Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1600 Netflix Problem

by sseeba / July 7, 2009 2:17 PM PDT

I am having trouble getting my new blu-ray player to stream netflix. I have the BD-P1600 connected to a Netgear FVS318v3 router. Network connectivity tests pass and Pandora streams without incident. My Netflix is clearly connecting because it downloads my playlist. However, it will not show the pictures of the movies on the playlist, nor will the videos play. (Also netflix works on my X360 with the router in place). When I bypass the router, netflix works without incident. But this is not a satisfactory option. We are hosting a web server and network security is critical, thus the firewall router. I have tried putting the BP in the router's DMZ to no avail.

Any ideas? I really want netflix to work!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1600 Netflix Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1600 Netflix Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P1600 Netflix Problem - me too
by bfitler / July 8, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

I have almost exactly the same config: Netgear FVS318v3 router allows Pandora and Netflix queue discovery, but appears to be blocking Netflix image / video streaming to Samsung BD-P1600. I also tried placing BD-P1600 in DMZ. Samsung level 2 support was clueless.

My plan is to try the LG player. Sorry not to have better idea, I just wanted to attach to this thread should someone answer.

Collapse -
How old is the router, and does it have current firmware?
by nullstadt / July 8, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

I've had these problems as well, though with an older Linksys router (my story is on a different thread here). For whatever reason, I've seen other stories of people having issues with the BD-P1600 and older routers that they weren't able to solve. I also tried to DMZ it, static IP it, DHCP, etc, and nothing seemed to work (or at least keep working).

I've also found that when you get stuck in Netflix with the player, you need to unplug it, press the on/off button for about 30 seconds straight, and then plug it back in, in order to reset it and to allow a reconnection to Netflix.

I ended up getting a new N router from DLink that seems to work ok, but you're not alone in having problems with Netflix and these players.

Collapse -
Update
by sseeba / July 9, 2009 5:33 PM PDT

First: It is a Netgear FVS318v3, recently purchased. Firmware is most current: v3.0_27. I am VERY happy with the router otherwise and not having the firewall is NOT an option with the web server.

Second: Samsung tech responded to my e-mail and said this:

"You need to open up ports 80 and 443. Once you open these ports you need to also take down the built in firewall on the router. After doing these steps on the router you need to powercycle you home network. Once you are connected back to netflix and stream your first movie, you can then go back into the router to enable the firewall."

Great...I can open the ports, but I can't disable the firewall. Can I? And opening the ports alone did nothing.

ARG!!!

Collapse -
Update
by _jr_ / July 9, 2009 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

>>>Great...I can open the ports, but I can't disable the firewall. Can I? And opening the ports alone did nothing.
>>>

Can't you disconnect your network computers before you disable the firewall, then follow the procedure suggested by Samsung tech, and then once you get Netflix to work, enable the firewall and then reconnect your computers? I understand your webserver will be offline for a few minutes, but hopefully that is not a problem.

_jr_

Collapse -
Firewall
by sseeba / July 10, 2009 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

I'm not worried about the server coming down. It can be down all day if it fixes my problem. The problem is that there is no way to disable the firewall on the FVS318, nearest I can tell...

...I just feel like there HAS to be an answer, and it's frustrating.

Collapse -
DMZ
by tschoo / July 22, 2009 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewall

I have been having the exact same issue with my 1600. The very frustrating thing is that until this morning, everything was working fine. Regarding the firewall question, wouldn't putting the device in the DMZ effectively eliminate the firewall? I tried this as well and had not luck. I don't know that there is a way to disable the firewall other than enabling all ports or putting the machine in the DMZ.

My router is a bit older - Netgear FWAG114. Be very anxious to see if you have been able to resolve this.

THS

Collapse -
Thank You !!!!!!!!!
by hamiltion / December 3, 2009 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: DMZ

This worked for me !!!!! Thank You !!!!!!!!! Thank You !!!!!!!!!
It would be nice if Netflix or Samsung would post this information on their site.

Collapse -
Solution
by tschoo / July 23, 2009 6:04 AM PDT

I solved the problem for myself.

The issue was that I had some keywords blocked as a rule (parental type of things.) While I haven't determined what the word was, I assume it was something like "Adult".

Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
Solution!!!
by sseeba / July 27, 2009 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution

I found a solution. I hope this helps the other fellow who ALSO has an FVS318v3. Samsung was right...mostly (their solution for me is posted above-read it). Make your blu-ray player a static IP address (even if the rest of your network is DHCP). Open ports 80 and 443 to that IP address.

The FVS318 does not have an option to turn off the firewall. SO...put the blu-ray player in the DMZ. Power cycle the router and blu-ray player. Netflix SHOULD be working now. Stream something. Now turn off the blu-ray player. Remove the player from the DMZ (but leave the ports open) and power cycle router again. Voila.

Worked for me.

Collapse -
I tried, but still no joy
by bfitler / July 28, 2009 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution!!!

Thanks, sseeba, for posting what worked for you. I bought the BDP-1590 and tried to configure the FVS318v3 router. I opened ports 80/443 by using the router's Rules screen to allow HTTP/80 and HTTPS/443 outbound always; to allow inbound HTTP and HTTPS inbound to the static IP reserved for the BDP-1590; and I placed that static IP in the DMZ. I have cycled power both router and BDP-1590 - and it still fails to download thumbnail images of my instant play queue and is unable to play any of the movies.

