Samsung forum

General discussion

BDP-1600 Network issues

by ahrenl / March 26, 2010 10:06 PM PDT

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my BDP-1600 connected.

I've tried a few different network cables, and the hub I'm using has a computer hooked up to it that works fine, so I don't think it is a hardware issue outside of the Samsung unit itself.

When I test the unit in the setup menu, it passes the 1st three tests, but fails the last test. I've noticed that with the address setting set to auto the default gateway is incorrect (192.168.0.1). When I manually set it to the correct gateway IP, and give it a valid IP address within the range allowed on my router, it fails the network test at test #2.

On my router I've tried turning off the firewall, and adding the IP address that is displayed when the BDP-1600 is on auto address.

My router is a Verizon Actiontec MI424, and I have a FIOS connection.

Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BDP-1600 Network issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BDP-1600 Network issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting there.
by ahrenl / March 27, 2010 1:21 AM PDT

Ok. I was able to get it to pass the tests by putting the gateway IP into the DNS server IP spaces. This also allows me to connect to Pandora and Netflix.

I STILL cannot connect to Blockbuster, YouTube, AND I can't update my firmware over the network. Current firmware is 2.05. Not overly convinced upgraded to 2.08 will do anything for me, after reading the change log.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Getting there.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 27, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting there.

ahrenl,

What messages are you getting (errors?) when you attempt to get to YouTube or BlockBuster?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Networks
by ahrenl / March 27, 2010 11:40 PM PDT

YouTube: "Failed to authenticate YouTube Server."

Blockbuster: "We're sorry we cannot connect to the network. Please try again later."

I confirmed that I can still connect to Pandora after trying both of these this morning.

The network firmware upgrade appears to be working. So I told it to start downloading the 2.08 firmware. It's going REALLY slow however. It took about 10secs on my computer. Looks like it's taking ~10sec per 1% on the BDP.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Failed to update through network.
by ahrenl / March 28, 2010 12:21 AM PDT

So it failed to update through the network.

Went ahead and burned a CD and updated to 2.08.

Surprisingly Youtube is now working. Go figure.

Collapse -
Failed to update through network.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 28, 2010 7:06 PM PDT

ahrenl,

I ran a few tests with the BD-P3600 over the weekend myself, and didn't have a problem connecting to Pandora or Youtube. I agree that the network download was pretty slow, and about what you experienced, but I was able to download the full update via just the network. It could be thousands of units downloading from the servers over the weekend. I'll test it again in a week or two when server traffic is less in demand.

In some cases, you may need a thumbdrive to store content, like updates, when the unit is downloading. That may have been the reason for the failed download.

I'm glad you got it working, though. Keep me posted if something changes.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!