Question

BD-P1580 mkv/mp4 compability

Hi all,
I have a SAMSUNG BD-P1580 Blu-Ray DVD Player(Updated its firmware just an hour ago). I have been trying to watch some video files I have loaded on a USB Stick, but when I browse the "Video" Tab in the USB Stick Files Menu, I can see some .avi files I have loaded, but some other .mkv or .mp4 don't even appear to be on the usb stick. Is there anything I could do to be able to play mkv/mp4 files(apart from converting them to avi) ?

Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BD-P1580 mkv/mp4 compability
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BD-P1580 mkv/mp4 compability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To look at this I went to this web page.
- Collapse -
Answer
I see no mention of MKV in the manual or features.

Can you share where you found this item?

- Collapse -
You mean the player ?

Which item ?

- Collapse -
My question is this.

Since I found no mention of such capability in this product, I wanted to find out where you looked that mentioned it could do this. Just in case I missed it or got the wrong product.
Bob

- Collapse -
Kinda nowhere

I didn't see anywhere it supported it(for sure), but I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't play these formats..

- Collapse -
I was looking

I was looking for a reason it would play these files. Sorry if my answer is unclear here but I answer you with a direct no, you may get upset or have expected a longer answer.

Instead I went to the product site, downloaded the manual and check the product features and this feature is not there.

For now, the answer looks to be that it does not do this.
Bob

- Collapse -
k..

Ok, then it just does not support it..
Anyway, ty!

- Collapse -
Answer
no news ?

Hello !
I'm french and the same problem !!
Have you some news about this problem ?
why this difference between 2 players ??
Thanx

- Collapse -
The difference can be

The CPU, RAM and such used in the player. If there is not enough code space for a feature then the feature is not implemented.

But what I'm encountering today are folk that think as if this is some PC and updates add features. Think of it like a toaster. If it arrives with 2 slots, you can't add more slots.
Bob

- Collapse -
right

You're right ! but never say never !! like a magic toaster ! Wink

CNET Forums