Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1600 Firmware Update

by KReed84 / July 1, 2009 12:24 PM PDT

I installed the new Firmware update today and the device when it was finished installing turned off then back on, but would not display anything on the TV. It only displays LOAD on the players screen and will only open and close. How/Should I perform a Hard Reset? If not that, what should i do to fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1600 Firmware Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1600 Firmware Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P1600 Firmware Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 1, 2009 4:31 PM PDT

KReed84,

Try pushing the FF button down for 10-12 seconds. If that doesn't work, see if the firmware reverted your settings back to composite (yellow, red, white) outputs. If that doesn't work, then you might try calling 800-SAMSUNG for additional support, or if necessary, service.

--HDTech

Collapse -
bd-p1600 firmware
by jambalaya / July 5, 2009 4:29 PM PDT

Same thing happened here, my player is working fine until I was prompted that a new firmware is available. I updated it, did not touch anything and waited until the unit turned itself off. When i turned it back on, the LED display says LOAD. I can't use it since then.
Help....

Collapse -
bd-p1600 firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2009 4:48 PM PDT
In reply to: bd-p1600 firmware

jambalaya,

To finish the installation, the disc tray must be empty. If it isn't, take the disc out, close the door and restart the unit.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
bd-p1600 firmware
by jambalaya / July 8, 2009 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: bd-p1600 firmware

There was no disc inside. I chatted with a Samsung tech and was told that he will send me a firmware on the disc after we tried to download it in a usb that did not do any good. so, I am waiting for the disc to arrive.

Collapse -
BD P1600 Firmware 1.03 bug
by JCHawker / July 14, 2009 12:02 AM PDT

I up date my BD P1600 to firmware 1.03v, and now a have problen with SRT subtitles in Divx, repeat words in subtitle when have two line.
Where I get the old version of firmware?

Collapse -
BD P1600 Firmware 1.03 bug
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 5:28 PM PDT

JCHawker,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Unfortunately, the original firmware in the machine isn't available in a downloadable or transmittable format.

Do you mean that the subtitles have the same single line of text on both lines?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Did you say Divx?
by micheldaw / August 9, 2009 1:04 PM PDT

How does one get Divx working on the BD-P1600? Does it have to be burned to a DVD? I can't seem to get it to work on the USB

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1600 Died after newest firmware update
by BrionKean / December 22, 2009 3:28 PM PST

Our new Samsung BD-P1600 BluRay player has ceased functioning in record time - less than 12 hours out of the box. I believe the malfunction was caused by the firmware update the device performed automatically.

I have attempted some of the various solutions described here, but so far, no luck. I will purchase a USB stick tomorrow, but I have to say, after reading literally hundreds of other people complaining about this same exact problem, I am not inclined to have the unit serviced - of course not, would return to store as defective, and get a new one! Though, I am guessing it's Samsung software/firmware and the team developing it, that is defective. IE, figure out what the programmers did wrong, because their failure is making this product non-sales worthy. Currently, for the same price, Sony now offers a BluRay that also supports Netflix, YouTube, etc. Sony!

Anyway, short fuse here with Christmas on Friday. If we can't sort this out by tomorrow, back to the store Samsung goes, most likely to be replaced by a non-Samsung brand.........

Cheers!
-Brion Kean

Collapse -
Firmware doest work
by PteNick / December 30, 2009 12:33 PM PST

I update my both blu-ray players BDP-1600 and BDP-3600 and both have now the same problem with the firmware ver 2.05 xac (im in canada)

The problem is that they no more recognize the usb dongle... well in the BDP-1600 it just don't show up... and on the BDP-3600 i see the device in the menu... but not the files on the dongle...

