Samsung forum

General discussion

BDP2500 -- really dissapointed in Samsung

by jones_anthony / August 21, 2009 3:24 PM PDT

I've owned my Samsung BDP2500 BluRay and LN46A630 LCD TV since December.

From the getgo the BDP2500 the noisiest piece of consumer electronics I've ever owned. The fan/hum noise was, to me, very distracting during quiet passages. I've found other posts online with the same complaint. Not sure if some people are just more sensitive to it or if they have QC issues with the player?

I returned the player to store within first 2 days, exchanged it. The replacement was as noisy plus it wasn't square, would rock 1/32" corner to corner when placed on glass shelf. Third replacement was verified by store staff as having same issue. Got my original player back from them and had to deal with it's noisiness.

I should have returned it and got my money back but I liked the Netflix streaming feature.

I contacted Samsung via the e-mail form on their website asking if it was normal for the background hum to be so intrusive and if they had any suggestions. They told me to call them which I did. The person I spoke to had no idea about the BluRay product and said there was no second tier support. All they would say is that I could UPS it back for service but if it was deemed normal I'd be charged for the diagnosis which left me feeling rather uneasy.

For the next few months it would crash frequently (running latest firmware) - usually steaming Netflix - requiring a hard power cycle.

I finally got so cheesed off with it I decided to get service only to find out that the labor warranty is only 90 days. I contacted them by phone and they said they had no record of our previous correspondence and even if they had, having a documented problem prior to the warranty expiring doesn't make any difference.

I took the time to write them a letter explaining the above and asking for some guidance on the background noise issue. It's been 2 months and I've received absolutely no reply.

This week the player has started being really weird. The display would lock-up, showing it is in pause mode, time counter stopped etc. BluRay remote doesn't work for any BluRay player functions but still controls TV but the TV remote control via the Anynet function could still control the BluRay player via HDMI, skip chapters etc.

If I cycled power to the BluRay player the TV couldn't connect to the BluRay. Sometimes I'd get "check signal cable" on the TV. If I refreshed the HDMI sources it would see the player but still could not connect. At least once removing the HDMI cable and reconnecting it and then forcing a HDMI source refresh worked but now it seems totally dead. With no HDMI or Ethernet cable attached, just power cable, the BDP2500 won't power up.

Is it in some weird standby state that can be recovered or am I looking at paying for it to be repaired. Annoying as - of course - there is a Netflix DVD stuck inside the player Wink

I ran into the Samsung rep once at one of the local box stores. At the time I was considering what TV/BluRay combo to purchase and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. It's too bad their customer support is so poor. I can't believe they didn't even respond to my written letter.

I like the 46" LCD TV I bought at the same time but given my experiences with their support on the BluRay I'm seriously on-the-fence about whether I'd buy another of their products again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BDP2500 -- really dissapointed in Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BDP2500 -- really dissapointed in Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bump
by jones_anthony / August 24, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

Anyone ....

Seems player is kind of alive. If I disconnect the HDMI cable and ask the TV to refresh sources it (obviously) fails to find it. If I reconnect HDMI and refresh the TV sees the "BD Player" connected to HDMI but it cannot connect to it and the BDP2500 won't power on directly using the front switch.

Since the Samsung players have a pityful 90 days labor warranty I'm now out of coverage. Parts is a year. How much is the labor going to be to fix this? Is there a flat rate?

I ask because the background noise is so distracting I'm thinking of getting a different brand. Depressing to have to go buy a whole new player 8 months into ownership. Oh well.

Collapse -
I hear labor runs about $85.00
by SLR99 / September 9, 2009 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: bump

You will probably sink another 100 into your player with shipping and labor. I can only stream netflix and Pandora. That is the players only job now. If you are interested in another player, the Oppo looks good. I have one being shipped at the moment. For $517.00 you can buy and have the unit shipped to you. They are sold on the internet only,which saves you the retail mark up. I read where you would have to buy the Denon $6000.00 machine to better the performance of the Oppo. The Oppo plays almost every disc out their (BR, DVD, SACD, DVDA, HDCD, CD, Kodak CD,etc.) It also has a USB slot on the front for convenience. It gets a 5 star rating every where that I have looked. They are an awesome digital company. I wish they had a unit out sooner before I bought the Samsung. I was really wanting a $1000.00 plus player selling for 1/2. Goodluck.

Collapse -
working again
by jones_anthony / September 10, 2009 7:33 AM PDT

It's started working again.

I called Samsung and they quoted me about that price for labor.

A friend told me he'd had a similar weird issue which turned out to be a bad HDMI cable. I didn't believe this as the player wouldn't turn out when standalone (no HDMI).

I borrowed his cable. Still wouldn't turn on via front switch but the TV was able to power on the BD player via HDMI and now the front power switch on the BD player is working again.

Weird.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.