Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 Error: "This Disc can not be played."

by deanhoppe / January 2, 2010 6:59 AM PST

Recently my BD-P3600 blu ray player stopped playing blu ray discs; however, it does play DVD and music CDs. When playing any blu ray disc, I receive the error "This Disc can not be played." and then it ejects the disc. Unfortunately, I can't tie it to a specific firmware update. I am running the most current firmware for the unit (BEv2.05_091015_XAA) and have even tried reapplying it via USB. Resetting the unit by holding down the fast forward button didn't help. All blu ray discs do work fine in my BD-2550.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestings?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 Error: "This Disc can not be played."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 Error: "This Disc can not be played."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 12:39 PM PST

deanhoppe,

Unfortunately, you've done all the troubleshooting I'd have at my disposal. It looks like the unit may have to be serviced.

I know some people suggest downgrading the firmware on the forums, but I can't officially recommend doing that. If it's not working with v.2.05, to me that would indicate something is still wrong. I would have it serviced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by deanhoppe / January 2, 2010 1:02 PM PST

Thanks for responding to my post.

I actually thought about downgrading the firmware, but I wasn't able to locate older versions. I know you can't recommend it, but do you know where I can locate it? It's my last hope before shelling out money to fix it.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 1:38 PM PST
Collapse -
by deanhoppe / January 7, 2010 12:06 PM PST

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately, the unit will still not play blu ray discs, just as you suspected. It looks like it's time to send it in for repair.

Any idea of what could be wrong? Does this player have 2 different lasers, one for blu ray and one for DVDs/CDs?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2010 10:34 AM PST

deanhoppe,

Without looking at it, it's difficult to determine. I wish I had some troubleshooting to offer, but there's not much I can offer at this point.

--HDTech

Collapse -
disc can not be played
by HD_hopes / January 20, 2010 4:24 PM PST

I had a similar issue today. I have the latest firmware on my BDP 3600. The disc that seemed to start the problem was Inglourious Basterds, rental DVD not Blu-ray disc. First it loaded, then the beginning disclaimer message about content displayed for a longish time, I couldn't click past it. BD-live content seemed to be transferring. Disc menu appeared. I could navigate to other menu screens (eg, Bonus items), but finally disc would not play. It ejected and the message "disc can not be played" appeared. Other DVDs I had been able to play before now produced the same message. The IB title and other DVDs played fine in my older DVD player.

I tried resetting the player, unplugging it, deleting the BD-live data. I wonder if a lens cleaning kit would help, as mentioned in the manual. Might try that tomorrow, along with other disc types.

Collapse -
BD-P3600 and "This disc can not be played"
by djprovost / March 31, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

I bought this player in January, and recently bought my first full fledged blu-ray disc, Disney-Pixar's Up. When I put the Blu-ray version of the movie, or the extra features disc in the player I get the message "This disc can not be played", I exchanged the disc at Best Buy, and the replacement has the same issue. Same thing with Quantum of Solace. I had been running the 2.05 firmware until a couple days ago, when the system ran the update to 2.07. "Up" wouldn't run under either version of firmware. I called Samsung and they agreed that the unit needed to go in for service, after giving me a song and dance about discs coming out with features they didnt know about yet. I thought this was all settled after the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD battle was over. I like the features available on this machine, but so far I gotta say the quality of the execution is sadly lacking.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2010 1:53 PM PDT

djprovost,

I can appreciate your frustration.

I thought "Up" was fixed with 2.05.... is this still an issue for other forum members?

But allow me to clarify the "song and dance" part.

Studios create new DRM technologies to continue to combat piracy. They don't typically offer manufacturers advance copies to work with so that the players are ready for this technology before the release, so we - like you - have to wait until release day and then work quickly to create the solution. The studios don't offer advance copies because - you guessed it - of piracy.

The studios can control piracy easier this way, and unfortunately, these steps are in place because they have to stay a step ahead of the cracks.

