Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1600 Cannot be activated for Netflix?

by taylorad / August 30, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

I had the netflix all set up on this unit and working fine, then I was away for a few days and I return to a message that says:

"Sorry, this device cannot be activated. For assistance please contact the Samsung Customer Care Center."

Really an incredibly helpful message, what with including the phone number and all. I tried to deactivate the device in my Netflix account (in hopes I could just run through the activation process again) but I still am getting the same message.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1600 Cannot be activated for Netflix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1600 Cannot be activated for Netflix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am receiving the same error with my BD-P1600
by bradditzell / August 30, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

I am receiving the same error listed above. Note my Samsung has worked with Netflix for 4 months.

All software updates ran. Router has been reset. Unit has been powered off and back on. Pandora connection works.

Then I performed a soft reset of my BD-P1600 ( hold FF for 10 sec ). It prompted be to activate my Blu?Ray to Netflix. I went to www.netflix.com/activate and was in the activation process when...

On my TV I received.

"Sorry, this device cannot be activated. For assistance, please contact Samsung Customer Care Center".

On www.Netflix.com I received.

"Your activation has completed."

Any thoughts for the both of us?

Collapse -
Sorry, this device cannot be activated. BD-P1600/Netflix
by consultingbob / August 30, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

Hmmm...I just got my box last weekend, worked fine all week, watched many movies - even several last night from a "series". Then, suddenly, I got this EXACT message today which is what prompted me to find this forum.

Of course, I didn't find the message and the problem until just before 3pm Pacific time, and the paperwork that came with the player said that Support was open until 6pm on Sundays - but neglected to say that it was EASTERN time. The Samsung.com website says that support is only available M-F 9-6. Nice little omission there, with added inconsistency, just like the part of the box that said that the BD-P1600 was "Wireless Ready". Something I am coming to expect from Samsung now.

However, with these reports of the same problem, in the same day - I am wondering if there isn't some sort of problem on Samsung's part that is causing a network authentication of our devices to fail, between our devices and Netflix?

I did a COMPLETE reset of the device to Factory settings, deleted the device from Netflix, completely reactivated it after setting everything back up. It allowed me to re-add it to Netflix, reloaded my queue, then gave me the same error message and kicked me out again.

Collapse -
working for now
by taylorad / August 30, 2009 1:10 PM PDT

I seem to have mine working again, for the moment.

I followed these steps, allowing about 10 minutes between each one.

1. Delete device from Netflix.

2. Soft reset (hold FF for 10 sec)

3. Go through activation again.

The steps did not work the first time around so I decided to wait between each one and that seems to have done it, for the moment.

A piece of advice to samsung though: Why not put the number which we are supposed to call in the text of this error message?

Collapse -
Looks like Netflix has it working again!
by consultingbob / August 30, 2009 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: working for now

Thanks to Brad's message, it looks like Netflix may have found & fixed the problem if it's working for you.

I just checked and it's working for me now as well.

Thanks Brad!

Collapse -
oh well.
by taylorad / August 30, 2009 1:26 PM PDT

I guess the only part of my "solution" that mattered was waiting some time...

Collapse -
Not totally useless :)
by consultingbob / August 30, 2009 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: oh well.

It was great instructions for how to reset & reactivate for Netflix! Happy

I had already done that myself, although I didn't include the instructions here myself. Maybe someone coming along later will see them and they will be helpful? You never know!

Collapse -
Working
by bradditzell / August 30, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

I am up and woking now too. Not sure if my tweet was the reason they found the problem, or if they already knew about the problem.

However I am glad you all are up and going now.

Have a great night!

Collapse -
Response from Samsung via Twitter
by bradditzell / August 30, 2009 1:05 PM PDT

Post I made (@BradDitzell)

@Netflix Error on my Samsung BD-P1600 with Netflix "Sorry, this device cannot be activated." People w/ same issue http://tinyurl.com/mkxlm6

Response (@Netflixhelps)

@BradDitzell sorry about that - we're working on getting it fixed.

Collapse -
"Sorry, this device cannot be activated" problem is back
by seanpriddy / August 31, 2009 12:17 PM PDT

I went through the process Brad describes above last night. It worked perfectly. However, as of 9:45PM EST today, I get the same error again {sigh}. This time I have tried repeatedly to use the same process to no avail.

S/W: BEv1.03_090528_XAA
Loader: LDv1.11_090221__
Region: A/1 (BD/DVD)
Device ID: SSBDBAA60712A65C3997708231A3101E

I have had Samsung BluRay BD-P1600 since Aug.1 and it has worked flawlessly until 8/30/2009.

I'm going through instant streaming withdrawl......

Collapse -
Same problem here
by edjandrews / September 1, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

I have been having the same problem. I picked up the 1590 from Costco last week and watched about 4 movies over the weekend. I upgraded to the latest firmware and didn't notice any problems after upgrading. On Sunday, I went to startup Netflix and received the "sorry" message. I am able to get it working again by unplugging the box for a few seconds. Sometimes I need to do this a couple of times.

I have received the message after getting into my queue and then waiting too long to make a selection. I then get the "Sorry" message again.

Based on this, it seems like a communication issue between the Smasung box and Netflix. I have also setup Pandora and it has worked flawlessly.

Collapse -
re: Same problem here
by consultingbob / September 1, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

On Sunday, it was a problem on Netflix's side with their streaming service, complicated by a very poor error message on the Samsung Blu-ray player that gave us no help determining what the problem really was.

If you are still having the problem you should try contact Netflix support. Maybe check on Twitter at the @netflixhelps address that Brad posted above, see if they have posted any updates about a recurrence of the problem.

Collapse -
In Brazil
by Zacadan / April 19, 2016 6:36 AM PDT

Hi, i'm from Brazil and i have a BD-P1600. I've updated the firmware and for my surprise it comes just with youtube app. Why my blue ray doesn't have netflix app? It's different model from USA? thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?