Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1600 HDMI video issues

I recently purchased a BD-P1600 and tried to set it up on my Olevia 242T FHD LCD HDTV. When connecting to the TV via the A/V cables included with the Blu-ray player, everything works fine. When trying to use the HDMI connection, the video has come color distortion/noise but the audio is fine.

The output has psychodelic colors on all menus/movies. I've read several posts that say it would be the TV not supporting HDCP, but this is from the TV manual/website: "Digital Input - 2 HDMI w/HDCP". I get the same results on both HDMI ports.

The HDMI connection works perfectly when I hook up my laptop, just not the BD-P1600. I'm hoping there is an easy fix so I don't have to deal with the hassle of exchanging it for another unit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1600 HDMI video issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1600 HDMI video issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: BD-P1600 HDMI video issues

m4j1n,

Have you changed the menu in the BD-P1600 to output to HDMI after watching it with the composite cables?

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI output

Yes, I've switched to HDMI output and I also changed the resolution to 720p and 480p with no change in color.

Collapse -
HDMI output

In reply to: HDMI output

m4j1n,

What is the resolution of the television panel? Last ditch effort I can think of before suggesting aforementioned exchange.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Colour mode?

In reply to: HDMI output

Perhaps its the colour mode, the wide or xvYCC setting causing issues?

Collapse -

FWIW I have the exact same symptoms with a BD-P1600 + Olevia 265T. I've already exchanged the player and received the same results. I too have a used a laptop and confirmed HDCP on the TV using Nvidia's COPP test tool as well as playing encrypted content across the link. Samsung suggested I send the player to them as if the 2 players were somehow unique. I suspect a HDCP handshake issue but do not have the tools investigate this.

Collapse -
New unit, same result

I exchanged the BD-P1600 for another BD-P1600 and I get the same results. Sad I've changed all settings for resolution and color on both the TV and the Blu-ray. I've purchased a $90 HDMI cable with no luck.

I'm running out of ideas and think it may be time to try a Sony.

Collapse -
New unit, same result

In reply to: New unit, same result

m4j1n,

I'm not quite sure why you'd be getting colored/psychedelic colors on the TV - the only thing I can think is that the video out would be set to composite rather than HDMI. If you've changed/checked the video settings (you seem pretty savvy with this, so I hope this doesn't come across as too simplistic) and this happens, I don't know what to suggest next.

In some rare cases, like anything else, sometimes there are just incompatibilities that I might not be able to explain, or issues between two electronic components that just don't work together. At the end of the day I want you to be happy, so definitely, do what is best for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
mew firmware, no joy

Saw the updated firmware v1.03 and decided to give it go. No joy, player still in tripping on LSD. I'm just about at the decision to call this done. I bought this unit due to Samsung's better image quality with Netlix and prefer to keep it vs going with an LG but I really need HDMI vs componant. Everything points to an hdcp handshake issue which should be fixable via firmware.

Collapse -
Same problem but with Vizio 47

In reply to: mew firmware, no joy

Im having the same problem with a new samsung bdp1600. I have a 47 Vizio that does have HDCP. I don't even get colors i dont get any signal at all. The rca works and if i set the hdmi res to 720 i get distorted colors.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.