Samsung forum

General discussion

BDP 1500 Firmware "Upgrade?"

by Stil_ / April 21, 2009 6:45 AM PDT

I updated the firmware to my BDP1500 today to version 090416_01_BDP1500_XAA because it would not play the Blue Ray version of "Predator". Which is the first Blue Ray movie it would not play. I picked up the 10th anniversary of "The Matrix" last week and before the firmware "upgrade" it played "The Matrix" among the rest fine.

So after using the CD method of doing a firmware "upgrade"(because the USB method did not recognize the USB stick), now the unit won't play any Blue Ray disks at all. It will play DVDs however. Also after the "upgrade" setup menu's "Video" and "Music" are now non existent. When I try to select them by pressing the "right arrow" button, it displays an error message stating "No Program is found". Should I return this expensive "DVD only" player for a refund before my time is up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BDP 1500 Firmware "Upgrade?"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BDP 1500 Firmware "Upgrade?"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ditto
by neomaycry / April 21, 2009 7:33 AM PDT

I upgraded my BD-P1500 to version 2.4 as well. The firmware has caused my regular DVDs to stop reading. The player reads "No Disc," no matter what I do. Blu-Ray discs continue to play fine, but I cannot get DVDs to work. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Collapse -
Ditto
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 21, 2009 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Ditto

neomaycry,

The sympotoms here are a little different than the original poster's. Did you also update using the CD?

--HDTech

Collapse -
BDP 1500 Firmware "Upgrade?"
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 21, 2009 10:54 AM PDT

Stil_,

My recommendation is to do what makes you happiest. Outside of attempting another firmware, the unit may have to go in for service. It might be easier to exchange or replace the unit from the retailer if you're still winthin the return policy.

I've seen a few posts like this on the site.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No dvd problems after upgrade here
by docdevice / April 21, 2009 11:37 AM PDT

I've upgraded to this firmware and don't have any problems reading dvds, FYI.

As far as blu-ray compatibility, I feel your pain. I've had some weird things happen to me, like not being able to select in the menu of the dark city blu-ray. But a restart of the player "fixed" it. I don't know, Blu-Ray is still an emerging format. I blame the use of Java Grin

Collapse -
What to do
by Stil_ / April 22, 2009 12:05 PM PDT

Ok, lets say I do trade this one in for another BDP-1500, and everything works fine except the Blue Ray disk of "Predator". I'm still back at ground zero having purchased a movie that just won't play on this player.

What could have happened in the firmware upgrade that broke the physical components? Or did the firmware upgrade just totally corrupt the software that controls the optic hardware? Is the firmware currently out just a glorified BETA? It seems there is a lot of people posting here that have had the same or similar problems, is there a firmware update coming out anytime soon that would correct this issue?

Collapse -
What to do
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 23, 2009 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: What to do

Stil_,

There are a couple of things that come into play here, so hopefully you'll find this information useful to make the best decision for you.

Some Blu-Ray discs come with Java-coding that the players don't have. As a result, when we find these, we create a patch to fix those issues. Some newer movies can have a lag-time from when the movie is released to the time we create a patch so that it has the proper coding.

Assuming that this is the case, even a new player may not play the movie until the update is available. I've put in a request late last evening to see if Predator Blu-Ray is a known issue, and will hopefully have an answer tomorrow.

That said, during firmware updates, as with loading any software upgrade, things can go wrong. It's not too often they do, but when they do, we consider them serious issues because they're affecting you. In those cases, the unit has to be sent in for repair if it can't be returned to the retail store, and those issues are covered under warranty.

Let me know if I can assist further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
none
by Stil_ / April 24, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: What to do

Yes they can go wrong, however in the 20 years I've come across the job of updating firmware only once did it ever go bad and that was due to a power outage. Worst case scenario was I had to buy a new chip(BIOS) for the mainboard, pop out the bad one and put in the new one. I've done firmware changes to audio devices, video devices, mainboards, and optical drives.

Java decoding is not a big issue, like calculating a worldwide condition after a nuclear holocaust. THAT would be a lot of computing and translating. Java script is a very lightweight framework. Translators can easily be adapted, especially when the units have multiple dedicated processors.

Maybe Sony should have laid down a standard of disk code before they were so anxious to win the "format war" with HD-DVD. That said...

This is a first, when the firmware actually breaks the function of the optical disk drive. That's just bad coding from the manufacturer.

It remains to be seen if it's purposefully done or if it's an actual mistake. Since no downgrades are offered to undo the bad firmware "upgrade!?" and the reports of so many people having problems with the BDP-1500, it leaves in question the motive of the manufacturing corporation. As we all know these days, greed is what motivates corporations, and money is quickly becoming god in this world.

