Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 Firmware Update Renders Unit Useless

by mike_ryan / February 21, 2010 5:18 AM PST

When I turned on the unit yesterday it notified me that there was an firmware update. Have done a few in the past.
Let the unit download and install.
At the end of the upgrade the unit shut itself off.
Now when I turn it on all I can do is open and close the disk tray.
When I put a disk in Blu-Ray or normal DVD, the movie loads to the opening menu and stops there. Not even the buttons on the top will let you start the movie.
A button to surf YouTube does not even work.
Have powered it off.
Wondering if it is a corrupt firmware update, looking for lastest firmware that I can download and try to reapply via CD.
This is my third unit since January, I thought I had a good unit this time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 Firmware Update Renders Unit Useless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 Firmware Update Renders Unit Useless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P3600 Firmware Update Renders Unit Useless
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2010 3:38 PM PST

mike_ryan,

I would try reloading it using the CD method.

First, empty the tray, turn on the unit and hold down the FF>> button until the unit resets itself. If you're able to then load the CD version of the firmware update and re-install, you may have better results.

If not, then the unit may need service.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Firmware makes BR Disks non playable
by Mrando / February 27, 2010 9:05 PM PST

Unlike Mike_Ryan, my 3600 will do everything else, but does not play BluRay any longer after what appeared to be a seamless download of Firmware 2.05 wirelessly from the Samsung website. Tried discs that played without a hitch before, but to no avail. DVD's play just fine.

I tried to reinstall 2.05 but I used the USB port download from the Samsung website. The player said it cannot link to website to check for firmware (since the USB port is taken by the memory stick and the wireless adapter is removed). No other option like using cd or memory stick is offered.

If I use the CD method, how will I be able to reinstall the firmware as is suggested? Will the player recognize the cd as long as the wireless adapter is in place. Or, if I have the wireless adapter back in place, will the player just continue to say the latest firmware is installed just like it did when I tried to wirelessly download a 2nd time to override the first installation of 2.05 before trying the USB route?
Thank you,

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Firmware Upgrade makes BR discs not work
by M. Desnoyers / June 16, 2010 11:07 AM PDT

I upgraded our BD-P3600 to rev level 2.07 to watch Avatar. The player accepted firmware and was able to watch movie several times over two days. Each succesive time the player took longer to load a BR movie and now will not play any BR disc. Works OK on standard DVD. Tried upgrading to 2.09 and same thing.

Customer service is NO help at all and only prepared to help if I can prove the unit is still under warranty. WTH - It was working fine and not after 2 days doesn't work at all with BR

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?