General discussion

BD570 has trouble playing certain Blu-ray disc

I have had a LG BD570 for several months and it will freeze during play on certain blu-ray discs. DVDs have not been a problem. For instance, I bought "Shoot 'Em Up" and during the play the screen will freeze in several instances of the movie. The current work-around is to restart the movie and fast-forward through the scene. The latest problem is different. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" would not load. After all the commercials, the movie will start loading and never stop (the menu is never reached). It plays fine on my PC.

The discs are clean. The player has the latest firmware update. My player issues must not be too widespread since I can't find any similar issues. I can't believe that Blu-ray is so unforgiving to Blu-ray discs.

Does anyone know of similar problems? And, if so, how do I fix it? I sent an email to LG customer service but never received a reply.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: BD570 has trouble playing certain Blu-ray disc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BD570 has trouble playing certain Blu-ray disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Two other examples

I have watched "Harry Brown" and "Repo Men" on Blu-ray. Both discs would freeze momentarily then jump several chapters. It happens in the same spots each time though I haven't tried re-inserting the disc and replaying to see if the time location changes. Both discs appear clean. Just a side note, I did not watch these movies back-to-back; I watch another movie "Beerfest" with no problems.

- Collapse -
I think I see the issue.

Since it didn't lock up and worked, no one is likely to call this a flaw. It's like many Windows PCs that don't run very fast.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hopeless for now....

Basically, your replay tells me Blu-Ray format is still buggy and not ready for prime-time. (Sorry if I'm slow on realizing this if that statement is already widespread.) Either that or I just have bad luck with LG products. I previously had a LG BD300(?) which shortly refused to recognize any DVDs; I scratched it off as a fluke and upgraded to the BD570.

My player doesn't have long to live, I suspect. Watching a movie with my family and having to go through a dozen freeze, skip, rewind, fast-forward, and play, can be incredibly annoying.

Thanks for trying to help, R. Proffitt. I don't want my frustration with this Blu-ray player to sound like it is directed at you.

- Collapse -
Just sharing.

Reading all this about that here... and trying a few units had me get the PS3 for playing BluRay. I winced at the price but it does play BR media very well.

Given it's mother company I think we know why.
Bob

- Collapse -
Possibly overheating?

My family was watching "Avatar" last night. The first two hours went without any issues. The last part of the movie started freezing then, after a few second pause, would continue. When the movie continued, the video / audio would sometimes be out-of-sync.

Then my mother asked..."Is it overheating?" Doh! The Blu-ray player is sitting on top of my DVR. Currently, there is no other place to move the player. So, I am going to either make a shelf to add space between the two components, or try a laptop cooling pad. After about a week, I post whether overheating was the problem.

I like the cooling pad idea, but I have concerns about static electricity generated by the plastic fans. It is fine for laptops; it's probably fine for a blu-ray player.

- Collapse -
That's a first.

I have never heard of such a concern but as I worked in labs with static controls the fix is all too easy IF you believe it's an issue (I don't.) Here's the fix. Take some metal mesh (patio screen spacing should do fine) and connect GROUND to that mesh and have the air flow through the grounded mesh.

Sorry that it seems technical but you accidentally veered into an area I have worked in for decades.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info