Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P2550 not showing Pandora or Netflix options

by rajabee / December 25, 2008 4:02 AM PST

I see on the CNET video that there are icons for Pandora and Netflix, but those icons do NOT appear on my screen, nor is there any documentation in the manual. The manufacture date on the machine is 8/2008. Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P2550 not showing Pandora or Netflix options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P2550 not showing Pandora or Netflix options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ethernet...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 25, 2008 4:17 AM PST

Both of those features require Ethernet.

Is your BD-P2550 hooked up to the internet?

--HDTech

Collapse -
accessing the internet
by rajabee / December 25, 2008 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Ethernet...

I have the ethernet connection hooked to the back of the player...when I chose to attempt a system update...it says it cannot access the internet, but, when I unplug the connection from the back of the unit and plug into my laptop, I CAN access the internet from that connection

Collapse -
Update the Firmware.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 25, 2008 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: accessing the internet

rajabee,

It may be that the latest firmware update addresses this issue. If you have the ability to burn an ISO CD or have a thumbdrive handy, you can download the firmware and see if that updates the functionality of the player. I do believe that to use Netflix, you need the update:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=&type=blu_ray&subtype=blu_raydiscplayers&model_nm=BD-P2500&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=&prd_ia_cd=03020100&disp_nm=BD-P2500&model_cd=&menu=download

Keep me posted. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-P2550 and internet
by drbaum1 / January 6, 2009 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Ethernet...

I also have the BD-P2550 and am trying to figure out how to connect to the internet. Am I right in thinking the USB port CANNOT be used with, e.g. a USB wireless adapter? Is there any way, short of running LAN cable through my whole house, to connect to the internet? Thanks.

Collapse -
Wireless
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 7, 2009 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: BD-P2550 and internet

drbaum1,

The USB port is not designed to transfer or download wireless content. It is for firmware updates, and for storage of BDLive downloads.

There are some "gaming" adapters (network) that several users here have reported they've been able to conenct, however that kind of networking is something that Samsung doesn't offically "support" (help you set up, or guarantee compatibility). Your best bet is to look through the forums here, and maybe get some help through the wireless network adapter's technical support if you decide to go that route.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung BDP 2550 and Netflix
by TomKJ / February 21, 2009 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless

I cannot connect to Netflix, keeps coming up with the error (after the red Netflix screen) - "cannot connect to network.." etc. I know the internet works as Pandora works fine and also was able to update the firmware earlier. I have tried all options including bypassing the routers and going straight to the Moddem (DSL). Netflix alone refuses to work and Samsung tech support couldn't help and appears to have given up saying there may be known 'bug'. I cannot exchange this unit as none are available on the shelf in Best Buy. So I guess I have to return within 30 days the unit and wait till I get something which works. I am trying to stick with Samsung as I have a Samsung TV (LN42A650. Can anybody help.. or suggest something. Thanks

Collapse -
Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 23, 2009 1:13 PM PST

TomKJ,

I'm not aware of any bug, but let me check with our service department to either confirm or deny that. I've seen very few cases where Netflix didn't work, where Pandora did. Usually, in my experience, it's either both or neither, and that's usually due to a network issue.

I appreciate you staying with the Samsung brand if possible. Naturally, we want this to be a good experience for you. That said, I believe that the best thing is to do what makes you the happiest. I do know that these units have had a very high demand (partially due to the Pandora feature), but you might want to work with your retailer's manager to see if you can exchange it now (within the return period) and pick up the replacement when it arrives. Various stores will do various things.

Maybe other members will have some ideas too.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix and Samsung BDP 2550
by TomKJ / February 23, 2009 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: Netflix

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get an exchange with the hope this problem would be rectified with the new one. But alas.. I have the same problem. Netflix alone refuses to start up, Pandora and Software updates went fine. I can't think of any issue the my network could be causing. PC (Laptop) connected to the same connection can bring up Netflix. I wondered if using a 100 ft ethernet cable to connect from the modem/ router or is it the modem itself?

I guess I will tinker around some and may be try this unit at a friend's place before I give up on Samsung.

Collapse -
can't stream netflix
by dbotello / February 25, 2009 11:33 AM PST

Like the earlier post, I can stream internet radio just fine. I can see the netflix movies, but they won't stream. I have returned the first BDP-2550 to Best Buy and have a separate unit from Best buy per Samsung's recommendation that it was a hardware problem. I also got a story from Customer service at Samsung that it was a software (firmware) problem with netflix which would be resolved soon. On both units, I upgraded the software to the latest version.
My network is fast enough 6M down(avg), and netflix said that they didn't know of an existing problem.

Thoughts ?

David

Collapse -
Netflix - 2550 Issues re- solved!!
by TomKJ / March 23, 2009 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: can't stream netflix

After a lot of tinkering even after an exchanging for another 2550 piece I was convinced this would never be resolved and planned to return it this time for good. Well it so happened when I went to return the second machine - one the BB salesman convinced me try out the new model 3600. But alas it still didn't work - same issue. But only this time 3600 has a network test feature and test failed at the test Gateway Ping step. This somehow convinced me there was some kind of firewall issue. Next call to Samsung and it appeared they knew of the problem. Apparently the router I was using Belkin G Wireless- was the cause of the problem. They have the documentation at the Belkin Support site. It went away after disabling the Belkin Router Firewall with a firmware update (firewall enabled after Netflix streaming started once). Apparently even by passing the router doesn't help according to the guy who talked to me some IP address issue!!.

3600 is definitely awesome with lot more capability - including WiFi Wireless and PC streaming. With the Samsung LN42A65) the quality of the Netflix streaming is awesome. I have DSL with 6 M download!!

Hope this helps!!

Collapse -
can't stream netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 23, 2009 4:23 PM PDT

Forum members,

If you're experiencing issues in streaming Netflix or using that application, you might try downloading the latest firmware, which does fix a Netflix networking issue. That can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/d9x5et

--HDTech

Collapse -
Hooking the BD P2500 to ethernet network
by dondunlap13 / May 7, 2009 5:48 AM PDT

I have a BD p2500 abd a Samsung LN52A650 I just wired the house for ethernet and am trying to hook up the DVD to the network. I have had no success so I downloaded the latest firmware mentioned in your post above and every time I copy it to a CD using Nero, the DVD cant load it. I am at an impasse. My computer doesn't recognize the DVD as being on the Network and I have set up the DVD for networking, but nothing works.

I thought it might be the Cat 5 cable but I had a friend with good test equipment check everything and it is correct. Can you give me any pointers?

Collapse -
Netflix on BD-P2550
by TomKJ / May 7, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

I ended up exchanging this with 3600. The problem existed. However a couple of days after repeated calls to Samsung, they came up with the solution. Apparently my router(Belkin) was not allowing Netflix the access. I had to do a firmware upgrade on Belkin router and the problem went away. Go to the Belkin web site for more info.

I guess firmware upgrade has to be done BD-P2550 before you start up. I never had problem accessing the Internet for firmware and Pandora so that was never the issue.

Suggestion, I would return 2550 and go with 3600 model, there wasn't much of price difference, it is much better and has wireless access (through a Dongle) and Home Networking to access MP3 audio, Jpeg and DIVx files (haven't tested that though) from your home computers if networked.
Hope this helps!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?