Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1580 image distortion

by davidaprice / January 9, 2010 11:25 PM PST

I have just bought a Samsung BD-P1580 Blu-Ray player and a Samsung P2770H monitor, and connected them with an HDMI cable. (In practice there will be an Onkyo TX-SR577 home theatre amplifier between them, but the problem is the same whether I connect directly or via the Onkyo).

The monitor's screen image is solid green for the left 1/3, and the right 2/3 shows a Samsung Blu-Ray disk logo, heavily distorted and with rainbow-striped colours. I uploaded a photo of the screen to here:
http://www.greenpoppy.net/samsung.jpg
When I played a Blu-Ray disk, it played fine, except with corresponding horrible image and colour distortions.

I tried resetting the Blu-Ray player by holding down the FF button for 5 seconds: it displayed 'RESET', but the picture did not change.

To check whether the monitor or Blu-Ray disk player was to blame, I connected our other Blu-Ray player, a Samsung BD-P1500, to the monitor using the same cable. This worked perfectly. When I connected our HD-Ready TV to the new BDP-1580, the TV would not display a picture (some error about unsupported mode, which I forgot to write down).

Is this some configuration problem I can correct myself (the Blu-Ray player's on-screen menu system is partially visible through the distortion), or should I return the Blu-Ray player to the shop (Verkkokauppa.com in Helsinki, Finland)? Can I expect that a replacement player will work, or is the BDP-1580 somehow incompatible with the P2770H monitor?

Thanks,
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1580 image distortion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1580 image distortion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Replacement has same fault
by davidaprice / January 12, 2010 2:46 AM PST

Local Samsung support told me to return the device as 'dead on arrival'. I just collected the replacement, plugged it in, and the image fault is just the same! Is the BD-P1580 for some reason incompatible with the Samsung P2770H monitor? I checked again - the monitor still works fine with the same HDMI cable and my old BD-P1500.

Collapse -
Replacement has same fault
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2010 10:54 AM PST

davidaprice,

Have you tried changing the resolution in the Blu-Ray player to a higher setting than the default setting?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Changing resolution didn't help
by davidaprice / January 13, 2010 7:51 PM PST

The Blu-Ray player's default resolution setting seemed to be 1080p, which I think should be correct for this HD monitor. Although the image was terribly distorted, I was able to see the on-screen menu well enough to change to each of the other available resolutions. The result was slightly different but similarly distorted images on the monitor.

I tried to use the on-screen menus to set up networking and download a firmware upgrade, but I couldn't read them clearly enough to do that. I have now returned the replacement player to the shop, where they will run some of their own tests.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.