PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Be famous. Write the forum STICKY!

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

Yes, you too can be mildly famous.

Here's the deal. You write this forum's top level sticky and I'll make it the Sticky for the forum.

-> There are no rules for the winner here. I'm going to choose which one I see over the next few days and click my sticky button. I know a few may not like such a bold idea but don't despair since I'll leave the stick open for your great TIPs or FAQs!

As moderator I might weed out a bad one or will remove a post by it's owner's request.

It's your forum. We just moderate.

Here's what I'd like to see. The top entry such as "Welcome. Read me first. Tips for PC Hardware here." Or whatever fits. Keep it short and put your great ideas as a reply to that.

Remember to create a new discussion and reply to that with your FAQ.

Other minor rules.

-> Must adhere to the forum policies.
-> Any post promoting web sites is an instant disqualifier.
-> English please.
-> TLA rule. Use a TLA but always define it such as TLA (Three Letter Acronym.)

How to organize your Forum Welcome.

1. Write a Welcome! or Welcome to the PC Hardware Forum. Avoid any items there since we want this to be "timeless." Make the title inviting to read.

2. Reply to the welcome message with Tips. Remember that you can ask a ninja (aka moderator) to remove a tip without killing the entire Welcome message. This way we can update tips without disturbing the welcome or other tips.

3. Be impartial. Keep in mind our forum policies.

Looking forward to reading your sticky,
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Be famous. Write the forum STICKY!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Be famous. Write the forum STICKY!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome to the PC Hardware Forum
by jconner / April 4, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

This is the PC Hardware forum and is meant to address issues, problems and questions regarding the components and devices that collectively constitute a personal computer or "PC". If you look at the biggest part of your personal computer (the box)and have something to ask, inform or comment on that part of your PC, you are in the right forum.

Our focus is the physical bits, power supplies (P/S), motherboards (MOBO), BIOS, central processing unit (CPU), memory, graphics cards, sound cards, hard drives, optical drives etc.

If it has some weight, whirs, spins, lights up, or plugs into something it is generally hardware.

If you are unsure if your question relates to hardware, or operating software (such as Windows, Linux, O/S 10 etc.), or a specialty application software package such as Outlook, Word, Norton etc., then you might wish to go directly to the Computer newbies forum.

You may wish to browse the forum and look at the kinds of things being discussed before you post.

We welcome your questions, comments and opinions as long as they adhere to the forum policies (see the link). We suggest that you review the Forum's frequently asked questions (FAQ - see the link) before posting, as in most cases your questions may have already been addressed and perhaps resolved in this or other forums.

Countless hardware problems and solutions have been; and continue to be discussed within this forum. Please feel free to join in.

Collapse -
Make it shorter and a "new" post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 4:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / April 5, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
I have one suggestion for the sticky. Please ask posters to refer to the forum Note, since most seem to overlook it.
Thanks
Stan

Collapse -
what's a sticky
by shadowlord6343 / June 10, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

Sorry to show my ignorance,but just what is a sticky }:>

Collapse -
Re: sticky
by Kees Bakker / June 10, 2007 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: what's a sticky

A 'sticky' is a post that always stays on top of the list in a bold font. It sticks to the top, so to say. Some forums have, some don't. Only the moderator can make them.

Kees

Collapse -
Slight addition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: sticky
Collapse -
Where are they?
by Dango517 / June 10, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: sticky

I tried to look these up in tips and tricks, no stickies.

Collapse -
Dah
by Dango517 / June 10, 2007 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Where are they?

I see, so thats what that is. I thought a sticky was an update for a thread, a way of adding a note or update to a submitted thread. All clear, no responses needed. I've got it. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
***PLEASE READ FIRST****
by ikjadoon / July 5, 2007 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Dah
Welcome to cNet's PC Hardware Forum.

Just to clarify: this is about PC Hardware, not desktops from OEMs (like Dell, HP, Velocity Micro, etc.) Please keep discussions on topic and polite. This is a family forum so keep your language clean. And remember, YOU are asking for OUR help. Happy

Here you can find information about building your own PC, which hardware to pick, or if this is compatible with that. Pretty much anything about a computer, we know. So feel free and ask any question you want, as long as it is about PC Hardware, Wink

Please provide as much information as you can.

Everything and anything, from make/model to driver revisions. You can find some of this information by typing "dxdiag" without the quotes into the Run command or by browsing to System Information: Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Information. Please don't hesitate to ask where to find more information because it will only get you your answer faster! Grin

Our Moderators are:

R. Proffitt

Enjoy your stay!
Collapse -
And completely ignore that previous post.
by ikjadoon / July 5, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

I thought I was posting a new discussion, sorry!

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Another shot at it:
by ikjadoon / July 6, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
Welcome to cNet's PC Hardware Forum.

Just to clarify: this is about PC Hardware, not desktops from OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer, Velocity Micro, etc. Please keep discussions on topic and polite. This is a family forum so keep your language clean. And remember, YOU are asking for OUR help. Happy

ABOUT THIS STICKY:

If you would like to submit a tip or a FAQ that pertains to this forum and you think it will benefit the community, please reply to THIS POST with the title starting with "TIP:" or "FAQ:".

Remember, this forum is only here for you, so help out and post a tip or FAQ here! Grin

PLEASE READ THE TIPS AND FAQS POSTED BELOW!

Enjoy your stay!

P.S. Please take a moment (really, it just takes a minute or two) to look over the forum policies found here.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!