TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Be careful of Dish Network

by kcfvegas / July 27, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

Dish Network is doing something that is very unethical and I wanted to warn the forum about it. What they are doing is, if you cancel your subscription to Dish and they owe you a credit because of prorating on your bill, THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU WHAT THEY OWE YOU, unless you call them and request it. I had been with Dish for eight years and had been very happy with them. I had always done auto payment with them. I recently canceled my subscription with them and then I noticed that they had billed me for a whole month instead of just a few days of that final month. When I called them up to find out what happened they said I had a credit of $60.00. When I asked why that had not been applied to my credit card, they told me that they don't do that unless I request it. When I asked what they were going to do if I had not called, they told me "nothing". I can only imagine how many people that Dish has simply kept their "credits", since a lot of people don't think about tracking the prorated money that companies owe them. I will be contacting the Department of Consumer Affairs to report this policy of Dish Network.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Be careful of Dish Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Be careful of Dish Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bringing back to the top
by kcfvegas / July 29, 2007 4:22 PM PDT

Just posting this so some more people will see this.

Collapse -
No Refund
by tigerhawk22 / July 30, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

I was a Dish Network dealer for nearly 12 years. Over that time Dish did some things that were over the line and illegal. When they started some of their new promotions a few years ago, Dish started requiring a social security number in order for you to participare in some of their promotions. If you didn't want to give it to them, they would accept the last 4 digits of your social or if you refused to give them any of it, you had to make a payment to them in the amount of $50.00 before they would come and install your system.

Not only is it illegal for them to penalize you for not giving your SSN, it's illegal for them to require you to give it to them. As for them not returning credit card overages, I can believe that since I left them with them owing me more than $2500.00 in commissions, activation fees and residuals that I will never get.

Collapse -
Dish Home Protection Service Plan
by jle4 / July 30, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

Apparently my 18 mth. contract with Dish is up and they are now charging me $5.98 per month to service their equipment. Has anyone had any experience with asking to have these charges waived and/or discontinued. If so, with what result? Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?