So id like to know where can i find the firmware ver 2.04 xac for both player in cd files since the usb doesnt works

Or if you have an other option with that issues thanks

Collapse -
The same thing happened to us
by kaserin / July 2, 2009 5:24 PM PDT

We also got the message about there being a firmware update 2 days ago, so we downloaded it. It finished installing and then turned off. Now, the only way we can get back to a menu screen is to put a dvd in it, play it, wait for it to play for about 10 seconds, then stop it. Then a menu will display. When playing Netflix movies, the screen will go blank and the picture will not come back after fast forwarding it. The screen flickers as well when playing and we don't know it the picture will come back.

We had no problems the last 3 weeks we've had this player until the firmware update. It's quite devastating. We were so pleased with it until now. If anyone has a solution or knows of a way to downgrade the firmware back to the previous version, please share.

Collapse -
The same thing happened to us
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 6:00 PM PDT

kaserin,

I'm looking into this.

How was the firmware updated?

Did the firmware update via direct download, CD or Thumbdrive installation for anyone in this thread?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware update
by KReed84 / July 3, 2009 3:08 AM PDT

I updated through direct download.

Collapse -
Updated through direct download
by kaserin / July 6, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

We updated through the direct download, but not through the System Update menu. When we turned the player on, there was a message saying there was an update available and if we wanted to update, and we proceeded with the process from there.

In any case, we were able to fix the issue by going through the USB firmware update process. I made sure to take any discs out of the player, and after turning it on, and putting the USB drive in, it seems to be able to go through the process okay. We did it twice per the instructions on the web site for updating the firmware the first time. It still has an issue with the one DVD we were watching at the time, where no menu displays when we insert the dvd. It just says "No signal!" and the menu won't display until we play the dvd , wait several seconds, and then press stop. Other than that, the issues with the picture going out while forwarding and playing Netflix movies seems to have gone away. It still flickers a bit when first starting some movies but it hasn't interfered with the movie watching experience after the USB update.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by pbishop1975 / July 7, 2009 1:16 PM PDT

I had the same thing happen when i attempted to run the firmware upgrade through the wireless connection. I called samsung and they told me i had to send the unit in for repair. I took it back to best buy and got another. On this machine i ran the firmware upgrade via usb and it seemed to complete both times (as instructed.)

Now the problem i have is that the dlink wireless unit with dongle will no longer work. I have used this wireless device for nearly 2 months until i ran the firmware upgrade and now it doesnt recognize it at all. I dont know if samsung put in some sort of facility with this upgrade that only allows the samsung brand wireless unit to work or what, but now i cant use netflix or pandora.

is there anyway to move back to the previous firmware version?

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2009 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

pbishop1975,

I could see if we can make that available. If it's the original firmware that came out of the box, we may not have it.

I'm surprised to hear that a dlink USB hub worked with any of our Blu-Ray players. This is a first.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks
by pbishop1975 / July 9, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Are you saying I need to buy the samsung wireless stick?

Collapse -
Firmware update was done via USB
by FelixinMaine / July 14, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

We got it from the USB link.

Collapse -
Samsung Firmware Update Crash
by BrionKean / January 1, 2010 6:18 AM PST

In response to the question, I used the on-board firmware update, meaning, the bluray player was connected to internet via ethernet cable, and the download was done vie the bluray connecting to the Samsung network.

My solution to this problem was to return the Samsung to Best Buy, as it was still within the return period. I also told my issues to another customer, who after comparing notes, we both decided to try the LG Bluray brand, which also does YouTube and Netflix streaming, for the same price as the Samsung.

Two days later while in Target, I relayed my story to a man who had the Samsung in his shopping cart. Turns out he was also replacing a Samsung which did excactly the same firmware crash, and he was hoping the replacement would fare better.

In my opinion, this device should be recalled until the firmware can be totally reset, and never corrupted by future firmware updates. The fact that any future firmware update could render the Samsung unuseable makes the product unsellable. Again, consumer choice! LG and Sony are your best Bluray (Currently) choices for Netflix streaming. I believe the LG has a hard-reset function coded into the device, though I had none of the issues out of the box.

