General discussion

BD-P4600 bricks itself

I was watching an mkv file of a saved TV show, missed part and tried to rewind it back a little; the screen froze, and nothing changed it. Finally unplugged the unit, removed the USB drive, and rebooted to find the (apparently common) blue bubble screen and the "LOAD" message, nothing else works. The FF reset does nothing, I stuck in a disc to see if that would do anything, and it went in and wouldn't come back out. Finally got it to eject, but I still have just a blue bubble screen and "Load".

To top it off, I went to the Samsung site figuring this pricey player had a year warranty, and found out it's parts only. I've had this thing about 9 months, and while I thought I was buying the best, it has turned out to be the worst excuse for a player ever. Slow to load DVD's that load instantly in anything else, often freezes on the FBI screen (we insert a disc and automatically hold our breath, hoping). The fact that if you're playing Divx etc. it will go to sleep and lose your spot, with no possible way to avoid it, has always bothered me, and I wish I'd returned it after buying. But now this, from something as simple as trying to back up a little on a file that's playing off the USB drive?

I suppose I should call Samsung and at least give them the chance to make it good, but right now I'm still mad at seeing that 'out of warranty' line on their website for a $300 player that's had very little use and is less than a year old. I've had $20 DVD players that outlasted this by double...no, I've never had a $20 player that DIDN'T last at least twice as long as this has.

I put a USB drive in with the firmware in hopes it would reload it, but no luck. Any ideas welcome...right now taking a sledgehammer to it sounds pretty good, but I suppose I should at least hope Samsung will do something to keep a customer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: BD-P4600 bricks itself
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BD-P4600 bricks itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
BD-P4600 bricks itself

sierrahiker-2009,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your player.

With the tray empty, try powering the unit on and holding down the STOP button for 10 seconds to see if it resets.

If not, it may require service. But many times, unplugging the unit and then trying the STOP reset may help alleviate the issue. If not, see if you can call 800-SAMSUNG and work with the customer service center to see if they'll help. You can also register online to get an additional 3 months warranty (It may help if you do that and mention that you did that on the phone) and see if you can get your unit repaired.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/account/regist

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Sent it in...

Thanks for the reply. I had no luck with the reset, and did call customer service. Even with the 3-month extension, it would have just missed, since the labor is only 90 days. I think I actually did register it when I got it, being so pricey and wanting to get notified of any bugfixes. Customer Service was reasonably helpful, but it still will cost $50 if I want it fixed. They did send me a prepaid shipping label, so I went ahead and sent it in, with a note that I didn't want it back unless it worked right (since it never really has). I explained how it wanders around for a minute or two after we insert a DVD, before anything appears, and often locks up before it ever gets to the menu, and said if it still does that, I don't want it back. In retrospect, I should have returned it to the store after finding out how persnickety it was, and other inconveniences like not saving your spot when playing a movie file. I thought for sure they'd fix that stuff with firmware updates, but it hasn't happened so far. Still, for the $50, I couldn't even have gotten a replacement BD player, so if it's fixed like they said, we'll use it for discs and Netflix/Pandora, and save the media playback for the WD Media player I just ordered. The folks at Samsung should use one of these players and see what theirs SHOULD do...save your place, go forward or backward, easy reliable network access, all that nice stuff 8^).

Thanks again, I do appreciate the suggestion.

CNET Forums

Forum Info