Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 7.1 sound issue?

by jcarlet / February 21, 2010 4:02 AM PST

I must say this is the most disappointing Samsung product I ever have had. I have a Samsung refrigerator. Love it. I have a Samsung monitor. Love it. I have a Samsung DVD player (DVD-1080p7). Works great. So I bought the BD-P3600 because of past experience with Samsung products.

The issue is I CANNOT get 7.1 sound out of it. I have tried the OPTICAL connection. I have tried the COAX connection chained out of my Mitsubishi TV (HDMI from the P3600 to the TV). I have tried the 7.1 analog connection direct to the receiver figuring this is a last resort.

The digital connections will provide the three front channels only (L-C-R) and the analog connection only provides front left& right and surround rear L&R, (NO CENTER CHANNEL AT ALL!!!).

In either case, there is NO subwoofer sound. I used the built in menu option for audio-speaker setup AND the THX optimizer on the MONSTER'S INC. DVD. The DVD player outputs the sound fine, all digital discrete channels, it tests each channel in sequence along with the subwoofer. The bluray player never does. I have tried every combination of option for sound in the menu for BOTH digital and analog (the menu seems to work only for digital, you would figure that there would ALWAYS be 7.1 sound out of the analog outputs). NOTHING I have tried works. I even let it download the latest firmware from the internet (45 minutes on my FIOS connection, they must have one overloaded FTP server)

Has anyone achieved 7.1 sound from their player? The built in sound menu is useless.

My HT Receiver is a Kenwood VR-6070 (THX Surround EX) with an additional PIONEER amplifier for the rear speakers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 7.1 sound issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 7.1 sound issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
7.1 Yes mine works
by fussysod / February 21, 2010 6:30 AM PST

I have no trouble in receiving 7.1 through my Pioneer amp with the samsung BD -P3600 player, go into audio setings on the player and select bit stream audiophile, by the way i use aan HDMI cable from player to amp.
It work for me, I now receive DTS HD sound & Dolby Digital HD 7.1.

Give it a try.

Collapse -
More information...
by jcarlet / February 21, 2010 11:05 PM PST

I have been searching the internet for a solution or others who are having this issue. I made one discovery and found two suggestions that seem to work.

1) If the INTERNAL SPEAKERS on the T.V. are set to ON, then the player thinks that only stereo sound is available. Setting the speakers to OFF seems to enable 7.1 sound via the coax channel. I had to cycle power on all devices to get this information passed back to the player.

2) The SubWoofer sound is low and must be boosted. This is (was) not a problem for the earlier model DVD player.

3) The player's internal speaker test NEVER outputs correct sound, yet while playing the movie I can hear sound out of all the speakers. The internal test does the three front correctly (L-C-R) and the REAR effects speakers, but when playing the side effect speakers, the sound outputs from the side AND front speaker on that side. The SubWoofer never outputs sound that I can determine.

4) Using the THX optimizer disk on this player, I NEVER GET CORRECT SOUND. NEVER. If someone has successfully found a THX disk that plays the channels correctly, post it up. (as noted in the original, my DVD player works with the THX disk just fine).

Collapse -
7.1 Sound
by _jr_ / February 22, 2010 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: More information...

If I understand correctly, you have a 6.1 Receiver, but two rear surround speakers are hooked up using an additional receiver?

If you are connecting via OPT of COAX, you cannot get true 7.1 sound, obviously. With your receiver, the decoding of HD sound (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD) has to be done by the BDP player. The receiver does not support these formats and won't know what to do. Therefore, due to lack of HDMI input on the HTR, it appears that the only way to get discrete 7.1 out of the BDP is via Analog OUT (7.1). Besides, how else would you separate 5.1 channels for the main receiver from the 2-channels for the auxiliary receiver?

For 5.1 stuff, OPT OUT will do the trick (BDP to Receiver).

I don't claim I fully understand your setup, but from what I can gather, you should connect like this:

BDP -> HDMI -> TV (for video)
TV - Speakers Off (External Speakers selected)
BDP -> OPT/COAX -> HTR (for 5.1/6.1-Matrix sound)
BDP -> Analog 7.1 -> HTR/HTR2 (for 7.1)

I don't know why speaker test is not working in your case.
Again, sorry if I misunderstood your setup...

Collapse -
I give up. Returned my P3600 to the store.
by jcarlet / February 23, 2010 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: 7.1 Sound

The receiver can do 7.1 Although there are only amplifiers for 6 channels, with a setup on the receiver, the SW is output via an RCA jack to a powered subwoofer, and the rear channels are output also through RCA jacks, fed then into an external amplifier. In this mode, the three front and two side channels are amplified in the receiver, two amplifiers are disabled, and the other three channels are output as above. Using the built in test mode of the amplifier all 8 channels work.

Using the old DVD player and THX test on the "Monsters INC.", I get perfect 6.1 sound, the two rear channels are combined. Attaching the bluray player, using the same disc, I only get the three front channels (L-C-R), two side channels play through the front speakers, and at no time do I get discrete output from the subwoofer or two rear channels.

IF the TV speakers are "disabled" in the TV menu, then depending on the power up sequence (apparently, I did not want to stress the lamp in my DLP TV) occasionally (once!) I got the three front channels (L-C-R) AND the two side channels, but never the rear or subwoofer (using the built in sound test and or the THX test). I then put in a movie (Start Trek 2009) and during play of that movie I could hear sound from all 8 channels. I just figured the software for the speaker test was screwed and decided I could live with that.

Then on Monday I tried another movie (District 9). I turned everything back on and again, all I had was sound out of the three front channels. I spent another hour trying to duplicate my success from Sunday to no avail. Playing the movie seemed to give 5.1 sound, there was no sound at all from the read speakers.

After three frustrating days of trying to get this P.O.S. to work as sold, I gave up and returned the unit to Best Buy.

In conclusion, several items came up:

1) Apparently if the INTERNAL SPEAKERS on the TV are enabled, the unit will ONLY output L-C-R or stereo.

2) With the INTERNAL SPEAKERS DISABLED, I got output from the two side channels (ONCE!!) using the player speaker test, but never got SW output using that test. BUT, I had output from all 8 channels playing a movie.

3) Apparently (I gave up after this), depending on the power on sequence of devices, the player *might* output 5 channel sound, or it might not. Switching inputs on the TV between an input where the internal speakers were not disabled and back to the dvd input seemed to confuse the decoding in the player and change the sound back to three channel.

4) One thing to note, the above was using the COAX output of the TV to the receiver. HDMI from the player to the TV.

5) At no time was I able to achieve 7.1 sound through the optical connections, and was unable to obtain 5 channel sound using the same.

6) At no time did I ever get 7.1 sound using the analog connections.

7) Certain sequences of tests sometimes even had sound coming from the side speaker and associate front speaker at the same time, when sound was ONLY supposed to be coming from the side speaker.

Cool At NO TIME DID I EVER GET SW (LFE) SOUND FROM MY 200 watt 12" powered subwoofer USING THE INTERNAL TESTS OR THE MONSTERS INC DVD ON THIS BLURAY PLAYER. Though everything worked correctly using the older DVD player. I did get subwoofer output on one movie one time, almost by accident.

My take is this player is not yet ready from prime time, released too early with a "fix it in the field" marketing mentality. I returned the player to the store and got my money back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.