One more note - if you have Comcast, you will need a router. I attempted to use a switch (ethernet splitter) and it does not work with Comcast! You need a router, and then tell the router to clone the MAC address of your computer. Easier than it sounds, I have a Linksys router, and the settings page to do the MAC address clone is located at the standard IP address for all Linksys routers. You enter this into your web browser after connecting everything:

http://192.168.1.1/

The Linksys default for both login and password is "admin"

Incidentally, Sony now has a Bluray player on the market which also does Netflix, and word is Panasonic is also working with Netflix to add streaming to their device.

Another side note, as far as Netflix streaming goes, as of the end of October '09, they now have 1080i HD streaming for certain titles! Looks amazing, despite limited title selection. You go online with your computer to NEtflix, click "watch instantly", then go to the pulldown "genre" and choose "HD"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13515_3-10078091-26.html

Collapse -
reprint of my earlier post: BP-1600 firmware update disaster
by FelixinMaine / July 14, 2009 4:01 AM PDT

My month-and-a-half owned BP-1600 with USB streaming attachment kept hounding me recently every bootup to update its firmware.

Big problems!

After letting it update the firmware, it doesn't read both plain DVDs or Blu Rays correctly (opens briefly with studio logo then blank), and goes black when I try to stream Netflix. Everything pretty much worked OK before that firmware update. Also it wouldn't read my wifi router until I re-entered the connection.

Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I'm ready to send it back to Crutchfield, but afraid they won't take something over 30 days sold.

Samsung seems to have big problems with this model if you look around the internet!

Collapse -
Version 2.02; Pandora Lockup
by mapboy-pdx / September 7, 2009 5:04 AM PDT

My unit prompted for firmware upgrade, so I upgraded from v1.03 (possibly 1.04) to the latest version 2.02. Pandora was working great before the upgrade, but now locks up the unit after 1-5 minutes of playing. The sound stops, the screen freezes, and the only key on the remote that works is the Power button.

I've tried unplugging the unit, and even the unplug and then hold the FF button for 20+ seconds. No help (no obvious effect from the FF hold - how do you know this type of reset is effective?).

I wanted to try to redo the upgrade via USB, but it won't let me. It says I already have the latest firmware rev.

How can I get revision 1.03 back?

Collapse -
Version 2.02; Pandora Lockup
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 8, 2009 5:16 PM PDT

mapboy-pdx,

We're working to get those posted again for people who wish to attempt a revert.

--HDTech

Collapse -
This is not a firmware problem
by larryandcathie / December 27, 2009 11:16 AM PST

This is not a firmware problem its just that your TV can not support the default 1080p resolution of the player hook it up using the analog video output go to settings and switch the resolution to 720p and then try the HDMI output again it should work fine if your TV supports 1080I try this setting and see if this works . You will have to perform this each time you update.

Collapse -
BD-P1600 Firmware Update
by lwnichols / December 30, 2009 8:50 AM PST

I just tried to update from the version that came on my new unit (v1.03) to the version I downloaded last night (v2.05). It was VERY slow and finally just stopped at 62%. After it was stuck at 62% for an hour, I called Samsung. The guy indicated that there was a known bug and that while my BluRay DVDs should still play, that all streaming would probably not work until a new FW version is released. He advised me to unplug the unit, wait about 5 minutes and plug it in again. I did this, and I guess I'm lucky - Netflix and Pandora still seem to work via the wireless connection. I guess I'll have to wait to try out YouTube and anything else that's been added. Anyone have an idea on when the fix version should be released?

Collapse -
firmware problems too.
by speedyrev / January 1, 2010 1:13 AM PST

Last night I connected my machine to the internet and got a firmware upgrade notice. Everything worked before the upgrade.

I connect to my older analog TV via component cables. The resolution is set correctly, but when I try to click on Netflix (or any other streaming service), I get a weird double screen. I have to go back to a composite cable to be able to navigate through the menus. If I select the resolution again, everything looks normal until I try to stream anything.

