Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 pc sharing in auto mode: found problem with Mac

by giovannibajo / October 31, 2009 10:14 PM PDT

Hello,

I'm new on this forum. I'm a proud owner of BD-P3600, but PC-sharing in auto mode never worked for me, especially when using Mac or Linux boxes to share files.

Since I'm a computer programmer, I analyzed the problem through packet inspection and I found out why it does not work.

Tech talk ahead:

* Problem: sometimes auto mode cannot find any server in the network. Reason: BD-P3600 only talks to a LANMAN master browser, but does not trigger a new browser election. Workaround: on your Linux/Mac box, add these lines to smb.conf:
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

* Problem: after having found a server in the network, BD-P3600 is unable to display the share folder list. Reason: BD-P3600 sends an invalid (malformed) NetShareEnum samba request. Windows is lenient and still reply. Samba on Linux/MacOSX is more picky and does not answer. Workaround: none found. I recompiled my own patched samba, but the bug should really be fixed in the BD-P3600 firmware.

Since this forum is followed by Samsung representatives, I'm more than happy to share my findings with the firmware programming team so to have them fixed. I would appreciate if I could get in touch with a Samsung programmer responsible for PC sharing.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 pc sharing in auto mode: found problem with Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 pc sharing in auto mode: found problem with Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P3600 pc sharing in auto mode: found problem with Mac
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2009 8:48 AM PST

giovannibajo,

Thanks for the post.

At this time, Apple/Linux is not supported with Samsung televisions. The PC Share Manager is designed to work with Windows XP, Vista, and of course, Windows 7. The fact that it doesn't work with Apple/Linux isn't a point of it being "broken" - necessitating a fix, but that they aren't supported.

On the forum, I'm thrilled when people discover and post workaround options. The information is valuable to those looking for a solution. I'll be happy to send information you provide up for consideration, but I don't have any contacts in which I can put you in touch with, unfortunately.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung: BD-P3600 pc sharing in auto mode: found problem wi
by donaehl1 / November 4, 2009 7:14 AM PST

HDTech,

Please do everything possible to take advantage of giovannibajo's offer to assist Samsung to "fix" the BD-P3600 firmware.

Samsung may consider it to be fine as is, but it's paying customers do not. Networking standards are established for a reason, and if the BD-P3600 isn't following them, it should be fixed, regardless of any marketing decisions not to.

I was very pleased with my purchase of a BD-P3600, especially because Samsung showed they were willing to add new features to it that were not origianlly advertised. When I bought it, it could not play Youtube or Blockbuster videos, but the firware was quickly improved to include it.

I suggest and urge you to do the same with your streaming support and follow the protocol guidelines so they work with all compatible devices (be it Windows, Mac OS or Linux).

giovannibajo seems to have done you a HUGE favor by troubleshooting and identifying the flaw in your implementation that is preventing it from supporting other platforms. Regardless of the reasons for Samsung's disclaimer for supporting non-Microsoft brands, it only makes sense to continue improving your device to be more inclusive. Especially since firmare development appears to be ongoing and a solution may be very simple.

So here's big applause for giovannibajo, and I hope to applaud Samsung again as well once they've "fixed" the Auto streaming functionality that the vast majority of it's paying customers cannot seem to make work (even from Windows OS's).

daehl

with the B

you
Thanks for the post.

At this time, Apple/Linux is not supported with Samsung televisions. The PC Share Manager is designed to work with Windows XP, Vista, and of course, Windows 7. The fact that it doesn't work with Apple/Linux isn't a point of it being "broken" - necessitating a fix, but that they aren't supported.

On the forum, I'm thrilled when people discover and post workaround options. The information is valuable to those looking for a solution. I'll be happy to send information you provide up for consideration, but I don't have any contacts in which I can put you in touch with, unfortunately.

--HDTech

HDTech

Collapse -
Oops
by donaehl1 / November 4, 2009 7:23 AM PST

Sorry, I meant to delete all that text after my signature above, but it appears that message editing is not allowed in this forum.

Collapse -
Samsung ignores us
by giovannibajo / November 4, 2009 7:48 AM PST

Samsung should also hire more experienced Linux programmers.

BD-P3600 runs Linux (as written in the manual), and if you simply type "smbtree" in Linux, you will see all the computers in the network, each one with a complete list of all the shares. The fact that BD-P3600's auto mode is flaky means that that Samsung programmers have wasted a lot of time rewriting an incomplete and bugged implementation of "smbtree", while they could just have used that existing tool, and deploy a fully-working firmware.

Anyway, I would be more than happy helping out them with whatever code they already have, but it looks like Samsung is not interested in Linux and Mac users.

Collapse -
Shocked by Samsung's reply
by intaut / January 18, 2010 2:33 PM PST

HDTech-
Is the response to Giovannibajo an official response from Samsung's development team?

He did all of the work necessary to identify and document a major technical flaw in the product's Samba implementation.

The proper response would be to thank Giaovannibajo and tell the user community when we can expect a firmware that incorporates a fix.

I should not have to recompile Samba to ignore Samsung's buggy code.

Collapse -
Fix incorporated in Samba 3.5.0
by giovannibajo / January 18, 2010 10:13 PM PST

Samsung HQ has a strong relationship with Microsoft, I am never shocked when they ignore Mac or Linux users.

BTW, the good news is that my fix made it to Samba 3.5.0 which will be released quite soon. As soon as it lands to your Mac/Linux platform, automatic network discovery will work with Samsung BD-P3600.

(But you still need to sort out the master domain controller, since BD-P3600 only sees the master controller).

Collapse -
RE: Fix incorporated in Samba 3.5.0
by daehl / January 19, 2010 1:48 AM PST

Thanks, Giovannibajo!

I'll keep a lookout for the update and report back. Really looking forward to my Samsung BD-P3600 working properly. And I must say, as much as I've enjoyed the device since I bought it, I am very disappointed at Samsung's online support presence here and seeming total lack of willingness to accept feedback when improving their product. That's really too bad for us as customers and it will definitely make me think twice next time I decide to purchase a device made by Samsung. I've definitely recounted this story to a lot of friends and co-workers who have been considering purchasing bluray players. I've seen quite a lot of full page ads for this player in various publications, and even though they don't emphasize their PC streaming capability very much, but it's one of the main reasons why I bought it. It seemed like they really had their act together, but maybe not. Of course, it could also be that the Samsung USA guys have no pull whatsoever with regard to product support/implementation. They could be total fronts for marketing and maybe it's the overseas team that calls all the shots.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?