Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-UP5000

by dec2955 / October 25, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Any word of a update to firmware for this player so that I can play recent Blu-Ray disc's?

Also any reason why this machine could not be updated to support the NETFLIX videos?

--David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-UP5000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-UP5000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BDP-1500
by palavering / October 25, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: BD-UP5000

I have the same question regarding Netflix on the BDP-1500.

Collapse -
Help me out - this is a new one...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 25, 2008 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: BDP-1500

I haven't heard this issue yet.

Are you saying that DVD's Or Blu-Ray discs you rent from Netflix aren't able to play on the BD-UP5000 and BD-P1500? Or are we talking about streaming movies from Netflix in our recently announced partnership?

--HDTech

Collapse -
""..we talking about streaming movies from Netflix..""
by dec2955 / October 25, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

""..we talking about streaming movies from Netflix..""

As this player has built-in memory... Internet connection..

But really I would like an update to the firmware to allow playing of some of the newer MGM/FOX(007)/Paramount BluRay releases and some of the third party HD-DVD discs like "Clerks II" also 'Galaxina' from "BCI" where the menu's do not work and the color is off... plays correctly in my Toshiba HD-DVD A20!!

Collapse -
Firmware update status?
by tyler gee / October 26, 2008 6:12 AM PDT

I have heard that the firmware 1.3 update (which I have installed) for this player that updates it to BD Profile 1.1 is the LAST UPDATE that can be done to this player due to the relativly small internal memory and that an upgrade to BD Profile 1.2 or BD Profile 2.0 is never going to happen.
I now have a large collection of BD movies including many older releases that will not work with this player and I cannot return them to the seller because the packages have been opened. For this reason I have stopped buying BD movies regardless of release date because I cannot afford to buy anymore "Firmware Update Required" movies.

Can you confirm that BD Profile 1.1 is as far as this player will ever be updated? I do not have extra funds to simply buy another newer player, so it looks like this will be the LAST Samsung product I will ever risk my limited budget on.

Collapse -
Profiles
by dec2955 / October 26, 2008 9:06 AM PDT

I can understand 'Samsung" not bringing BD-Profile 2.X to the BD-UP5000
But they can not refuse to update the current firmware to be able to play back current (and future released) disc's as a BD-Profile 1.X Bonus View payback system.... as many companies are still releasing ''new'' BD-Profile 1.x Bonus View players as of last month 'Best Buys' house brand "Insignia", Memorex & Magnavox to name three.
From what I have read the BD-UP5000 has 1gb of memory.. but it is split 512mb per HD-DVD and 512mb for BD, so as many have suggested there should be some way to activy assign memory as required for the disc being played, yes this would cause stored info to have to be re-downloaded each time a Internet active disc was placed into the player..

--David

[Side note: my BD-UP5000 is dieing and I have had to write the 'office of the president' of Samsung America {and other parties} to get the warranty issues researched and hopefully settled, due to what could be classified as false advertising by both the reseller and Samsungs own web site.""Register now and you'll receive an extra three (3) months warranty on the product"" 'http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do']

Collapse -
Firmware 1.4
by dec2955 / November 8, 2008 12:36 AM PST

Samsung has released firmware version 1.4 for this BD-UP5000

While from what I have read it has fixed a number of disc playback errors of ""SOME"" newer BluRay disc's it does not seem to fix older HD-DVD [Clerks II] & most all Universal disc's slow menu issues [Both BluRay and HD-DVD].

Side Note: I have written (ground mail) the Samsung American Corp Offices in NJ, three times with no reply and the online and phone customer support tell me they can not assist with the warranty coverage date descriptionary.

Collapse -
Profile 1.1
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 8, 2008 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware 1.4

Profile 1.1 will be the last update for the BD-UP5000.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix discs die about an hour in....
by ies_BDguy / September 12, 2009 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Profile 1.1

I can confirm this also, "12 Rounds", "John Adams", "Braveheart",
and "Gladiator" all stop playing some way into the movie. I even
thought it heat related, and moved and put a fan on the machine, but
my samsung bd-up5000 is now failing on every movie I try that's come
out in the last couple months. About ready to buy a playstation, at least
they (Sony) have motivation to updayte bios. I am just pissed at Samsung,
after being a customer for MANY consumer electronics
(my HLN507W I love!) I got stiffed on this one. Shame on Samsung.

Collapse -
clarified
by ies_BDguy / September 12, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

forgot to mention, running 1.4 bios and I'm referring to Netflix discs that don't work.

Collapse -
Samsung BD UP5000 Version 1.5 Out !
by DanOsmena / May 1, 2010 7:47 AM PDT

Yaay !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.