I'm not about to take sides on industry-vs-consumer debates here, but in defense of this particular situation, we can't work around technology designed to limit playback and unauthorized copying until it's presented.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by djprovost / April 4, 2010 3:30 AM PDT

Thanks for your response - I did send the player in for service after both Up and Quantum of Solace could not be played. I am still a bit dismayed that discs can come out with DRM and other features that renders the discs unplayable - I assume this must affect ALL Blu-ray equipment manufacturers and not just Samsung? If so, I would have expected a wide consumer and industry outcry. I'd hate to think that I have to worry whether every disc I purchase going forward is going to play in my Samsung player.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 14, 2010 4:46 PM PDT

djprovost,

I completely understand. That said, updated DRM, at least by my personal observations, come out in batches. So an update can be good for 3-6 months, and that one update will cover other releases between an unspecified or moving timeframe. Also, the more popular and profitable the title, the higher chances of new DRM is added, it seems, and then that patch is good for another couple of months.

If it happened with every release, or every month, the outcry would probably be louder.

Also, since we're on the subject, there are sometimes new features that are released that we aren't notified of prior to the release. Maximum Movie Mode, for instance, came seemingly out of nowhere, and we had to update the firmware for functionality reasons so people could enjoy that feature.

So while some may rail the studios for DRM, firmware updates also evolve as the technology progresses.

In the future, the firmware update should download and work on your player without a hitch.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Received my BD-P3600 back from Samsung after service
by djprovost / April 18, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

Looks like it wasn't a firmware problem, rather something else mechanical wrong with the machine. There wasnt much of an explanation of what the problem was, but I called Samsung and their comment was that there was a "major component replacement" performed on the unit. Both of the discs I previously had problems with are now playing fine, and the player transport mechanism is not making the same loud clunking noises it did previously when I tried to play Blu-ray discs.

Collapse -
Received my BD-P3600 back from Samsung after service
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 20, 2010 3:45 PM PDT

djprovost,

Thanks for the update, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P3600 "This Disc Can Not Play"
by phillijrp / May 12, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

I have had this unit for almost a year and have enjoyed it, but it just started the error message of "this disc can not play" within the last few weeks. I thought at first that it was a problem with Netflix blu rays, but finally discovered that it was the player. Everything else still works on the player and it will still play DVDs. I tried resetting the player and the DVD lens cleaner disc with no success. I now have reported it to Samsung where it is still under the 1 year warranty where parts are covered. I was told that I will have to send it to them and it will be an $85 labor charge and that it will take approximately 2 weeks. Has anyone had this experience with this player and how long did Samsung have your player to do the repair? This is my first Samsung product as I have always been a Sony and Panasonic consumer. I know Samsung is supposed to be excellent, but this certainly causes concern for me. Perhaps Blu ray technology has not worked out all of the "kinks" yet.

JR

Collapse -
Samsung BDP3600
by 1maddad / May 13, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

You are not alone! I purchased the BDP3600 at Best Buy, July 2009 $349. Alot of money for a device I am finding out that I have to constantly update. But that's not the problem. Since the purchase, I only used the player for DVD and Netflix streaming with no problems..... Until I decided to splurg on a Blu-Ray and recently purchased Avatar. Was excited to watch the highest level of HD viewing on my Awesome Samsung 52" LCD TV while my clothes were being washed and dried in my brand new Samsung steam washer/dryers and while cooking a TV dinner in my Samsung microwave! After inserting the disc, I heard a terrible thrashing sound coming from the player, then the disc error appeared and it got ejected. Knowing there have been many firmware updates because of the Avatar movie, I made sure I had the latest version and tried it again but it still didn't work. Took the player to the geeks at Best Buy, they sent it out and found a faulty blu-ray lens. They wanted $150 to fix it. I wasn't paying geek squad that much to repair it, so I contacted Samsung. Got a quote for approx. $80 today, pretty unhappy about the 90 day warranty, especially since the blu-ray feature never worked and I'm finding that many other people are having the same problem with the same machine in less than a year. I'm really gonna consider other manufacturers when I go to update the rest of my electronics and appliances, Samsung has really disappointed me with this one.