I might not be able to return this player, but less than 2 months of sitting on a shelf and it breaks, points out that its a "lemon", either by design or by defect. I will definitely be more hesitant if at all, to buy another Samsung product.

Collapse -
Don't blame Samsung
by docdevice / April 25, 2009 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: none

You're confusing Javascript with Java. They're not the same thing. Javascript is what browsers on the internet run, a dynamic scripting language that is lightweight. Blu Ray players use BD-J, which is a flavor of Java, a Static language used in enterprise computing. Java (and it's variants) would probably not be described by anyone as "light-weight".

However, i'm not discounting the fact that you're having issues. You only have to do a google search to see that many, many Blu-ray players have had issues playing discs, and it is an industry wide issue. I personally think this Samsung player, which is already out of date I might add, is pretty good considering. I'm happy to get firmware updates, and I'm happy they enabled "Profile 2.0" for us. That's better than alot of older BD players got.

You can't really blame Samsung for a design schema that was Sonys. (ie, force manufacturers to put firmware updates out for compatibility all the time)

I've had much better experiences with Samsung products in general than with Sony recently, and this player is no exception. Consider the fact you might just be unlucky. Products have some failure rate, and you might be in that small percentage.

I've been using this firmware for a week with no issues with any of my BD or DVDs, FWIW.

Collapse -
Confused?
by Stil_ / April 26, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't blame Samsung

Confusing Java with Java script? No. A heavier, fully featured language is just not needed to make simple interactive menu's. What's on the disk's is effectively a glorified web site, only easier to write because the links will never change. Java would be needed for making something along the lines of Solaris. Either case decoding Java or Java script is NOT an issue for a unit that has dual processors.

You can learn a bit more about Solaris here...
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/
Solaris a fully featured operating system, compiled in Java, by the company that made Java.

The company "id software" is using Java script to launch a full C language compiled video game from a web site, called "Quake live"

You can learn more about Quake Live here...
http://www.quakelive.com/

If your naive about corporate policy's, a majority of them use a tactic (usually the bean counters come up with the plan of implementation) called "Planned Obsolescence".

Collapse -
Oh Boy.
by docdevice / April 27, 2009 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Solaris is NOT written in Java, it's written in a mix of C/C++ most likely. Java is way too slow for something as heavy duty as an OS.

And Java is used on BluRay, not Javascript. Trust me, I should know, I'm a programmer.

Anyway, good luck with your issues, this is my last post on the subject.

Collapse -
Bummer
by Stil_ / April 27, 2009 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh Boy.

Well I don't consider my self a 'programmer' but I do create web sites, and build computers, however you want to pigeon hole that profession.

Just to clear up any spread of mis-information, Solaris is a fully featured operating system(like Windows for those that don't know what an o/s is) made by Sun Microsystems. They offer a plethora of free open source programs for download. The operating system is FULLY compiled in Java, the programming language that Sun Microsystems developed.

At one time in the late 90's Microsoft actually tried to not pay for the use of java in the Windows 98 operating system, and attempted to create a language of their own called J++, which failed.

Another very popular program that Sun develops is OpenOffice, a fully featured suit of programs similar to Microsoft Office. One who does not want to pay the ridiculous price for MS office can download and use OpenOffice for free.

As far as my BD player goes its in for repair, and I'm going to use my "Lemon" product argument (6 weeks on a shelf and it broke itself), and trade it for an LG. There's no horror stories plastered across the internet for the model I'm trading up for. Sorry Samsung, swing and a miss.

Collapse -
Bummer
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 28, 2009 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Bummer

Stil_,

I wish the best in your exchange. We strive to meet expectations, and in this case, it didn't work out, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

If the coding never changed, your point would have merit. The issue at hand is that these codes do change, and it's at the hand of the studios. We can't respond until we hear that a certain title won't work. Then we have to investigate it, and we're dedicated to make the player work.

In all fairness, I agree that a standard should have been set for all Blu-Ray players to follow. Samsung also was part of the Blu-Ray Group, as was the manufacturer you previously mentioned, as well as others not mentioned here. The studios, however, operate outside of that to add features, menu options and the like. All Blu-Ray player manufacturers deal with these changes to some extent. I do believe in the near future we will see those standards ironed out, but until then, we are committed to updating when it's necessary - which is when the customer discovers that a new release doesn't work, or any number of other issues that can arise, do arise.

Again, I wish you the best and hope we can earn your business in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung bdp-1500
by depotforman / October 20, 2009 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Bummer

Hey Bummer and all you others!
No disrespect to anyone,but you guys from the comments that are posted sound very into whatever it is that you profession may be.
My problem is what I consider to be a very simple one, upgrading firmware. My issue is Magnolia films [Mutant Cronicles], upgraded the firmware and this does not allow me the movie version,previews and no main menu.
Ihanks guys Rodney.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?