Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 freezing.

by tushar mandrekar / November 1, 2009 12:36 PM PST

Bought BD-P3600 in the summer. It is starting to freeze. I've had issues before where it froze if I played multiple movies through NetFlix without cycling it off and on. Recently (since upgrade to 2.04) it has started freezing on a couple titles, one I have owned and kept well, watched couple times already: (Ratatoullie) and other is a Netflix Blu Ray (Gladiator). Gladiator froze twice. I also noticed on Gladiator and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen it seemed during the ads that the sound was cutting out and on. Did not happen during the movie, however.

Please advise. I tried to accept the last upgrade and my reciever froze up after fully downloading (the screen saver froze for about 30 minutes, not responding to any keys).

I will call Samsung service phone #, but any input on cause or corrective would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 freezing.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 freezing.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P3600 freezing.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 1, 2009 2:46 PM PST
In reply to: BD-P3600 freezing.

tushar mandrekar,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

In some cases, particularly with rental movies, even smaller scratches can have a more profound effect on Blu-Ray discs than DVD discs due to the difference in size.

As far as the unit freezing up after the update, you might try to download and install the CD or thumbdrive version of the firmware. If that doesn't work, there may be something physically wrong with the system, in which case, having it repaired may be the best option.

I hope we can find a solution that meets your needs. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
The issue is not the disk, it is the player.
by tushar mandrekar / November 2, 2009 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: BD-P3600 freezing.

In some cases, particularly with rental movies, even smaller scratches can have a more profound effect on Blu-Ray discs than DVD discs due to the difference in size.

Both disks optical surfaces are pristine. The location in the film where the disk freezes varies different times I restart the movie or rewind and the play (though they are toward the end of the film in all 3 cases)-- it doesn't have problem at same spots, freezes elsewhere. The problem is the player. The Ratatouille disk has been played only twice (is owned by me)-- both times in this player and was brand new when purchsed. I have put it in and taken it out extremely carefully.

I will try the firmware upgrade by CD and contact Samsung help line.

Please advise on the freezing disk play. I have an extended warranty with Best Buy so if there is a defect in the player I would like to identify it and get it dealt with appropriately.

Collapse -
The issue is not the disk, it is the player.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2009 4:36 PM PST

tushar mandrekar,

I see what you mean about the disc. It does sound like there is an issue with your player if it won't play those discs. If lots of people were having the issue with one disc, that might be the issue. But when some discs just don't play on a player, it's usually an issue where the player has to be repaired.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?