KS

Collapse -
Follow-up to Original Posting
by deanhoppe / May 13, 2010 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung BDP3600

I started this thread back in early January, so I figured I owed everyone an update. Hopefully it will be of benefit to someone.

I followed Samsung's advice to send the player in for repair. The experience was horrible! After Samsung received the player, it took a couple of phone calls for them to process my credit card number correctly; obviously, this delayed the repair (albeit, not too long). Since customer service didn't specify, I sent the remote control along with the player in the original box. When I eventually received the player back, it was in a beat-up old box (not the original) and did not include the remote control. When I looked at the player, I was shocked to see that it was all scratched-up on the front. I assumed for the moment that the player must have been a reconditioned replacement; however, a quick check of the serial number confirmed it was my original player. I placed a call to customer service, which escalated the issue to Executive Customer Service (ECS). I spoke to a very kind gentleman who promised to have a new remote control immediately sent out and then he would follow-up on the scratches issue over the next couple of weeks. After not hearing back for 3-4 weeks, I placed another call to ECS. I was informed the gentleman I spoke to previously no longer worked in the department, but I spoke to another wonderful person. As before, I was promised the remote as well as a follow-up call from someone else who would address the scratches. Once AGAIN, I did not hear back. After another 3-4 weeks, I called back to ECS. This time I spoke with another apologetic and kind person. Fortunately or not, this would be the last person I spoke to. Disappointingly, she could not find record of my conversation with the second rep - I guess this explains his lack of follow-up. She was able to finally get me a replacement remote control by early to mid-APRIL. She also provided me with her e-mail address so I could send her pictures of the scratched unit. I don't recall which rep told me this, but someone said the service center manager tried to blame UPS for the scratches. Unless UPS opened the box, removed the unit, scratched it up on the front of the unit and then repacked it, it was not UPS. Rather than just offer me a replacement unit or refund the service fee ($85.60), they wanted me to send the unit back once again. Considering that we've barely even been able to use the now outdated unit, I was reluctant to send it back in, only to lose it for even more time. I would have been okay with giving them a credit card to cover the cost of the unit, should I not return the original unit after receiving a new one, but they were inflexible. In fact, I was not even allowed to talk to a manager. We've spent a ton of money on Samsung products over the past year, yet they don't seem to care.

For the record, they never did tell me what was wrong with the player; I am just glad we have a functioning player. I wish I could post a picture of the unit to the forum to back my story, but I don't think that is possible.

Collapse -
It Happened Again! Goodbye Samsung!
by deanhoppe / February 8, 2011 11:56 AM PST

Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but my 2550 has now died the same death as my 3600! This time I will be smart enough to keep my money in my wallet rather than send it to Samsung to fix it. I refuse to go through that miserable experience again. This time, I will be smart and give my hard earned dollars to another manufacturer, even if I have to sacrifice some features. I have spent a fortune on Samsung products in the last few years, but I will not give them any more. It pains me to say it, but goodbye Samsung!

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P3600 "This Disc Can Not Play"
by phillijrp / May 15, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung BDP3600

Thanks for the responses regarding the Samsung BD-P3600's Error Message: "This Disc Can Not Play". I am sorry to hear the you folks have also had the same problem. I definitely plan to have Samsung repair mine under the 1 Yr. parts warranty and they certainly better take good care of the unit and repair it in a timely manner. As I stated before, I really had not played that many Blu ray discs in my player in the year that I have had it. Thus, it seems ridiculous that it should be having any problems at this point. I have had Sony electronics for years and you can not wear it out. I thought that this was a "high end" piece of equipment when it was purchased, so I certainly hope that it is not now out dated.

JR

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Ready for the Scrap Heap
by cynalan / August 25, 2010 12:40 PM PDT

It is so discouraging to read all of the negative comments about Samsung products and their customer service. Unfortunately, I must now add my $0.02 to the list, for the second time. My experience with Samsung has ensured that I will never buy another one of their products ever again.