Is there another firmware that I can try. Can I reinstall the firmware, will that fix it?

Collapse -
Same as post # 25
by b50bsa / January 1, 2010 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: firmware problems too.

I have a newly purchased BD-1600. I too get two screens and no color when I used the component connection. I have no idea what firmware the unit came with, and have not updated it. I would say that my problem is exactly the same as post # 25

Collapse -
reply to b50bsa
by speedyrev / January 1, 2010 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Same as post # 25

If you still have the stock firmware, make sure you connect with a single composite cable and then set your resolution to 480i. Then connect the component cables and you should get a clear pic.

Don't upgrade the firmware. That is when my problems started.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by b50bsa / January 1, 2010 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: reply to b50bsa

At the same time I bought the 1600 I bought a HD TV. They were out of stock, but it's on it's way. I'll wait for that to arrive before I do any more cable swapping, the old CRT is a bear to move out of it's spot.

Collapse -
Firmware Problems After One Day
by jhendow / January 3, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: firmware problems too.

I purchased my BD-P1600 yesterday. It worked beautifully out of the box, connecting to the internet, playing BD movies etc. At some point yesterday evening it updated its firmware and now it's thoroughly bricked. The unit is stuck on the language selection screen and says "LOAD".
I spent most of this morning searching the web for a solution, trying to update via USB, etc. Apparently this firmware update is a common enough problem that we're seeing entire forum threads dedicated to it. As there appears to be no resolution from the manufacturer, I'm giving up on this player and returning it... after less than 24 hours. I liked it while it worked, but not interested in investing any further time attempting to address this problem.

Samsung: this issue appears to have been initially reported over six months ago, and clearly it has not been addressed. I consider myself tech-savvy; I build my own computers, have a degree in computer science, and author a tech-focused blog. In four hours of searching forums, I found very few instances of success in returning this unit to stable functionality. There isn't a clear fix for this and it shouldn't be up to consumers to troubleshoot this kind of issue.

Collapse -
Re: Firmware Problems After One Day
by slowery12 / January 10, 2010 1:22 AM PST

I purchased the player yesterday @ Best Buy. Read most blog reviews, not user, seemed perfect for what we wanted. Even the flap in front is perfect because it keeps my 2 year old from mucking it up. I received the pop up for firmware last night and upgraded. It wasn't until this morning that I read all of the issues concerning the update. Had I read these posts prior I would not have agreed to update but I did and please know that sometimes it works just fine. The firmware, after completing, turned off the player, we restarted it and can still stream, still play DVDs & Blu Rays without issue. So it does work sometimes. Good luck!

Collapse -
BD Playback issues with the BDP-1600
by jlight75 / January 11, 2010 8:14 AM PST

I purchased the BDP-1600 in December. I've played one DVD that was a Blockbuster rental version (no menu, no full BD features) with no problems. Also plays DVD's just fine. I tried to play two BD's from Netflix (Transformers-Revenge of the Fallen and Angels & Demons); both fully featured BD's, and neither will play. The 1600 attempts to load them, but freezes during the load/play process, and the BD's are ejected with the "Can't play disc" error. I've downloaded the Version 2.05 firmware update and installed via USB flash drive on the player, but I still have the same playback issues. I called Samsung Customer Support, and the rep only wanted to send me a firmware DVD to install. I asked her if this was the same firmware that I just dowloaded and installed from the Samsung support website, and she couldn't answer that question. I emailed Samsung tech support, and they advised to do the the manual player reset (hold down FF buttton for 5 seconds, pick language when it re-boots, etc.) This did not fix the problem either. They also confirmed it was the same firmware version (2.05) on the DVD I'm supposed to receive in 3-10 business days that I've already installed via USB, so I see no reason to think this DVD will fix my problem at this point. Not real happy with my initial Samsung BD player experience.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!