Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1580 problem with Pause on USB

by bekwai / February 21, 2010 2:14 AM PST

I have just bought a Samsung BD-P1580 which is a fine machine, and have successfully updated it to the latest firmware. The only problem I have is that when I play Divx movies using the USB interface with either a USB stick or hard drive, and pause the movie, after two minutes or so the machine switches to STOP and loses the place in the movie. This does not happen with DVD or Blu-Ray discs, where the pause control lasts indefinitely. Is this a problem with the spec which could be solved through a firmware upgrade, or just with my machine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1580 problem with Pause on USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1580 problem with Pause on USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P1580 problem with Pause on USB
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2010 3:51 PM PST

bekwai,

The design to turn it off after a short time is to avoid problems with panels and image retention. I can send this up as a suggestion for future firmware updates, but I wouldn't be aware of that being implemented unless it's released.

Instead of pressing pause, try pressing STOP, and then when you come back, hit PLAY. It may work with some file formats, but just a suggestion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-P1580 problem aith Pause on USB
by bekwai / February 25, 2010 5:02 PM PST

Thank you for your reply. I have tried using STOP instead but it always reverts to the beginning of the file.
When using Pause with DVDs after a while it changes to a screen saver to prevent burn-in, so presumably it could do the same with USB playback. Please pass my suggestion to the team for the next firmware revision.
Thanks

Collapse -
BD-P1580 problem aith Pause on USB
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2010 6:04 PM PST

bekwai,

I will be happy to do so.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1580
by ugsters / April 3, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

I have the same model and am frustrated by the same problem as mentioned here. Has there been any advances in the firmware to solve this to date or are there any plans for this in the future?

Many thanks

Collapse -
Pause problem in addition with other for DIVX files
by apaschou / March 15, 2011 7:41 AM PDT

Hi,

I experienced the same issue about the pause. The use of STOP doesn't bring any improvement. By the way, this happens for all DIVX. They can be on USB or burned DVD, there is no difference. I thought that I could workaround that by checking the time of the video when doing pause and doing fast-forwarding or jumping to this point when I come back.

But In addition with the issue describes in this post, I faced the following issues (note that I already updated the the latest firmware...). Still with DIVX (v 5.0):

- When jumping to a certain time (whatever it is), the image is frozen. Then, after a while, the video restarts at the beginning
- When using fast forward (x2, x4, x8), the image freeze. If I press "play" again to normally recover x1 speed, the video restart at the beginning.

I am interested in knowing if there is a plan to correct this. If not, Is there any suggestion how to go back quickly to a certain point of a DIVX file ? I couldn't find another solution till now.

Regards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.