I bought the DVD player approximately 14 months ago. It's main attraction was the ability to stream videos from my desktop to my TV, a function that I was never able to get working in spite of numerous calls to the service centre. They were clueless and could not help.

This week I started receiving the dreaded "Can not read disc". I was informed that there would be at least an $85 repair fee. From what I've read on many forums, I am going to pass and take a sledge hammer to this piece of crap.

Samsung will never receive another penny of my hard earned dollars. I should have stayed with the known, mainstream components.

Collapse -
re:to this disk cannot be played
by jimiwilliams / December 9, 2011 9:32 AM PST

hey could you tell me if it was a lot of money to repair as i have the same problem with my BD-HT1220 and would like to see as ive found a replacement assy deck for £70 thanks

Collapse -
re:to this disk cannot be played
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2011 10:35 AM PST

jimiwilliams -

Collapse -
Same problem here
by Nidwow / December 20, 2011 5:50 AM PST

Well, I've got one of this error as well.

19 out 22 Blu Ray movies we have got this stupid " This Disk cannot be played" when we are trying to play. All 22 work fine with our Sony player. Regular DVDs and Blu Ray made from HD camcorder work fine. Few commercially bought Blu Ray movies we have did played but skipping unable to watch but most won't even play and those were PLAYED on this particular player before.

Samsung, our BD-P3600 was not broken until recent firmware(s) updated. Our player wasn't broken but Samsung fix it until it is. New firmware suppose to improve not destroying people players.

Samsung CSR want me to send it in for out of warranty repair for $119. I can drive 5 min and buy a new Samsung 3D player for $149.99. Why would I send it to have it fix for $120??? CSR couldn't even answer me that.

Oh - wait!!! Why would we buy anything Samsung again?

Collapse -
WHY ARE THEY NOT RECALLING AND FIXING THIS PROBLEM?
by philndeb / December 24, 2011 2:05 PM PST

Well, I am getting the same message ("This Disc can not be played"). This is inexcusable. Samsung knows full well that they have created a brick of a product, yet they continue to charge customers for what THEY screwed up. I have been a loyal Samsung customer but no more. I fully intend to make it my business to write evry regulatory agency on this issue and post in every forum on the web. There really does need to be a clarion call that Samsung throws out half-baked products and then tells customers to "just deal with it" or "buy another Samsung product". This is totally unethical if not criminal.

Collapse -
Can anyone find a mirror that still has firmware 2.05?
by davidhof / January 9, 2012 10:25 AM PST

I have this problem and would like to try to downgrade to something that I remember worked.

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P3600 "This Disc Can Not be Played"
by MikeM118 / January 17, 2012 5:45 AM PST

I have the same issue as the rest of the posters here. The player seems to handle DVD's and some Blu-rays OK but then other Blu-rays (about 50 - 70% of the time I try) get this "disc can not be played" error. I put the BR Disc in, I hear a loud clunky sound coming from the player (reminds me of how a 3,5 inch floppy drive sounded), then the disc gets ejected and the error is displayed. It happened just the other night with the "Green Lantern" and we couldn't watch the movie.

The unit is out of warranty, but really has been very lightly used. I have probably watched no more than a dozen movies on it over the last year. I consistently upgrade to the latest firmware whenever it's available.

What is unclear to me after reviewing these posts is whether error is the result of a mechanical issue (faulty / misaligned laser perhaps) or something to do with the firmware. When it makes the clunky sound it makes me thing it's mechanical, but the fact that it plays some discs and not others makes me think it's firmware.

If it's firmware, perhaps I'll try to stay patient until Samsung can fix it. But if it's mechanical I guess I just throw the thing away, which is a shame b/c I spent more than I had to last year on this unit b/c I thought I was getting a "premium" Blu-Ray Player...but agreeing with the previous poster it doesn't make sense to spend $100+ to fix it when I can go buy a brand new unit for that or slightly more.

Can anyone answer the mechanical vs firmware question?

