks younger in person though. And taller. Happy

Last season was not a good one for him, and he struggled with the decision on whether to return this year. I'm glad he did, he did a great job. I think as long as it's still fun for him, he should come back!

Actually, my favorite player is William Henderson, their fullback. He's been there 12 seasons...nearly as long as Favre has!

Cindi

Collapse -
Slightly off topic

Texas Tech came back from a 31 point deficit at halftime to beat Minnesota by three points, an NCAA record.

Collapse -
Wow!

In reply to: Slightly off topic

That is the one game I didn't get to see. Wish I had. Locally it was carried on a channel not in my package.

As they say, its not over 'til its over.

I saw a game last night where it looked like the team that was ahead thought they had it in the bag being 8 points up. They had the opponent 4th and 18. They scored and went for 2, and got it to tie, Beat them in overtime.

Texas Tech sure pulled off a "miracle". My hat's off to them!!!!

Will they lose many to graduation?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Texas Tech ...

In reply to: Wow!

I went to the site, but not long enough to check the roster for seniors and so forth. BUT, I did see that the entire game could be watched:

http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/text-m-footbl-body.html

I use to watch their games, mostly when I lived in Lubbock. They have a really flashy offense at times...lots of passing and so forth. And, Coach Leach has an unusual sense of humor, according to my sister, who lives down there. I asked her go to give me an example. She said (and I'm sorry to have to paraphrase...) that during an interview with the opposing coach, he might be asked the usual question, "What do you think about Coach Leach?" He'll give the usual reply like, "He is someone you have to respect as good coach...He knows the game and knows how to really inspire his team, (etc etc). Coach Leach might be asked the same question. Leach: "Well, I think he is a really snappy dresser. He'd be the go to guy if I ever need any advice..."

I wish I could've given you a better blow by blow account, but maybe you get the idea. Happy

BTW, I don't know if you can call it a miricle comeback or not. They just don't know when to quit, sometimes... Happy

Collapse -
Look out for NE in the playoffs, Angeline!

Now that Tom Brady at last knows who his wide receivers are this year...;-)

Oh...and now that you don't need them, could the Colts borrow the Titans' defensive line and linebackers?

Number 3 seed my backside; Indy would have lost Sunday had not Miami had not been so inept in the red zone (5 field goals, 1 TD.) Folks here were happy that Indy *only* gave up 158 years rushing to the Dolphins. Well, it WAS an improvement over the second Jacksonville game...:-( (375 yards rushing for J'ville???)

Peyton Manning now thinks that he has to throw for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns for the Colts to have a chance - and he's not yelling at the offense when he's on the sidelines. Can you say, "angry and frustrated?"

Now comes Kansas City and the league's No. 2 runner, Larry Johnson. Looks like one and done again. I know this: Bill Polian is a good front office man. If he doesn't spend EVERY draft pick this year on the defense, he ought to be fired. Right now, the Colts are the second coming of the Chargers circa 1985; all offense. just like those Chargers, they cannot win in January without being able to occasionally stop the other team.

As for Tennessee, I think things are looking up. The pieces are falling into place nicely; I only hope that Jeff Fisher will be around to reap the rewards when it all comes together.

Collapse -
I'll speak to Jeff...

In reply to: Look out for NE in the playoffs, Angeline!

... about the loan. Happy They are exciting young defensemen.

IMO, what happened to the Colts this year was being plagued with injuries.

Like you said, their defense has not performed to the level of the offense, but they still are winners.

Peyton is a world-class leader. Same as he was at UT. Thus he has been able to get the best out of his offense.

Vince Young is starting to show leadership skills. While I'm at it, I'll mention that Pack-Man did little during the earlier games. Resting on his bonus, I reckon. I don't know if this made a difference, but a retired Titan on his radio show blasted him.

How soon do you guys face the salary cap bit? It broke my heart to see some of our guys go when it happened to us, followed by a losing season.

Right now I have no opinion on who will win the Super Bowl. Maybe the team that stays healthiest.

Saw some fine players while watching the college bowl games. And one coach stood out- the one for Boise.

Our owner won't comment on coaching contracts until after the season. I see no earthly reason why Jeff won't get a very nice one. he has proven his skill at building a winning team.

I'll be cheering for the Colts, Paul. !!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.