Any other ideas? and thanks...

Collapse -
Hmmm....
by sseeba / July 28, 2009 5:35 PM PDT

Not sure. That worked for me. I did also do a firmware upgrade on my BDP-1600 before trying the above mentioned solution. Make sure both your router and blu-ray have the most current firmware. Other than that...I'm at a loss. I'll post more if I think of/figure out anthing.

Collapse -
Likely resolution
by Statictrap / August 21, 2009 6:57 AM PDT

I've seen with multiple versions of Samsung players, that they do not seem to work well with routers in multiple protocol support modes, usually their default. Many routers support multiple protocols like 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. I had the same problem streaming Netflix video where it seems to connect, you get the text, but no pics or ability to stream. By placing my router into wireless-N only mode, the only mode the player supports, it began working fine. There is apparently something going on when multiple protocols are supported in the router, like it detects your neighbors wirelss-G or B network and the interaction with the Samsung units falls apart. I've seen it with multiple router vendors, so I suspect it is something going on with how the Samsung units implemented their interface protocol. You might give that a try and see if that works for you.

Collapse -
hard wired router - no wireless involved
by bfitler / August 21, 2009 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Likely resolution

Thanks for help, statictrap, but as I understood your post, it was only applicable to wireless routers - and mine was wired.

I did eventually "solve" the problem by replacing the Netgear router with a Linksys running dd-wrt...

Collapse -
FVS318v3 Turn trusted ip on
by budgiezzz / November 28, 2009 2:05 AM PST

on the netgear fvs318v3 (updated firm ware)
open ports 80/443 under rules, and check trusted ip on and input your player's ip address under block sites. DMZ did not make a difference for me. I left it off. this worked for me on samsung 1590. I do not think any of this has to do with samsung or netflix, it is purely a router issue. Now it would be nice if netflix can consider to give some direction regarding this on their site as it is not a plug and play thing as they make it to be.

Collapse -
BD-P1600 Netflix Problem
by databaseone / December 27, 2009 1:04 PM PST

I spent the last two days trying to get Netflix and YouTube to work on my new Samsung Blu-ray player. I followed the setup instructions, including the firmware update that starts at setup. Pandora and Blockbuster worked following the firmware upgrade, but Netflix and YouTube world not work despite a hundred changes to my Linksys WRT54GL router. As a final shot I reset the BD-P1600 to the factory default and everything worked. This was a cable installation (not wireless) setup on Verizon DSL. I did not have to open any ports or trick the router.

Collapse -
AHA!!
by srelan / December 16, 2009 8:53 AM PST

one of the posts here led me to fix my exact same problem. I have the same Netgear router and my netflix was working perfectly fine. One day it stopped abruptly 4 weeks ago. Pulling my hair out.
Turns out that is the time I turn "ON" the keyword site blocking to keep my kids way from the naughty bits online. Just turned keyword blocking off and netflix works fine now....

I would have never figured that was the problem. Samsung tech support didn't have a clue to help me.

Collapse -
Ok...finally a fix/workaround.
by GOZERs / January 12, 2010 6:52 AM PST

OK. My problem was the same and I found it was our older wired router (NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS318v3) that was the problem.

The fix was to buy an updated router that does support UPnP.

But...I was able to reset some settings on the router via my Browser.

? I first reserved/set the blu-rays device's IP address as a static address.
? Using the "Services" menu I created a new service named it "Netflix" (TCP) and listed Ports 80 and 443.
? Then in "Rules" I added a new Inbound service named "Netflix", "ALLOW always", listed the "fixed" bluray device IP address.

One caveat and I've seen this written up elsewhere. I had previously discovered before these actions that if I had checked on under "Rules" "Default DMZ Server" and put in the bluray device's IP address that the Netflix service worked fine but was warned by the NetGear people that that was leaving my network vulnerable to intrusion.

The reason I bring it up as that this is how I was configured before I made the changes recommended above. It was the last thing I reversed back to default after making the changes listed above with no negative effect.

That's it! Netflix streaming.

Good luck.

CC

Collapse -
BD-P1600 FIXED
by ji2myn / April 6, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

If you are having issues connecting to Netflix be sure to have set the TIME and DATE on your blu-ray player. Apparantly, in order to connect to Netflix servers your player must be in sync with their connections via TIME and DATE. Weird, but it worked like a charm for me after playing with the settings for so long.

If the issue lies in the firewall you can contact your ISP to disable the firewall. You can do this yourself by finding your IP for your router and type it into the address bar. From there, play with the settings and it can be a process of trial and error.

To reset your player to factory settings. Turn OFF your blu-ray player, once you turn it on hold the FAST FORWARD button on the player.

Sometimes the password for your internet connection might play a role as well if it is not connect to the ethernet cable.

Hope these Tips work!

Collapse -
NetFlix
by Zacadan / April 19, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

Hi, i'm from Brazil and i have a BD-P1600. I've updated the firmware and for my surprise it comes just with youtube app. Why my blue ray doesn't have netflix app? It's different model from USA? thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?