Collapse -
Clues to the "mechanical vs firmware" question.
by NotATechie999 / June 11, 2012 12:04 PM PDT

I have the same problem, "This disc can not be played". Here is my story in short (sort of);

Purchased December 2009
Model: BD3252T/XAA
Never connected it to the internet. Set it up and took it to girlfriends house. She does not have internet.
Played all types of disc's including Blu-ray with no problems.
March 2012, (2 years 3 months later), Hard fail. Will not play any disc's even ones that previously played.
Tried to run the Laser Lens Cleaner disc. Same problem, "This disc can not be played".

As per tech supports suggestion, I took the player back to my house, connected it to the internet and tried to perform a Firmware Upgrade. The response was, "The latest version of the firmware is already installed. There is no need to update."

Disassembled the unit and removed the cover from the actual disc player. Observed the assembly on boot-up. Everything looked normal to me (Of course I don't know what normal is.). Both lasers flashed, moved up and down, and the servo motor moved the carriage along its dual shafts. I took a magnifying glass and inspected both lens. No debris. No burnt smell or obvious damage. ESD damage can occur with no way of telling. Reseated the ribbon cables between the player and mother board. Reassembled. No change. Same problem.

I am biting the bullet and sending it back to Samsung for the $8X.00 repair. It goes with a Home Theater System with remote wireless speakers and I don't know if a different unit would work with them.

I suspect a hardware problem since no new firmware was ever installed and older disc's that once played no longer do.
End of Story.

Collapse -
Rubbish
by Eazikill / December 30, 2012 11:56 PM PST

I have the sane problem blue ray films used to play but then they dont. Same films ect but will no longer play. Dvds play normal dsta discs play ect so being quite technical I decided to strip it down and see what was going on. As well as clean the lense. So I striped it inside there are 2 differant lenses 1 for reading dvds 1 for reading blue rays so thst would sort of explain it right? 1 lense being dirty well thst was my first thought but when I stsrted to put it back together I found the problem.. on putting the top case back on I descovered the problem. The well only way to describe it as tge femalepart of the motor rotation divice for spinning the discs (white plastic bit) a random washer was tgere with debre around it. It looks like this washer has come loose from the bottom of the rotation divice as a result the disc isnt spinning fast enough or its rattling around too much for the fine blue ray laser to read tgese discs properly. This is a design flaw and in my opinoin should be repaired or replaced free of charge! I have picturse of tgis if anyone wants to see it.

Collapse -
After 2 years proper work the same Blu Rays are not read
by YannicW / February 7, 2013 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Rubbish

Thanks Rubbish for your entry which leads me into the right direction.

After 2 years usage of my P3600 (4-5x per month) i am now faced with the same described problems that step by step the same blu rays which have been played ok by now are not be read anymore. In addition the noice while playing the discs in general has increased and the display screen quality of the DVD has become worse.
I have sent a info and request for solution to Samsung.
Will report here

Collapse -
Same problem for me tonight.
by handaroo / February 9, 2013 7:31 AM PST

I have another DVD for non blu rays and have used this about 10 - 15 times since I had it. Tonight it would not play a new blu-ray and I checked with an old blu-ray that worked before and it won't play that either.

Collapse -
Same problem
by sneakypeter11 / March 26, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

I've been having this same problem for the last couple of months and have just been using my PS3 so I'm not inconvenienced. However, I really would like to get back to using the Sammy so I don't have to be stuck using the PS3 controller to control playback. It worked fine for a couple years and now all of a sudden nothing. Even new blu rays. Someone at Samsung has GOT to do something. It looks like eazikill has determined the cause of the problem, now Samsung needs to step up and make the repair.

Collapse -
Re: Same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 26, 2013 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Hi sneakypeter11,

Sorry to hear about this. I assumed you've applied the firmware from last July for the BD-P3600. If you have not, please do so. If you have, try a hard reset. If neither work and none of your Blu-ray discs work still, it'll likely need a repair, and here's the link to the thread in this forum that discusses how to set that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?